Spring compressor needed?

Jond63

:
2012 Mazda 2 Touring Liquid Silver
Do I need a spring compressor to install either the Eibach or H&R spring kit?

A spring under compression is a restrained force and carries a danger. Always be careful. Its all fun and games until someone loses a finger..... You are officially warned.

I took my struts apart with an impact electric driver. You take the strut off of the car, intact, and lay it on its side on the ground. Put a foot on top of the spring and, with the impact tool, knock the big nut off. It'll spring apart with a little force. I kept my fingers (toes, etc) out of the way.

The new springs are shorter and will be easy to install.

The rears just come out when the rear beam gets drooped.

Look up my Bilstein coilover install thread where I covered some of this (with photos).

John

P.S. I have never done it but I have been told that people have used hose clamps to restrain the springs.

Last edited:
You don't need them for the rears, but I'd definitely recommend them when working on any MacPherson strut-type suspension like we have up front. Most auto parts stores will loan out spring compressors for free. Whatever way you decide to do it, an impact driver is definitely useful to have.

Like others said, not for rear but I would recommend for the front, especially if you're not an everyday tech or haven't done many spring installs. I've done the lay on ground with a foot on one end and it can get a little sketchy depending on the car and the spring rate of the springs. I know you can pick up spring compressors at Sears for like $40 and probably cheaper at Harbor Freight. It's worth it to have it around if you ever need it again.

Ok, thank you all -- I've done the spring swap on my Miata a few years ago and did the AutoZone rental which worked really well. I figured I did need one for the fronts, but thought maybe I could get away with it if the stockers were light enough. I'll just rent them again since I don't do this very often.

if you get bored feel free to do a right up with photos...I have to install the H&R's soon as well as soon as Jess drives them over ;-)

if you get bored feel free to do a right up with photos...I have to install the H&R's soon as well as soon as Jess drives them over ;-)
lol, true. It was pretty easy to be honest. Especially the rears!

Back