SkyActiv TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins)

It also seems strange that Mazda would asked for TSBs to be taken down due to copyright issues when many more TSBs are available on that US govt website

Err, yes. I thought I was conducting good house keeping one day by clearing all sorts of clutter from my profile not realising that shifting them from the storage thingy shifted them from the posts as well. I can pull an engine down to the very last bolt and build it back up and have it run reliably but computers are black magic to me.

If your question is referring to TSB R052/16C, yes it has been corrected after year long researching (started with replacing revised electric parking brake control module) by Mazda and several revisions on the same TSB. Based on the document, new revised rear calipers started putting into the assembly line for CX-5 on September 9, 2016.
My son has my car today (a CX-5 2016) and has just called to say the parking brake light is flashing although the car seems to be driving normally. I've read this thread and it sounds like the problem is the EPB module (from my layman's perspective). My question is does anyone know how dangerous it is for him to be driving it with this light flashing? I have just made an appointment at the local Mazda dealer for evaluation but the soonest time slot they had is Monday morning (it's the Tuesday before as I write this). Not to sound ignorant, but car stuff is not my thing and I'm just wondering whether I should I be getting the car towed to a dealer immediately and going to pick him up - or given the well documented history of this issue, is it safe for him to drive it home with this light flashing? I'm trying not to overreact but also don't want him to be in danger, of course. Thanks in advance for the advice -

My son has my car today (a CX-5 2016) and has just called to say the parking brake light is flashing although the car seems to be driving normally. I've read this thread and it sounds like the problem is the EPB module (from my layman's perspective). My question is does anyone know how dangerous it is for him to be driving it with this light flashing? I have just made an appointment at the local Mazda dealer for evaluation but the soonest time slot they had is Monday morning (it's the Tuesday before as I write this). Not to sound ignorant, but car stuff is not my thing and I'm just wondering whether I should I be getting the car towed to a dealer immediately and going to pick him up - or given the well documented history of this issue, is it safe for him to drive it home with this light flashing? I'm trying not to overreact but also don't want him to be in danger, of course. Thanks in advance for the advice -
Which warning light did your son see? It could be both? As long as the “Brake Warning” light is not on, only the “Electric Parking Brake Warning” is flashing, driving the 2016 CX-5 should be fine provided he doesn’t smell any brake burning from rear.

57CC7BEE-2BF2-412B-89BE-E168C5DB312F.jpeg

Take a copy of the TSB and show it to the dealer. The issue is not the EPB module, but the rear disk calipers. Mazda has revised the calipers to fix the EPB dragging issue.

If the factory battery has never been replaced, a weak battery could also cause EPB releasing problem and trigger the EPB warning. The EPB warning light should go away once the engine is running for a while charging the battery a bit, and shut the engine off and restart so that the EPB can be released with enough power from a bit charged battery. If this’s the case, a new battery (Group 35 Interstate battery at Costco for $79) is all you need.

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Which warning light did your son see? It could be both? As long as the “Brake Warning” light is not on, only the “Electric Parking Brake Warning” is flashing, driving the 2016 CX-5 should be fine provided he doesn’t smell any brake burning from rear.

View attachment 233580

Take a copy of the TSB and show it to the dealer. The issue is not the EPB module, but the rear disk calipers. Mazda has revised the calipers to fix the EPB dragging issue.

If the factory battery has never been replaced, a weak battery could also cause EPB releasing problem and trigger the EPB warning. The EPB warning light should go away once the engine is running for a while charging the battery a bit, and shut the engine off and restart so that the EPB can be released with enough power from a bit charged battery. If this’s the case, a new battery (Group 35 Interstate battery at Costco for $79) is all you need.

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging
Thank you - the battery DOES need replacing, so I will start there. Also, the light he is seeing is the first, so this is extremely helpful!

Thank you - the battery DOES need replacing, so I will start there. Also, the light he is seeing is the first, so this is extremely helpful!
My situation may be different from yours as my 2016 CX-5 had done the TSB under warranty. Mine have revised disk calipers which eliminated the possibility of EPB dragging issue when I had the EPB warning. I imagine your 2016 CX-5 still has old calipers which may have disk dragging issue on EPB. Nevertheless get the battery replaced is the proper and cheap first step trying to resolve your issue.

NHTSA now publishes all TSBs which the automakers HATE. So, the automakers are moving some of the information that used to be published in TSBs to "newsletters" (such as Honda's monthly-to-dealer ServiceNews publication) to minimize public knowledge of certain issues.

Last edited:
I purchased a 2016 CX-5 for my mother and it starting having the Parking brake light staying on. The brakes dont seem to be dragging, because i can roll the car easy in neutral.
At first it would go back off, but now the light stays on.

I could hear the motors when operating the EPB, but light stays on.

Per the TSB, does the caliper need replaced or just the EPB motor?
If i understand the problem correctly it's with the clearances in the EPB motor screw.

I was thinking of getting a 2107 motor from a junkyard.

PS she has been driving it for 3mths with no problems, other than the light stays on.

I purchased a 2016 CX-5 for my mother and it starting having the Parking brake light staying on. The brakes dont seem to be dragging, because i can roll the car easy in neutral.
At first it would go back off, but now the light stays on.

I could hear the motors when operating the EPB, but light stays on.

Per the TSB, does the caliper need replaced or just the EPB motor?
If i understand the problem correctly it's with the clearances in the EPB motor screw.

I was thinking of getting a 2107 motor from a junkyard.

PS she has been driving it for 3mths with no problems, other than the light stays on.
No, it isn’t the motor, it’s the caliper need to be replaced with revised version on both sides. Read the TSB posted in post #246 above.

It is also possible that it is the brake light switch, I think there may be two...

Back