Smart Key Compatability

master44

I have 2007 CX-9 Touring and have had 2 smart keys go bad, one from regualar use and just recently another one accidently went through the wash. I already went through the dealer last time as I know you can't program it yourself with just 1 good key.

My question now is will smart keys for 2008-2009 work with a 2007.

I asked the dealer and they told me they could try programming it for a fee but said they basically didn't know. Before purchasing some keys and wasting $100 to find out I thought I would see if anyone here knows??

The key for the 2007 has 3 buttons, whereas the 2008-2009 looks basically the same but has a trunk button.

Thanks!
Tom

If you have power liftgate, your SmartCard has an extra button.
It has nothing to do with which year's model.

I guess that makes sense, I just assumed that newer models had the power lift gate standard. In any case can you have a smart card with 4 buttons work on a model that doesn't have the lift gate and is there anything different about the smart keys from year to year. Would I be safe using a 2008 4 button smart key on a 2007 without a lift gate?

Thanks!

We're on our second 2007 CX-9 GT AWD (first was totaled). We are using a smartcard from the first car with the second and it has the liftgate button but the new CX-9 doesn't have the power liftgate because it wasn't available at the beginning of production (until early 2007).
Either way, same year, different card still works for us.
Hope this helps!

Back