"Keyless Entry System Malfunction"

hmw

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD / Tech & iActiveSense
I have a 2016 CX-5 that suddenly decided to display 'Keyless Entry System Malfunction' along with the driver's side door handle request button not working. The fob can lock/unlock doors and the door handle request button on the passenger's side works just fine. None of the buttons appear to be damaged in any way. The car's been at the dealer for 2 days but the dealer claims that it appears to be an electrical fault and they still have not been able to trace it yet.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Couldn't find much from the forums - doesn't seem to be a common experience ...

... dealer claims that it appears to be an electrical fault and they still have not been able to trace it yet.

Then make sure they know that you fully expect them to get to the bottom of it and fix it, and that you're in the hurry. That's their job and their franchisor 's warranty. If they keep monkey around, find another dealer.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 CX-5 that suddenly decided to display 'Keyless Entry System Malfunction' along with the driver's side door handle request button not working. The fob can lock/unlock doors and the door handle request button on the passenger's side works just fine. None of the buttons appear to be damaged in any way. The car's been at the dealer for 2 days but the dealer claims that it appears to be an electrical fault and they still have not been able to trace it yet.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Couldn't find much from the forums - doesn't seem to be a common experience ...

Is the behavior same across both the remotes?

Then make sure they know that you fully expect them to get to the bottom of it and fix it, and that you're in the hurry. That's their job and their franchisor 's warranty. If they keep monkey around, find another dealer.

I called them and was quite curt - they told me that it had started working mysteriously and they didn't know why or couldn't find a fault. I asked if water on the window could have made its way into the door switch triggering that warning - again they were clueless. I've read on the forums that folks who tinted their front windows ended up spraying the windows and had very similar issues (door request switches not working for 3 days then working again). Considering it's always warm in San Jose, could be the extra heat dried out the door switch. But for authorized Mazda dealers these guys are pretty clueless :-(

They might be too busy with brake jobs and other high-margin work to bother with your warranty job. Even if they fix it, they're most likely will not be paid, so this is a goodwill for them with a good chunk of paperwork attached. Some places have integrity to do right by the customer, some don't.
Do you have any other dealership in vicinity?

There are some post on here that talk about the door plug in between the door hinges gaining water and causing electrical problems - there may be a TSB. Inspect the rubber cover for the wiring and plug at the wire entry point between the hinges as it enters the car, it may not be seated properly or be damaged.

GAXIBM is right. TSB #09-041/15 VARIOUS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM MALFUNCTIONS RELATED TO C-15 CONNECTOR CORROSION 2016-02-17

Back