Smoking Brake Pads!!!

ralphyralph5

:
2010 CX-9
Ok, so i changed all 4 corners today(brake pads and Rotors)... I take the car out to bed the pads and check the brakes; I do a 40mph to 5mph and i notice a burning smell and smoke coming from the driver's side pads. I figure that it might be grease or oil burning off. So, I do a 50mph to 5mph run and there's even more smoke. I went back home going 15-20mph and do a check of the pads and everything looks fine. Is there something i'm missing? What else should I check?

Is this normal??

Thanks

Was it just the one corner? Are you sure? Because when you bed them in, they should all be smelling nasty.

truth, bedding them in will cause smoke. That question is valid: all of them, or just 1 pad / corner? Also, if it was, for example, both rears: when you adjusted the screw for the rear calipers, did you torque it all the way down, or back it off 1/4 - 1/3 turn? Because it'll take them some time to auto-adjust, and if they're too tight they'll drag for a while.

As for un-******* a ****** caliper... it depends on how ****** it is LOL. If you can get the slider pin out and take the caliper off of the fixed pin on the bracket, it shouldn't be any more complex than giving them a good cleaning with brake parts cleaner and a couple of Q-Tips, and re-greasing the caliper well. Don't over-grease, but you definitely want to be able to smoothly move the caliper on the pins by hand.

Which brings up another valid question: you *did* grease all the slider pins when you did the swap, right?

Thanks to all for the quick replies!

It is just the driver front that smoked but i don't think its seized bc i got the caliper to move so that i could install the new rotor and pads. i'll drive it tomorrow for a little while to see if it goes away.

Yes, all 8 were re-greased ;-)

Back