Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

What a shame, that seat wasn't comfortable. Otherwise I was interested in getting one, but no sense in even bring the family to try it out if I'm not comfortable. My search continues, I'll guess I'll see what the new CRV is like, they are overhauling it and rumor has it that they might add a third row. Believe it when I see it, but at least they are bringing Android Auto and Carplay to their new models.

My perspective in terms of the new engine: In summary I think I would really like it. LOL Now onto why, mainly because of two things that really stand out: amazing fuel efficiency and lots of shove really down low. The biggest weak link of the V6 is its fuel economy, specially city driving. Short commutes which are typical around here, deliver a very low fuel economy readout. I want a more fuel efficient vehicle, without losing of the other good attributes the car has. So, they took care of that, and I am really glad. Yeah, when the V6 stretches its legs it can be quite good -I have seen high 20s with the car full of people and the a/c on. That is great, but that barely happens.

Now, do I value horsepower? Of course I do, that is why I love the V6 and its good hp number. Do I access this amount of peak horsepower daily? No. Not at all. Do I need to? No, not at all. Do I access peak torque? No, not at all. Do I need to? No, in the majority of the real world driving conditions, no.
When I had my 2008 cx-9 I really liked to rev it, to punch it for fun. Now, I have done that so many times, that doesnt need to be done no more. And besides, for real power or speed , you simply use another car, more suitable for such playful actions. Now you simply feel the car is kinda slow actually (which happens when you move to higher powered machines). And besides, is a family car first and foremost.
What would I value? What the new engine seemly delivers, which is great amount of torque with barely touching the go pedal. At just 2000 rpm? Lovely. All the way to 4000 rpm? Lovely.
So, now I pay attention to what is actually done most of the time, which is driving between 1500 and 3000 rpms. With good fuel economy. I think this applies to many customers, and this is why Mazda researched and came with that engine.

My 2009 Touring driver's seat bottom tilts up and down independently of the seat back. Before I figured this out (after a few days), I could not sit comfortably in the car, let alone drive it safely. This is a MANDATORY feature in my opinion, as there is no way whatsoever I could drive/own the CX-9 without it and will no longer consider the new model now. Thanks for confirming this major shortcoming. What specifically are the 8 adjustments claimed on the Mazda website under Packages & Options & Accessories for the 8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support? I noticed that under the Standard Seating and Trim, they do indicate only a 6-way manual adjusted driver's seat.
8-way power seat adjustments include:

• Seat forward and backward (2)
  • Seat back recline (2)
  • Seat base up and down without tilting (2)
  • Power lumbar support (2)
Mazda has 8-way power driver seat on every top-of-line model. I've not seen 10, 12, or even 16-way power seat offered by Mazda. On other brands, having the capability of seat-base tilting would be catagoried as 10 or 12-way power seat, never called it 8-way power seat.

Dealers are so stupid sometimes. Like people can't just go and buy another really good midsized cross over....

Dealers add extra markup to new vehicles like this only because there are ding dongs out there who will pay it. :(

On other brands, having the capability of seat-base tilting would be catagoried as 10 or 12-way power seat, never called it 8-way power seat.

I don't know if I've ever owned a vehicle with a tilting seat pan (Does my new Durango? Not sure. EDIT: yes it does), but it hasn't mattered because the manufacturer knew to give the seat pan the proper amount of tilt to begin with.

Seems like a boneheaded move by Mazda to make this mistake/design decision.

Last edited:
What a shame, that seat wasn't comfortable. Otherwise I was interested in getting one, but no sense in even bring the family to try it out if I'm not comfortable. My search continues, I'll guess I'll see what the new CRV is like, they are overhauling it and rumor has it that they might add a third row. Believe it when I see it, but at least they are bringing Android Auto and Carplay to their new models.
Yeah it's a shame that for ~$40K car it doesn't even offer more seat adjustments for different needs from drivers. Mazda sometimes is "penny wise and pound foolish" the way they're trying to save cost. This is a perfect example, so as eliminating the memory seat feature on top-of-line CX-5.

It's actually been confirmed that the new 5th-gen Honda CR-V will have the 3rd-row seating as an option. Honda usually is pretty good on cabin space utilization with better reliability record. Unfortunately in the US CVT is still here but a better 8-speed automatic will be offered in Europe and other regions.

I see where I got tricked into thinking the seat bottom has the tilting function in the "8 way power seat". For example, the new Prius has an "8 way power seat" with a full tilting seat bottom. The seat bottom in the Prius has 6 functions. Forward, back, front up, front down, rear up, rear down. The seat back also is power recline. Here's the catch. The description in their specs on the Prius, along with every other Toyota with a power seat, is "8 way power seat with power lumbar". This is essentially a 10 way power seat, but that's not how they word it. Mazda on the other hand just calls it an "8 way power seat". Nothing about the power lumbar, so you have to subtract 2 functions from the seat bottom. All you have left is the entire seat bottom raising and lowering as a whole. They have fooled me into thinking the drivers seat had full power function for going on a year now. I just read "8 way power seat" and thought great! So, complete deal breaker for me. The ONLY reason I want a power seat is for the ability of tilting the seat bottom.

As far as features go, I will say this:

Where are the front parking sensors, the ventilated seats
In another category, where is the active parking assistant

It seems this vehicle comes very well equipped sans those options that I would think will be added later on.
I find this new gen appealing indeed.

I see where I got tricked into thinking the seat bottom has the tilting function in the "8 way power seat". For example, the new Prius has an "8 way power seat" with a full tilting seat bottom. The seat bottom in the Prius has 6 functions. Forward, back, front up, front down, rear up, rear down. The seat back also is power recline. Here's the catch. The description in their specs on the Prius, along with every other Toyota with a power seat, is "8 way power seat with power lumbar". This is essentially a 10 way power seat, but that's not how they word it. Mazda on the other hand just calls it an "8 way power seat". Nothing about the power lumbar, so you have to subtract 2 functions from the seat bottom. All you have left is the entire seat bottom raising and lowering as a whole. They have fooled me into thinking the drivers seat had full power function for going on a year now. I just read "8 way power seat" and thought great! So, complete deal breaker for me. The ONLY reason I want a power seat is for the ability of tilting the seat bottom.
In Honda's term, it states:

"Driver's Seat with 10-Way Power Adjustment, Including Power Lumbar Support"

This definitely includes seat bottom tilting feature like Toyota's.

Many CX-5 owners got tricked by "8-way power driver seat" without mentioning "with memory" as most people assume power seat comes with memory. I think the power seat without memory like CX-5 would become an annoying feature if you have two drivers driving the same car. This is the Mazda way trying to save money for North American market as the memory seat is offered in other markets on CX-5.

Power driver seat on CX-9 doesn't offer seat-bottom tilting feature is really a disappointment as this feature is even offered on much cheaper Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4.

Not having a tilting drivers seat is disappointing, so that means you just have to sit in the seat yourself and see if its comfortable or not. My CX5 touring has a 6 way + manual lumbar, so the seat bottom cannot tilt and can only go up and down. However in the cx5 GT, it's a 8 way (seat bottom tilts) and has a manual lumbar.

I would have thought the CX9 copied the CX5 GT with tilting seat bottom and manual lumbar. That is a combination I would have preferred. Granted you don't adjust the seat positions much, but it would have been nice to have the option to tilt.

I was able to find a comfortable seating position in my CX5, but do agree that a seat bottom tilting feature would improve comfort even more. This just adds to the list of things to look out for when I have time to visit the dealer.

The seat adjustability is a concern of mine as well. I would expect such an upscale vehicle to have that level of control. I guess if Mazda has never had the tilting the feature, then it shouldn't be as much of a surprise. Although it was never mentioned in the press releases, I was hoping that the Signature upgrade would get you better seats and not just better leather for your money.

If I don't find the seats to my liking, that puts my interest back towards to Edge. I don't need a 3rd row - only need room for 4 tall people. But the Mazda has me stoked for the refinement yet good driving dynamics *and* class leading fuel economy. I've sat in the Edge and seat adjustability and comfort are a strength. Of course Ford does other annoying things like I don't think I can get the advanced safety and tech in the Edge without a heavy and $1800 expensive pano sunroof which robs headroom, the very reason the need a taller back seat area has me looking at crossovers vs. sedans.

Not having a tilting drivers seat is disappointing, so that means you just have to sit in the seat yourself and see if its comfortable or not. My CX5 touring has a 6 way + manual lumbar, so the seat bottom cannot tilt and can only go up and down. However in the cx5 GT, it's a 8 way (seat bottom tilts) and has a manual lumbar.

I would have thought the CX9 copied the CX5 GT with tilting seat bottom and manual lumbar. That is a combination I would have preferred. Granted you don't adjust the seat positions much, but it would have been nice to have the option to tilt.

I was able to find a comfortable seating position in my CX5, but do agree that a seat bottom tilting feature would improve comfort even more. This just adds to the list of things to look out for when I have time to visit the dealer.
The "8-way power driver seat" in our 2016 CX-5 GT has power operations on seat slide, height adjustment, front height adjustment of seat bottom, seat recline, and lumbar support adjustment. So seat bottom tilts and lumbar support is powered.

Don't assume anything unless Mazda put in writing on features available. I thought memory seat is there with power seat on CX-5, but it's not. Sometimes things clearly stated in Mazda's sales brochure but ended up is missing too, i.e. live traffic support in navigation system.

I priced a new CX5 and the memory seat is available.. actually not 2017 but 2016.5 is what he told me. Mid year change 2016.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Sorry... sounds like salesman gave you erroneous info. No '16.5 owners here have reported that option showing up. If you can grab a picture of vehicle at dealer with option please post.

I priced a new CX5 and the memory seat is available.. actually not 2017 but 2016.5 is what he told me. Mid year change 2016.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

There's no memory function on 2016.5 CX-5's 8-way power driver seat for North American market. Either you "assumed" the power seat comes with memory feature, or your salesman was giving you wrong information. There's no power passenger seat on 2016.5 CX-5 like you mentioned earlier either! A friend of mine has a 2016.5 CX-5 GT replacing his hail-damaged 2014 CX-5 Touring and I've seen it.

Besides, memory function is too costly to add if it isn't installed from factory. So dealer-installed memory seat is also next to impossible as these many expensive parts required to convert with memory function simply are not available here in the US.

Back