Some beginner CX-9 questions about the car

Hi guys .. I've had my CX-9 for almost a week now and I've come across a few things I don't understand or don't know how to do ... Would really appreciate if someone can help me out with some answers :)

1) My CX-9 has the 360 degree view feature, but it only shows after I put the car in 'D' gear after starting it. Is there a way to have the 360 view also show up when I'm reverse parking the car ?

2) I don't suppose there's any way to get curvy reverse trajectory lines on the rear view display (those lines which move as you turn the steering wheel while reversing), is there ?

3) I have my CX-9 set to auto-lock whenever I walk away from the car. But I keep fearing what would happen if I accidentally left the keys inside the car and then walked away. Would the car still auto-lock ? ... If yes, how do I unlock it without the keys ?

4) One weird thing in my CX-9 is that when I have Apple Carplay on while driving and using Google Maps for navigation, and with music playing in the background, if Google Maps wants to speak out a navigation alert, the car would take the music off the left speaker momentarily, and let Google Maps use the left speaker exclusively for its navigation announcement. So basically while Google Maps is saying something, music is coming only from the right side speakers, which I can feel based on my hearing ... Any way to change this behavior such that music still comes out from all speakers, and only that its hushed when Google Maps needs to speak ?

5) I tried setting up HomeLink for opening my garage door, but for some reason the car isn't picking up on the transmitter signal. I know I'm following the correct instructions. I have watched a bunch of youtube videos but still it isn't working. The blinking amber light never goes to fast green flashing, no matter how close or far the remote transmitter is when I'm pressing its button. Any suggestions ?

I can comment on some point, but it’s based on a 2018 model so some features I don’t have.

2. You can’t turn on that feature, somehow that very common feature is not available (at least on my model year)
3. That is very unlikely to happen, because the only way the auto lock knows you are walking away is by sensing the the keys are walking away. If you walk away without the keys, the car won’t know you are walking away and it will think you are still in the car. I don’t think you can unlock the car without the key however.
4. This is the same behaviour with all in-car navigation app for the CX-9, Navigations prompts are programmed to go through the driver speaker as opposed to dimming all speakers and playing over the music. I guess that way your passengers can enjoy their music while you get your commands. It is a debatable design decision but can’t be changed.

1. Press down on the dial when the reverse cam is shown and it will switch to a split view with the 360 camera.

2. See above.

3. You can't lock the car with a fob inside, even if you use the other fob. It will beep at you continuously.

Read your owner's manual, 3 of the 4 questions you asked is in there.

I also bought my 2019 CX-9 about a week ago. I was wondering the same about trajectory lines when backing up, I noticed them when moving forward yesterday, the trajectory was shown for forward direction and side curve. So I looked in the manual for reverse, but couldn't find direct info (if anyone has page numbers please do share). I started playing with different views putting car in reverse and forward, I noticed that reverse trajectory lines appear only 360 view, if I change the view to reverse wide angle only, then only straight lines are shown.

Thanks guys. Yeah I don't know why Mazda doesn't give those trajectory lines. They have so much!

In fact, I live in Washington where its raining so much these days. More often than not, when I'm reversing into a parking spot, more often than not the rear camera has water droplets on it and so without the view and without the trajectory lines, it becomes completely useless :/

4. This is the same behaviour with all in-car navigation app for the CX-9, Navigations prompts are programmed to go through the driver speaker as opposed to dimming all speakers and playing over the music. I guess that way your passengers can enjoy their music while you get your commands. It is a debatable design decision but can’t be changed.

I drove a 2020 Mazda 3 hatchback a few days ago, and that did NOT have this issue .. In that car, the music would lower in volume when instructions are being given ...

I have that AudioPilot setting enabled in my 2019 CX-9 and I thought that had something to do with this issue .. Is that not the case ?

You can also change the settings to auto 360 camera and that always shows it for me in reverse. I was just playing with it today and found that out.

I drove a 2020 Mazda 3 hatchback a few days ago, and that did NOT have this issue .. In that car, the music would lower in volume when instructions are being given ...

I have that AudioPilot setting enabled in my 2019 CX-9 and I thought that had something to do with this issue .. Is that not the case ?

I don't think the audio pilot setting changes the way the navigation prompts, I have it enabled as well so I can't tell for sure though. I think that's just how they programmed the system (wether we like it or not.) The in-car navigation works the same way.

To set the Homelink - (The Mazda instructions are not very good or very clear) -

Take your garage door opener and position it up by the windshield pointing backwards (Pointing to the back of the backup-up mirror) then hold both the button you want to program and the door opener "on" together - should pair in about 7-8 seconds or so. (If nothing happens after 10 secs or so, try again with different mirror button.

You can also change the settings to auto 360 camera and that always shows it for me in reverse. I was just playing with it today and found that out.

Where did you find this setting? What year do you have? I was able to change the default for the front camera (just press and hold the big dial on the view you want) but for the reverse it does not work.

For the garage door opener, if nothing else works, go to the instructions from the opener maker. You'll find them on line at the opener site.

Latest posts

Back