Sometimes, I wish I could trade a few IQ points for a bit more common sense.... =)

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
Allegedly, I have an IQ that's a bit higher than average (or so I've always been told). Please understand, I'm not sharing this to brag or be conceited because I don't feel 'smarter' than most people. The only real difference between me and most folks I know is that I "over-think" EVERYTHING and analyze every decision to the point of "analysis paralysis"! You should see me trying to figure which package of toilet paper is the best value at the grocery store! (spin)

Unfortunately, the tradeoff is that 'common sense' escapes me at times.

After 11 months and 15,000 (turned today) miles in my 2012 CX-9 GT, I just realized something very handy today! When I unlock the doors using the "request button" on the passenger side door or the liftgate to UNLOCK the vehicle, pressing it once UNLOCKS ALL THE DOORS! Now that I've realized this and look at it logically, what else would they do? The passenger door isn't going to unlock and leave the driver's side door locked.....duh!

I still haven't mastered the double-press on the driver's side request button, but I gave up on that long ago. I just use the remote fob if needed.

Although I M not a fan of Mazda's Smartkey card it sure beats having to stick a key in the door lock and turn. The double press on the drivers door button is safety overkill.

Although I M not a fan of Mazda's Smartkey card it sure beats having to stick a key in the door lock and turn. The double press on the drivers door button is safety overkill.

When I bought my CX-9 last year, I referred to the whole advanced keyless entry and keyless ignition as a "smart-ass key system" rather than a smart-key system. But from what I've been told, it is signficantly improved over the 'card keys' used previously. They switched to the remote fob like mine either in 2010 or 2011.

I love that I can lock, unlock and start the car without the fob ever leaving my pocket! The only minor complaint I have is opening the Power Liftgate as I'm approaching, which requires me to get the remote fob out and (once I'm close enough) press the UNLOCK button TWICE to unlock ALL doors (one press just opens the driver's door). Then I have to press and HOLD the OPEN button for at least one second for it to work. Most of the time, I end up standing there like a douche waiting for it to finish opening....just pressing the OPEN button should automatically trigger the doors to unlock, IMO.

Most of the time, I just open the rear gate manually. But I do use the CLOSE button mounted on the bottom of the liftgate door to close it automatically.

There were several 'personalization' features that the dealer could modify in the ECU to change certain functions of the system. One that I had them activate is that it automatically locks all doors and sets the alarm if I walk more than 3-5 feet away with the remote fob and all doors and windows are closed. It works like a charm, then I use the 'request button' to unlock when I return.

I was concerned about inconsistent or temperamental behavior, but in 11 months it has only had one minor glitch. About six months ago, I took it thru a car wash that uses high-pressure water jets only. I've used the same car wash before and since that time, but I always go directly home and park in the garage where I don't lock it. But that one time I stopped by the grocery store about 10 minutes away from the car wash and it refused to lock using the request button or the LOCK button the fob! It just beeped at me every time I tried. I drove around for about 15 minutes and hand-dried the door jambs and anywhere else that water could have affected it. After I did that, it locked as I walked away, as always.

I'm not sure how long the battery lasts in the card-type system, but my salesman told me to expect no more than 12 months or 12,000 miles out of the battery in my remote fob. Mine died a few weeks ago (around 10.5 months but with 14,500 miles). Again, I have no idea how the card key is designed or how most smart key systems in other cars work, but my fob has hidden 'rescue' key hidden inside. The salesman made sure to show me how to use the physical key to enter the vehicle AND how to start the engine with it.

Speaking of starting the engine...the one thing that EVERYONE comments on when they ride in my CX-9 is the plastic starter 'knob' on the steering column. It is so much more intuitive and simple than a BIG round START button taking up valuable space on the center control stack! It makes sense from a cost perspective since the Sport and many Touring models have a regular key hole in the same spot. I also like the fact that if I ever needed to turn off the engine in an emergency (unintended acceleration, for example), it's no different than how I would shut off the engine on any car I've ever owned. I just turned the plastic knob instead of an actual key. I wouldn't be hitting a START/STOP button or holding it down for X seconds to make it do what I needed.

In my opinion, all keyless ignition systems should be set up just like the CX-9!

Why is it any different than any remote key fob??--press once for driver's door, and 2x for all doors.

I do wish the Mazda system was programable like my Lexus--switch to one touch of the door handle for all 4 doors by pressing lock and unlock at the same time...

By overkill I mean why not press the door button once to open all? Why twice? Safety? Dunno...

To Igo, I have referred to it as a "dumb key card" many times on these forums.

Nothing dumber than to walk up to the driver side rear door, pull, and find it locked. It takes three pushes of the drivers door black button to unlock and open thr door. Dumb

Bunch of whiners! Lol. I thought I was having a problem with all 3 of my cards until I realized I hadn't changed the batteries for 2 years. That's right 2 years. Ordered a 6 pack on Amazon for like 3 bucks. Problem solved. I agree the double press on driver door is lame. #firstworldproblems

Here's something else that will blow your mind....

Did you know that leaving your key fob in your car will kill the fob battery quicker? haha.

Wife used to leave her key in her cup holder, parked in our garage. In the 2 years we have owned it, I've had to replace the damn battery in the fob 2-3 times (lost count)! The spare key fob, kept locked up in the house, still works with the factory battery!

Now I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but I'm not a moron either, so I had to investigate. After changing the battery last time, I had a hunch...maybe the fob is like a 2-way or something, and will constantly communicate with the car, if it is in proximity? Sure enough, I sat in the car with the key fob, and saw that he light on the fob kept flashing. Mystery solved.

Now she brings her key fob in the house with her :)

I will trade my 2007 with you Igozoom. That way you don't have to be inconvenienced with all those features my 07 does not have.

There is light at the end of tunnel.
I have the new Mazda3. The new infosystem allows you to program almost all the settings you guys complained here.
Yes, there are some bugs related to iOS's BT, and music streaming. But, those will be ironed out soon.
Wait for the next CX9... also opening the hatch is now independent from rest of doors, much like the Toyota/Lexus.

As for needing two unlocks to unlock all doors, this is safety related on lawyers' advice to prevent car jacking from entering other doors.
So, the salesman told me based on his training by Mazda.
Programmable on the new infosystem of Mazda3 - to be standard on all new Mazdas.

Last edited:
There is light at the end of tunnel.
I have the new Mazda3. The new infosystem allows you to program almost all the settings you guys complained here.
Yes, there are some bugs related to iOS's BT, and music streaming. But, those will be ironed out soon.
Wait for the next CX9... also opening the hatch is now independent from rest of doors, much like the Toyota/Lexus.

As for needing two unlocks to unlock all doors, this is safety related on lawyers' advice to prevent car jacking from entering other doors.
So, the salesman told me based on his training by Mazda.
Programmable on the new infosystem of Mazda3 - to be standard on all new Mazdas.

Ceric,

I know this is unrelated to this thread, but I am assuming you just purchased the brand new Mazda 3. If so can you give us a heads up on your opinion of it after owning it a bit? I am seriously thinking of trading my HHR in for the new 3 as soon as my CX9 is paid off. Right now I am torn between the Cruze Diesel and the 3. If they ever get around to releasing a Skyactiv D 3 I would trade up in a heartbeat. I agree with a lot of your sentiments on here, and would really value your opinion on the new 3.

Thanks

On topic for this post, I have just gotten in the habit of using the push button on the rear hatch whenver possible. I usually have to load the kids in the back first, so it is not too far out of the way

Back