2017~2024 Snow chains

Here's a snow chain installation on a 2019 CX-5. Used to be Thule chains, now they're Konig chains. Looks nice but they're quite expensive.

I don't know if the chains clear backside of tires.

Konig Self-Tensioning Snow Tire Chains for SUVs and Crossover Vehicles - XG12 Pro - Size 247​

Or, even more expensive . . . requires ZERO clearance.

KÖNIG K-Summit XXL K66 Snow Chains​

1637358549203.png

StPark, which brand & model chains do you have that fit your 2019 Signature with adequate clearance ? I'm about at a point where I don't care what the cost is as I don't even drive my CX 5 in the snow, the streets in my town are quite steep and either I can't even get started up the hill out of my driveway, or I can't stop going down !

StPark, which brand & model chains do you have that fit your 2019 Signature with adequate clearance ? I'm about at a point where I don't care what the cost is as I don't even drive my CX 5 in the snow, the streets in my town are quite steep and either I can't even get started up the hill out of my driveway, or I can't stop going down !

There's at least one that supposed to fit 2019 CX-5 Signature.

Konig Premium Self-Tensioning Snow Tire Chains - Diamond Pattern - D Link - K-Summit XXL - Size K66​

This chain requires ZERO internal clearance, but very expensive over $500, but as you said cost is no issue. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Konig/TH02230K66.html

Konig Self-Tensioning Snow Tire Chains for SUVs and Crossover Vehicles - XG12 Pro - Size 247​

This chain will fit, need 12mm clearance - at $247, better price.

Currently, I don't have any snow chains for CX-5, looking to buy a used XG-12 #247. If I don't get it on time, I'll take my other car 2015 MDX SH-AWD (have XG-12 Pro #255 chains). I've ordered a set of Cross Climate II M+S tires, should be better than regular All Season M+S tires, we'll see.

Here's the image I found for Konig XG-Pro12 #247 installed, inner clearance. If correctly installed, should be well out of the way from wheel. Inner clearance for strut needs 12mm, hair under 1/2".

See post #41 for installation video.

1637536998281.png

Last edited:
Here's the image I found for Konig XG-Pro12 #247 installed, inner clearance. If correctly installed, should be well out of the way from wheel. Inner clearance for strut needs 12mm, hair under 1/2".

See post #41 for installation video.

View attachment 304927
Great finds.

As long as it clears, this may be the better choice as far as it's all metal chain where tire meets road.

Assuming the OP still has OEM size 225 65r17 tires and hasn't widened/ upsized to 235 or 245, etc.

Or, even more expensive . . . requires ZERO clearance.

KÖNIG K-Summit XXL K66 Snow Chains​

View attachment 304852
Great concept and idea.
Solves the clearance problem.
These look nice but would be worried the plastic(are those gray plates made of plastic?) might break on hard ice or slushy snow melt roads when tire might connect with pavement.
At least, with chains, don't need to worry about that with regular steel chains.
But for someplace with heavy snows and minimum snow removal, and an attentive owner that would remove these at first sign of asphalt, these would be great.

Great finds.

As long as it clears, this may be the better choice as far as it's all metal chain where tire meets road.

Assuming the OP still has OEM size 225 65r17 tires and hasn't widened/ upsized to 235 or 245, etc.

Konig XG-Pro12 #247 chains are for 2019 CX-5 GTR, 225/55/R19 wheels, not for the OP.

Great concept and idea.
Solves the clearance problem.
These look nice but would be worried the plastic(are those gray plates made of plastic?) might break on hard ice or slushy snow melt roads when tire might connect with pavement.
At least, with chains, don't need to worry about that with regular steel chains.
But for someplace with heavy snows and minimum snow removal, and an attentive owner that would remove these at first sign of asphalt, these would be great.

Those chains are made of Manganese Nickel alloy 100%, installed over single lug nut with special torque wrench. Very expensive, no portion of the chains are made of cheapy plastic.

Last edited:
Those chains are made of Manganese Nickel alloy 100%, installed over single lug nut with special torque wrench. Very expensive, no portion of the chains are made of cheapy plastic.
Nice. Saw some of these things were made from composites an plastics now. At least this one didn't cheap. Sounds like a good product.

Great finds.

I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus2 225/55/R19.

$247 for the Konig XG Pro 12 is fairly expensive when you consider chains are usually around $60-$80 for a set. But if they work as designed and don't interfere with the struts that may be the only choice.
I may just buy a set just to have if I really, really need to drive somewhere when there is enough snow on the road that I can't get traction. Otherwise I may just revert to my past plan which is to hunker down and wait a few days until good old global warming kicks in and the pavement is wet from the melting snow but not icy or slippery.

Back