Smart card key lost... and then more :( Some help

Shyatic

I have a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring.

So my wife lost one set of keys (smartkey with the valet), and then I gave her my keys, and she lost the valet key.

So right now all I have is a smart key that starts the car and will unlock the doors, only if there's battery enough to do that.

I have an appointment with the Mazda dealer to get two new valet keys, and not another smart key because it's $250 or something. My question is, can I buy the second smart key off of eBay and program it myself? Or am I going to need Mazda to do it?

Appreciate any help you can give here, and asap -- it's a lot of money to spend in a shot, almost $500, so trying to save as much money as possible. Also, is it possible to change the keyfob to the newer model (2009+) that has a valet key that "locks" into place? I'd prefer using that keyfob because it's more forgiving in terms of losing a key.

Thanks!

You can program the 3rd yourself, but not the second.
This is for safety reason.
Imagine someone gets ahold of your key and duplicate one....
To program the 2nd, you would need Mazda's computer to do that, or
some shop that has the proper equipment.

It might work if you replace the ECU also, but that would really cost you $$$....

Try contacting "remotes,inc." on the internet. I purchased a "new" smart key from him and it programed perfectly by my dealer.

Back