Sluggish acceleration after tire upgrade (2021 CX-5)

Hello to all. Long time lurker and first time poster. Is it normal to feel slow acceleration when you go one size up? Instead of 225 stock size, I went with more beefier 235/55/19 falken wildpeak a/t trail on the 2021 carbon edition turbo. And do I need to get an alignment with these new tires? They're only 7 days old and my car doesn't pull to one side.

Attachments

• 20231230_134842_resized (1).jpg
    20231230_134842_resized (1).jpg
    158 KB · Views: 68
The new tire is slightly larger and likely weighs more than the tires you replaced so you might notice a slight decrease in acceleration but I wouldn't expect it to be a very dramatic difference.

As far as alignment, I'd say if the tires you replaced all had normal wear pattern and the car tracks straight then no alignment is needed.

On MyMazda speed three I went with mazdaspeed forged lighter rims and wider tires, and definitely noticed the car was faster/acceleration and better breaking.

Last edited:
Hello to all. Long time lurker and first time poster. Is it normal to feel slow acceleration when you go one size up? Instead of 225 stock size, I went with more beefier 235/55/19 falken wildpeak a/t trail on the 2021 carbon edition turbo. And do I need to get an alignment with these new tires? They're only 7 days old and my car doesn't pull to one side.
Bigger section width = more rolling resistance
Bigger overall diameter = more rotational inertia
Offroad tire = more rolling resistance
Heavier tire = more rotational inertia

Any one of those things alone would slow you down. All of them together... Yeah, I'd imagine you'd feel it.

Your speedo's off, too, by the way. You're going slightly faster than it says you are.

Possibly more wear-and-tear on your wheel bearings, ball joints, bushings, brakes, and powertrain, too – though TBH it's unlikely you'll notice much of that.

tigg1995, meet physics. Physics, meet tigg1995. :)

I doubt it will affect the alignment. Make sure the tires have plenty of air.

Very typical of an increase in rotational mass. I’ve noticed it twice on previous vehicles. It’s a winter tire for slippery surfaces, either live with it - or go back to a smaller lighter tire.

I would say exercise your exchange / refund window asap and put the OE tire size on -
Determine why it is you did this ( performance ? etc ) and find the OE tire that exhibits the best aspect of what you desire - to many variables change - I did this once a long time ago and remember the exact same thing happened ( it was a Mazda 3 GT ) and I put Firestone performance tires on which were on sale -- I swapped em back within 3 days -- The gas mileage was terrible too -- live/learn

Car manufactures invest in time and testing to pick the best correct tire size for the gearing, weight and engines power of their vehicle. I seriously dough any guesses by a home owner will improve that.

Yes, this is real. The additional unsprung weight will have that much difference. I had 2020 CX-9 Touring with 18' wheels.... then bought '22 Touring Plus with 20's. The difference in acceleration is substantial.

Back