Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Looked a little closer today....

* Told corporate I need a couple weeks to check things over before I close case

* I had to top off the coolant since it was well below the L level... they obviously lost some and didn't top off

* Cleaned up the residue that looked like a timing cover leak again. I'll play... cleaned off with brake cleaner. Lets see if fresh oil shows up. I'm man enough to own being wrong if that isn't the case.

* Notice they probably put in more oil than needed as oil level is slightly above top fill mark. Might need to drain some out.

If I have time will drop bottom cover tomorrow and see what things looks like. I certainly hope things are cleaned up after the repair.

Why could dealers never get this right? It's the only reason why I always do my own oil changes. Is it too much to check the level on the stick? When I had mine in for a leak it was a half quart over full courtesy of a Gold Cup Mazda dealership!

attachment.php

Attachments

• oil.jpeg
    oil.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
always wondered the same...either over fill, either drain plug not torqued or overtorqued after they not torqued the first time or worst in my previous turbo car they were putting the incorect viscosity until I started paying attention.
I can only speculate cheap labor,,lack of training or supervision......
But there are some good dealers as well but harder to find.

Why could dealers never get this right? It's the only reason why I always do my own oil changes. Is it too much to check the level on the stick? When I had mine in for a leak it was a half quart over full courtesy of a Gold Cup Mazda dealership!

attachment.php
Wow thats serious overfill! It seems more than a half quart overfill!

They must put in 6 quarts of some cheap bulk oil instead of 5!

After 500-600 miles so far appears dry everywhere. Fingers crossed now. I'll probably drop cover again in late May. My warranty expires on 7/20.

IMG_0487.JPG

After 500-600 miles so far appears dry everywhere. Fingers crossed now. I'll probably drop cover again in late May. My warranty expires on 7/20.
That's good news. It's rear crankshaft bearing seal leaking since beginning after all!

IMG_0487.JPG
Good to hear. I'm out if any warranties, but I am definitely going to take a closer look under the car next oil change. Noob like me...What should I be looking for?

Drop the entire front cover. It's clips and 10mm screws. It will be readily visible if you have problem or not.

Tip for putting back on: The front side has notches that will hold the front side on while you push in the pins on the rear. I do the 10mm bolts last. A cordless screwdriver speeds up the process.

EDIT: I need to find a better graphic as a lot of the push pins are on the lower side of the graphic out of view. It will be obvious when you look at it. Easier to get off on something like Rhino Ramps as well.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%204.45.19%20PM.jpg

all648544_4_500.jpg

Last edited:
Drop the entire front cover. It's clips and 10mm screws. It will be readily visible if you have problem or not.

Tip for putting back on: The front side has notches that will hold the front side on while you push in the pins on the rear. I do the 10mm bolts last. A cordless screwdriver speeds up the process.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%204.45.19%20PM.jpg

all648544_4_500.jpg
Appreciate it. Thank you.

Oh so same panel I removed when I did the transmission fluid? I will definitely take a closer look and see what's there.

Correct. That latter tool might not be needed but I find using that in combination with something like the cheap $2 HF pick tool gets those fasteners out a lot easier.

image_16048.jpg
This 4-piece pick and hook set I got from Harbor Freight Tool for free was surprisingly useful and strong when I used them for replacing boots on ball joints and steering rack of my Honda CR-V few weeks ago. Definitely a good and useful tool to get with "lifetime warranty"! ;)

Oh so same panel I removed when I did the transmission fluid? I will definitely take a closer look and see what's there.
It seems you didn't notice any leak when you removed the under panel changing the ATF. You should see it once the panel is removed.

Besides, if you don't have warranty, you don't bother to fix this kind of leak as the cost will be too high to fix it. It usually won't affect the oil level too much, and if it does, just keep adding oil to keep up the oil level.

+1 ...I wouldn't be fixing this one if out of warranty. It wasn't causing noticeable loss between oil changes. I would have been looking at ways to prevent oil drops on the garage floor. Probably just a simple shop rag fastened to the top these splash shields.

It seems you didn't notice any leak when you removed the under panel changing the ATF. You should see it once the panel is removed.

Besides, if you don't have warranty, you don't bother to fix this kind of leak as the cost will be too high to fix it. It usually won't affect the oil level too much, and if it does, just keep adding oil to keep up the oil level.

+1 ...I wouldn't be fixing this one if out of warranty. It wasn't causing noticeable loss between oil changes. I would have been looking at ways to prevent oil drops on the garage floor. Probably just a simple shop rag fastened to the top these splash shields.

Alright, I will leave it alone if I find anything.

Thanks for the input. I do wish I had been more engaged while I was still under warranty, but oh well. Car still runs like the day I bought it! :) Only real faults being the AT shifter switch and the belt tensioner, and factory underfilled fluids. Don't quite understand why they are underfilling the transmission and rear diff.

Last edited:
Back