2016~2023 Sounds like broken computer fan...

:
21 Cx9 Tour Prm
Searched and browsed, but couldn't find a similar thread. I hate these "I hear this weird noise" threads, but I'm going to do one myself. Here it goes...

My '21 CX9 has a very subtle noise that sounds like a bad bearing on an almost broken computer fan spinning up as I rev the engine a bit.

Other symptoms:
-It occurs at idle initially, but tends to go away after significant amount of time with engine on.
-But, even when it's worm, I can hear it at very small amount of throttle. At larger throttle I think the engine noise is overwhelm it.
-It definitely has some relationship to the throttle position. When the car is worm at idle, I won't hear it until I gentle rev the engine to about 1500RPM, and I can hear it spin up gently.

Honestly, it's pretty subtle. I can accept it if it's not an issue. What I do want to avoid is some bad part or some thing about to fail. (i.e. bad turbo bearing??)

If you guys have any ideas please let me know.

I can't record it. It's too subtle.

Sounds like this at 30 sec:

Except it spins up and down as you rev the engine over idle.

Upvote 0
Does it do it when the temperature controls are off? Sometimes this could be caused by the climate control fan getting more voltage from the alternator and spinning a bit faster when the engine revs a little bit more from idle.

Upvote 0
If you have ice/snow, could be ice that got in through ac vent. Cycle through modes and speeds and warm it up.

Upvote 0
Have you popped the hood and stuck your head in the engine bay and asked someone to rev up the engine? It's possible that's the source of the sound, it just sounds like it's from behind the dash. I wouldn't expect a computer fan to be affected by engine RPMs.

Upvote 0
Have you popped the hood and stuck your head in the engine bay and asked someone to rev up the engine? It's possible that's the source of the sound, it just sounds like it's from behind the dash. I wouldn't expect a computer fan to be affected by engine RPMs.
Just to be clear, I"m not saying it's a computer fan. it "SOUNDS LIKE" a computer fan.

It's been snowing here in NY a lot. As a result, my cx9 has been buried in snow for the last week. I've been driving my second car, Jeep Wrangler....

I'll reply back when I drive the car again.

Upvote 0
Is it coming from the dash/gauge cluster?

Wonder if it’s the same thing reported by turbo cx-5 owners.

Upvote 0
You know, I kinda hear a weird sound that could be described as mosquito like. However, I hear it when I go to plug in the block heater immediately after parking the car. And it's kinda loud. When I plug it in, I tend to crouch down at the front of the car, driver's side. I hear a weird buzzing sound that I have no idea what it could be caused by. Some kind of motor perhaps but what motors needs to run when you shut the car off? Anyway, do you hear any sounds after shutting the car off?

I also hear a weird clunk that seems to come from the front passenger side when I open the driver door after shutting the car off. I don't know if I even want to know what that is.

Upvote 0
I hear it too after shutting the engine off for a few minutes. I am certaint that is normal. I am not sure what it is but this isn’t my first car with a few noises after shut off.

Upvote 0
Back