Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

It's one thing to have oil residue on the engine, but when you have oil drips on the splash panels that means it's gone past the point of residue on the engine. Ever since I had my oil pan replaced a few years ago I see the nagging oil residue in the area, but fortunately it never developed into an actual drip, so I guess that's normal. Bottom of the engine is dry and so are my splash panels.

Last edited:
So, oil leaks are normal....unbelievable. It's one thing to have oil residue on the engine, but when you have oil drips on the splash panels that means it's gone past the point of residue on the engine.
Well, Mazda says oil mark on rear shock absorbers is normal as long as it’s not dripping. The shock absorber oil is thick and has very minimum amount inside like the belt tensioner. If the shock oil is “dripping”, the rod seal has to be so worn and can’t seal anything!

Well, Mazda says oil mark on rear shock absorbers is normal as long as it’s not dripping. The shock absorber oil is thick and has very minimum amount inside like the belt tensioner. If the shock oil is “dripping”, the rod seal has to be so worn and can’t seal anything!
Lol, was just looking at that and thinking the same thing. Let's change the definition of "leak" so we don't have to deal with it as much.

yeah I saw that TSB too. Seems they dont want to pay anymore for the small leaks and they had quite a lot of those in service repairs.
My engine oil leak was fixed 2yrs ago but its still letting some oil escape near the bottom side of the oil pan. Much less than before but still kind of sucks to have oil stains on a new car.
obviously now they would never fix that going forward based on the newer TSB and samples.
This is for me the only car with so many leaks as a new car (less than 10k miles when all happened). Engine chain cover leak, oil pan leak, control valve leak, shocks leak, tensioner leak, etc. Now the fuel pump new recall and I bet that would leak as well after they 'fix' it :)
Well it is what it is.

Last edited:
I still get a small amount of seepage out the rear timing cover. It seems to mainly be noticed during the winter months and doesn't cause any noticeable loss in oil level on dipstick. They did repair it once but it came back. Other than that no other leaks at this time.

The issue with this thread initially tarnished the new car experience for me but I’ve moved beyond it now and really have no reliability concerns I think about on any consistent basis. I keep it maintained and come this July will have had it for 9 years.

Back