Smoke in exhaust while idling

btkrausen

:
2008.5 MS3
Just wanted some ideas on what could be going on. When I let my car run idle for a few minutes, or sitting in traffic without moving much, I get a white smoke coming from my tailpipe. Not sure if its the oil white smoke or the water white smoke honestly. I've had many problems with this car, so I need to get a fix in place so I can get rid of this thing.

Currently installed mods are a test pipe, the upgraded plugs, CPE CAI, and SU engine mount. My car was pretty heavily modded last year, but this problem has just snuck up on me within the past two weeks or so.

I have checked my fluids and haven't noticed much change, going to check again tonight after the car cools down. I seem to get a check engine light after I get on it a bit, but after the car cools down for the night, it goes away, at least it did last time.

Any ideas?

turbo seals are ******. time for a new turbo. go back to stock and bring it to the dealer.

i got the fix when you see smoke at idle or stopped just rev to 2,000-1,500 rpms and it stop.. im doing this untill it dosent work any more

according to my new mazda dealership its not the turbo seals!!! i had this problem before so they replaced my turbo, and some- what miles later my car is back to smoking. Mazda claimed that it's not the turbo seals its the oil crankcase. once they find the solution they will fix it? but from now, i get free oil changes ( thicker oil). i think i got that right? is there anybody else that this was told to?

turbo is considered powertrain? figured that was transmission and such.

yes

Powertrain Warranty Parts List
The listed below are the powertrain components covered under the Powertrain Limited Warranty:

Engine
Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head, and All Internal Lubricated Parts (Piston engines)
Rotor Housing and All Internal Parts (Rotary engines)
Timing gears
Timing chain/belt and tensioner
Timing chain/belt front cover and gaskets
Flywheel
Valve Covers
Oil Pan
Oil Pump
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Engine Mounts
Turbocharger Housing and All Internal Lubricated Parts
Supercharger Housing and All Internal Lubricated Parts
Powertrain Control Module
Water Pump and Gasket
Thermostat
Fuel Pump
Seals and Gaskets
Freeze Plugs were not added
Transmission and Transaxle
Transmission Case and All Internal Parts
Torque converter
Clutch Pressure Plate
Transmission Mounts
Transfer Case and All Internal Parts
Transmission/Transaxle Control Module
Front/Rear Drive System
Final Drive Housing & all Internally Lubricated Parts
Manual and Automatic Hub (4X4)
Front Wheel Hubs and Bearings (FWD Transaxles)
Rear Axle Housing & all Internally Lubricated Parts
Axle/Drive Shafts
Propeller shaft (RWD and AWD only)
Universal Joints
Constant Velocity Joints
Rear Axle/Hub Bearings (RWD and AWD only)
Seals and Gaskets

according to my new mazda dealership its not the turbo seals!!! i had this problem before so they replaced my turbo, and some- what miles later my car is back to smoking. Mazda claimed that it's not the turbo seals its the oil crankcase. once they find the solution they will fix it? but from now, i get free oil changes ( thicker oil). i think i got that right? is there anybody else that this was told to?

your dealer is partially right. there is excessive crank case pressure caused by a bad PCV system. the excess pressure has to go somewhere, so it finds the easiest route, which is your turbo seals. The seals on early models had WAAY too much clearance and resulted in 2 turbo revisions since the MS6

so no one in here is going to mention that he could try the PTP Plug before going to the dealership with the car

link to buy the PTP Plug is here

http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=4&pID=260

information on the Plug found and various experiences with it posted here

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123751812

some have had succes with this, some have not.. its only $30 and IMO is well worth a try before going through the hassle at the dealership getting your turbo replaced.

so no one in here is going to mention that he could try the PTP Plug before going to the dealership with the car

link to buy the PTP Plug is here

http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=4&pID=260

information on the Plug found and various experiences with it posted here

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123751812

some have had succes with this, some have not.. its only $30 and IMO is well worth a try before going through the hassle at the dealership getting your turbo replaced.

Thanks a bunch, checked it out and might be an option. Probably work on putting my stock parts back on this weekend and possibly bringing to the dealer next week to see what they'll possibly do. Might try the fix first though, as you said, its only $30 and probably easily removable if it does't work.

your dealer is partially right. there is excessive crank case pressure caused by a bad PCV system. the excess pressure has to go somewhere, so it finds the easiest route, which is your turbo seals. The seals on early models had WAAY too much clearance and resulted in 2 turbo revisions since the MS6

sooo i should enjoy my free oil changes or be worried? haha thanks for clearing it up i get it now

sooo i should enjoy my free oil changes or be worried? haha thanks for clearing it up i get it now

me personally, i would b**** and get a new turbo, might as well right (wink). that would at least give you the latest revision.

true, i'm gonna do the same. need to get it now though, since it probably won't take me long to hit that 60k, since i'm sitting at 49 now.

^ yeah man im about to hit 30 k!! it kind of discourages me about modding but f it!! lol if your down to sell your cp-e cai i would definatley be intrested!! haha

i have 33k on my 07 ms3, and the other day when I was cleaning my cobb filter i noticed some oily residue in the intake. I dont get smoke on idle but is this also a sign of blown turbo seals?

Back