2007~2015 Smart key partially inoperative

:
Mazda CX 9 grand touring
2009 CX9 Touring. Both smart key fobs have new batteries yet the pushbuttons on the door handles do not work. The engine will start but the red "KEY" warning light stays on. If I leave the engine running and get out I no longer get the audible warning.
However, the lock, unlock, and tailgate buttons on the fob work fine and have good range.
Has anyone experienced these problems? Just want to see if there is something simple to fix before I spend the dough at the dealership.
Thanks

Solution
The problem is fixed, it ended up being a failed rear antenna. Cost to repair at my local Mazda dealer was $350 including the diagnostic time.
I advise you to check for error codes, normally it show if you have any keyless antenna that is disconnected or going bad. You have 3 antenna, 2 inside the front doors and one behind the rear bumper. the keyless antenna behind the rear bumper maybe the one that may go bad first or loose connection because it's on the outside and unprotected. Good luck.

Upvote 0
There’s another thread with this issue but for 2020/2021 models. There’s a “power saving” mode that disable the smart key features but allows the unlock/lock buttons to work. Maybe the 2009 has a similar feature that got triggered?

Upvote 0
The problem is fixed, it ended up being a failed rear antenna. Cost to repair at my local Mazda dealer was $350 including the diagnostic time.

Upvote 1
Solution
Hello, my colleagues have a similar problem. Sometimes I can start the engine without a key, and sometimes I have to put the key in the ignition. key flashes red, car icon with the key too. Firing from the card, if you manage to turn the ignition switch, it is like immo blocking the start of the engine. Using a key always helps. Are the transceiver antennas the same or each is different? How to check which antenna is faulty?

Upvote 0
Hello, my colleagues have a similar problem. Sometimes I can start the engine without a key, and sometimes I have to put the key in the ignition. key flashes red, car icon with the key too. Firing from the card, if you manage to turn the ignition switch, it is like immo blocking the start of the engine. Using a key always helps. Are the transceiver antennas the same or each is different? How to check which antenna is faulty?
@henex1980 Does the red led on the key-fob come on when pressing the buttons on it? And does it flash every 5-6 seconds when inside the vehicle? If the last one is no, then the key-fob is not talking to the vehicle and could be a security module issue.

Upvote 0
Then I will check. I bought a new battery, but how to check the voltage is 2.99 V. The new battery should be stronger. Could this be a problem?

Upvote 0
I bought a new battery, but how to check the voltage is 2.99 V. The new battery should be stronger. Could this be a problem?
Test the battery with a voltmeter. Yes a low battery could be the problem, thus why I asked about the led. If it works, the battery should be good.

Upvote 0
The car key icon flashes every 3 seconds. I press, open, close the car from the card, always without a problem. I am in the car, I press the ignition switch and I have a signal, pikpik, pikpik. key in red. I can't turn the ignition switch. Only with the key can I start the car.

Upvote 0
I read that the 3V battery should even have 3.27V as it is new.
I have never experienced that. Mine have always been 3-3.05 volts. When I use re-chargeables they can get up to around 3.25 volts, but quickly drop close to 3 volts after a few loads are put on them.

Focus on the led as that will tell you if the remote is communicating with the vehicle or not.

Upvote 0
Nigdy tego nie doświadczyłem. Moje zawsze miały 3-3,05 woltów. Kiedy używam akumulatorów, mogą osiągnąć około 3,25 woltów, ale szybko spadają do 3 woltów po nałożeniu na nie kilku ładunków.

Skoncentruj się na diodzie, ponieważ powie ci, czy pilot komunikuje się z pojazdem, czy nie.
Wysyłam filmy. Pilot otwiera drzwi i zamyka je. Więc wygląda dobrze, ale czemu nie przekręcę stacyjki bo jest zablokowana, czerwony kluczyk miga i słychać piknięcie. Jak włożę kluczyk, stacyjka się kręci i mogę odpalić samochód.

Attachments

• VID20210921182623.mp4
    2.9 MB
  • VID20210921182349.mp4
    2.1 MB
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sending videos. The remote control opens the door and closes it. So it looks good, but why don't I turn the ignition switch because it is blocked, the red key is flashing and a beep can be heard. When I put the key, the ignition turns and I can start the car.I'm sending videos. The remote control opens the door and closes it. So it looks good, but why don't I turn the ignition switch because it is blocked, the red key is flashing and a beep can be heard. When I put the key, the ignition turns and I can start the car.

Upvote 0
I have a problem on mine, actualy both of them, i do not have the card though, i have the regular key. The led won't lit when i press the lock unlock button, i changed both batteries and still same problem, sometimes will work and sometimes it won't. I beleive it is a bad connection inside but if i have a probem with a module, will the led lit up or not? Does the led on the key confirms that it communicates or that the command is working?

Upvote 0
Back