SPOOL Stage3 dyno stats!!!

A larger throttle body would help in FI but the main thing that will help out FI setups is either a custom tubular intake manifold or to port and polish your own the option of the FS-ZE manifold is ther ebut not worth it when you can have a custom one made for the same price. The power of the F series motor lies in the head. Get a good port and polish along with a 3 angle valve job and you will see some nice gains especially with a FI setup.

Agreed;)

Hey spoolin what would you guess are the specs on your stage 3 kit like 0 to 60 times or quarter mile times, even if you don't know what would be your best guess, i might buy your kit right away if i get a mp3 and not a msp.

My guess would be high 13 sec to mid 14 sec times. A turboed stage 3 MP3 will destroy a MSP ;)

i have a question ... does the turbo kits pass emmissions testing and smog, are they carb legal? i live in california and they are pretty strict on emmissions.

blackp5 said:
i have a question ... does the turbo kits pass emmissions testing and smog, are they carb legal? i live in california and they are pretty strict on emmissions.

As i remember it does not pass emmissions. I live in NJ so i'm in the same boat as you. That is the only reason i didn't buy spoolin stage 1 kit. Emmission laws SUCK and so does NJ!!!

If your worried about the emission part, you'r better off buying the MSP. I used to be worried about emissions too, but thanks to a couple of friends in the area, I've located a shady smog tech. And I'm never in an area where I'll get popped by the police.

i just bought my p5 like two weeks ago.. plus i can't afford a msp.. i'm 18, a full time college student , and have a not so good paying part time job....

the fm kit is carb legal in california and canada. from what I have been told on this forum....does anyone know why this is...and if spools kit could be modded to be legal

Are trannies can hold up pass 250 horsepower. Its the same one as the ford probe gt v6. G series just needs an upgrade to stage 1 ,2 or 3. Also the mx6.

Spool, does your kit get rid of the pre cat?

Is there a way it could be temporarily moded to pass?

spoolinmp3 said:
Yeah I really have not dealt with cams and was always told that there were no real significant gains per dollar ratio compared to cheaper mods like exhausts ect
That is so funny you said that. I'm about to start working for a guy here in Indy who customizes Porsches for street and full racing (air-cooled class). He uses ONE SET of cams for all the tuning he does (for each motor, Porsche has stuck about 7 in the "911" body style). He rags on and on about how once you find a good, reliable set of cams, you DONT EVER TOUCH THEM AGAIN. He was able, just by changing the size and shape of the combustion chamber and intake and exhaust valves to realize a 57 HP (I've seen the dynos) gain out of a 3.6L motor. The car belongs to my uncle, a former SCCA driver (and boss of the race shop where I learned my sh*t). Of course, that is with high-flow exhaust, fake cat (which is hilarious in itself), and chip modifications as well. So we're prob. talking in the 30's for the head job alone.

Point is, cams are not where the power is. The secret is giving the air the easiest path possible. I've sat in front of a flow table and watched what hundredths of a millimeter change inside the head can do to flow. IT's amazing.

Which is another reason why Spool's tubular manifold is so much more effective than the log. The air gets to go where it wants to go.

Last edited:
Kooldino said:
Spool, does your kit get rid of the pre cat?

Is there a way it could be temporarily moded to pass?

Yes it gets rid of the pre-cat and as far as how to pass...

Stage 1 will pass emmsions no doubt. But to pass emmissions in Cali(if lets say it would not pass) there is a way

The way a piggy back or FMU works is that once it senses boost it adds fuel. This inturn makes a rich condition which subsequently will not pass emmisions. But there is a way around this. Here is the way it works.
A turbo is bolted up by a manifold correct?
What you will have to do is bypass the system. I will explain it on the stage 1 kit(this will work with intercooled kits too)
As you know the turbo on the stage 1 is forced feeding air thru its outlet via the charge pipe(the one with the BOV on it) This pipe goes to the throttle body. Now the intake bolts up to the turbos compressor with a pipe that connects to the MAF, which then connects to the airfilter.(this is the where you can see the compressor wheel).
You simply unbolt the intake pipe with the filter on it. Then you unbolt the charge pipe from throttle body. You then connect the intake with the airfilter to the throttle body(just like a CAI system) Now the engine is sucking air vs bieng force fed. Hence the FMU is not sieng boost and will not add fuel and viola!!! You pass emmisions in al 50 states. So basically you are unbolting 2 pipes. This will take 20 minutes at most and when you are done, you put everything back and you boost happily ever after

Basically the turbo will still spool but will throw its pressurizd air into the atmosphere. This is not bad at all for the turbo.

Equinox said:

Stage 1 will pass emmsions no doubt. But to pass emmissions in Cali(if lets say it would not pass) there is a way

The way a piggy back or FMU works is that once it senses boost it adds fuel. This inturn makes a rich condition which subsequently will not pass emmisions. But there is a way around this. Here is the way it works.
What you will have to do is bypass the system. I will explain it on the stage 1 kit(this will work with intercooled kits too)
As you know the turbo on the stage 1 is forced feeding air thru its outlet via the charge pipe(the one with the BOV on it) This pipe goes to the throttle body. Now the intake bolts up to the turbos compressor with a pipe that connects to the MAF, which then connects to the airfilter.(this is the where you can see the compressor wheel).
You simply unbolt the intake pipe with the filter on it. Then you unbolt the charge pipe from throttle body. You then connect the intake with the airfilter to the throttle body(just like a CAI system) Now the engine is sucking air vs bieng force fed. Hence the FMU is not sieng boost and will not add fuel and viola!!! You pass emmisions in al 50 states. So basically you are unbolting 2 pipes. This will take 20 minutes at most and when you are done, you put everything back and you boost happily ever after

Basically the turbo will still spool but will throw its pressurizd air into the atmosphere. This is not bad at all for the turbo.

Interesting! And do you figure this will pass visual inspection in California? I am in the same boat with the smog laws.

Secondly does the spoolin stage 1 or stage 3 kit with the stage 1 manifiold throw any CELs?

Equinox said:

That's a damn good idea, 'nox...BUT what if you're running the microtech system? Things won't be so easy with idle and all. Hmmm...terry?

Kooldino said:

That's a damn good idea, 'nox...BUT what if you're running the microtech system? Things won't be so easy with idle and all. Hmmm...terry?

actualy not my idea, got it from a knowledgable turbo guru that will go unnamed, I'm gonna guess Terry knows the details about exceptions, and visual inspect, but dunno if he'll tell ya how to get around inspections, he's an officer of the law :D

Ahhhm ex-cop;)
Well actually I am still a reserve/volunteer officer. I quit law enforcement full time last month to pursue Spool.
However I still can give you a ticket in Florida but if you buy a Spool turbo kit you will be immune from tickets....lol:D
Actually here's a funny story
Everybody in my district/precinct knows of me and my passion for turbo's. Alot of the guys know of my company Spool as well. An unnamed customer of mine with a Spool turbo was hauling ass in his turbo pro and was pulled over by an officer for sppeding. As this unnamed person was getting a ticket another officer walks up to the car and saw the spool sticker on the car and says you know Terry? And he responded yeah and they withdrew the ticket and wanted to check out what was under the hood ;)

Ehhh I live in Jersey too and I am still damn curious about this..I really want a turbo but Don't wanna do it if I can't pass emmissions...Terry, you have any ideas?

For everybody worried about NJ inspection...it's really a pathetic joke. I drove a 12 second El Camino in and came out with a nice new sticker (Of course, it's fuel injected!) V8 Volvos pass smog test here all the time(visual in NJ only consists of checking for a cat), and my "soon to be" supercharged P5 will pass...I guarantee it. Honestly, I don't think they'd know that there were 2 cats to begin with so removing one probably won't be a big deal. I bet Spool's kit will pass emissions in NJ without unhooking the FMU. If not, maybe consider supplemental air injection into the exhaust. This way, nothing to unhook and you'll pass roadside stops if they ever try to get you on those! Put it on a separate belt that you can remove at the track.
Just a few thoughts. The Microtech will actually make it even easier to pass. We have a floppy disk with the "track" maps, "street" maps and the "emissions" program on the DFI for that one nasty day of waiting in line at the inspection station every two years.

Mike

Back