Snow Chain Alternative - Michelin Easy Grip and more

Have been looking for a proper snow chain for my 2019 AWD Signature (225/55/R19 tires) for a while. Tried Class "S" cable SCC ZT729, doesn't look like it's clearing rubber(?) damper behind tire. Konig Summit K55 or K66 which doesn't need any clearance, but prohibitively expensive. Les Schwab, Alpine and Konig metal chain may or mayhave the same clearance proble, I'll have to try each one of them to find out.

Somehow, this Michelin Easy Grip chain alternative was on my phone, probably from Amazon marketing. Anyway, looked pretty good, so searched for a few chain alternatives. This Easy Grip performs very well on snow, braking on snow doesn't look hindered. Not sure how well it works on ICE and if it's approved for use on US highways as "traction device". But I believe with my AWD CX-5 with 3PMSF all-weather tires should be counted as traction device and good for R2 condition. Unlike so called "zip-tie" style alternatives, this one looks to last many seasons with occasional use. Anyone have any experience with this Easy Grip chains?

Most people, including myself, buy snow chains for just in case, but never use them. OK, I used maybe a couple of times.

https://youtu.be/CG3LFqKoDhQ?t=60
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They only show these new products on snow.
How do they work on icy surfaces?
Will they last, even if they work?

Heres a consumer reports video on the sock type devices. Winter Driving Aid Showdown | Consumer Reports . Where I live in southern New England chains and these type devices arent really needed often if at all. Ice is a b**** and chains would be the best option imho. Question to those that do use these type devices, do chains fail and break ? If yes do they do damage to the car ?

Have you guys read and watch the YouTube video?
The video shows three types of Chain and alternatives, I'm talking about the "Easy Grip Evolution", the one looks Polyester(?) Net like one. It shows great traction on snow (above video) and ice (link below). I need to learn how to post a YouTube video here.

If I live in New England or anywhere snow/ice is present during winter time, I'll get a good set of dedicated snow tires with wheels. But here in PNW, snows a few times a winter, need to carry traction device just in case. Our CX-5 has clearance issue with any snow chains. Snow Cable in NOT going to clear inner rubber dampers, socks may work on snow but not on ice. But this Easy Grip Evolution works great on snow and ice, doesn't have clearance issue at all, IMO. Also states it has good longevity. I don't see the right size for 225/55/R19 wheels, sent an email question to find out.

Last edited:
StPark,
"good longevity" sounds like marketing.
Any comparison to snow cable... longevity wise.. ;)

StPark,
"good longevity" sounds like marketing.
Any comparison to snow cable... longevity wise.. ;)

By "good longevity", when used occasionally by folks like me, here in PNW.

Snow Cable is almost as good as metal chain if used occasionally (like me). Most people here almost never use chains/cables they bought just in case, then try to sell those as UNUSED/NEW chains after they get rid of the vehicle.

Most people here almost never use chains/cables they bought just in case, then try to sell those as UNUSED/NEW chains
+1😁

I lucked out this time. I guess if the outside circumference and width are within a certain range you can keep them wrapped up for the next vehicle.

Are the Michelin tire gadgets made with any rubber?

+1😁

Are the Michelin tire gadgets made with any rubber?

From what I read, think the Easy Grip nets are made of Polyurethane material wrapped around rubber core. The reviews are very positive, only 3% rated it with 1 star. 3% negative ratings are usually GREAT. But then again, after reading all those 1 star ratings (of 3,126 total ratings, 109 rating was 1 star), they're mostly complaining about inner elastic had torn off, making it unusable. Darn good rating, I think, but what if it happens to me when I'm in middle of nowhere?

With inner clearance issue I have with 19" wheels of CX-5, I'm not sure if there is any chain that fits?

These are supposed to fit. They are on my radar.

Those Konig XG-Pro #247 MAY work. It only needs 12mm inner clearance, but I'm not sure CX-5 Turbo models have that much clearance. CX-5 has two rubber dampers next to front strut, that's the big obstacles. I wanted to raise my CX-5 and go under to have a close look, but it's been raining almost every day. My garage is full of stuff, had to do this outside.

BTW, if you're going that route, this site has better price and no sales tax. If the XG-pro 247 fits, I may go that route too.

Konig XG-12 Pro 247 Tire Chain for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire :confused:

Those Konig XG-Pro #247 MAY work. It only needs 12mm inner clearance, but I'm not sure CX-5 Turbo models have that much clearance. CX-5 has two rubber dampers next to front strut, that's the big obstacles. I wanted to raise my CX-5 and go under to have a close look, but it's been raining almost every day. My garage is full of stuff, had to do this outside.

BTW, if you're going that route, this site has better price and no sales tax. If the XG-pro 247 fits, I may go that route too.

Konig XG-12 Pro 247 Tire Chain for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire :confused:

Thanks for that link. I think when I originally searched the XG-12s, I used the CX-5 Reserve with the turbo and it came up as a fit. I'll be changing tires next year, so I won't buy until I get the new Falkens in the 235 size and then I'll have to look again anyway.

Back