SKYACTIV II with HCCI to debut within weeks

It all depends on personal expectations and experiences. Imagine how a 1860's cowboy would have felt doing 0-60 in under 8 seconds? DOING 60 MPH AT ALL!!!?!? It takes 500+hp in a 3200# car to get my attention. Others may find 300hp in the same, "fast". This forum is total evidence of that. Noone here on stock suspension is pulling even 0.9g, and yet all they do is RRAAAVVEEEE about how this thing just DOMINATES corners, lol!

Let's complete this statement correctly so it doesn't sound so disingenuous​ like it does how you have it written now...

"And yet all they do is RRAAAVVEEEE about how this thing just DOMINATES corners, compared to other crossovers in the same segment

Some of you only view things in the extreme. "I can't possibly have fun driving a CX-5, because it's not a sports car and sports cars are fun". Sure, but why can't I have fun driving other cars too? I don't conform to your rules and you don't ******* speak for everybody.

Some of you are also one dimensional. "In order for cars to be fun, they have tons of HP". While I agree Mazda needs some faster engines in their lineup (would love to see some more Mazdaspeed), I've never been starved for power in my CX-5. It begs me to drive spirited. Unless there's some douchbag in a fast car stopped next to me at a light thinking he's racing everybody he stops next to, I smoke pretty much everything everytime not even trying, or even putting the pedal to the metal, just driving normally.

Anyway I'll agree about the 2017. I'm really not fond of it at all, and can at least be consistent in why I like my CX-5.

So yeah, I guess it defies conventional logic a bit, but I love driving my CX-5 everytime I jump into it.

Last edited:
Let's complete this statement correctly so it doesn't sound so disingenuous​ like it does how you have it written now...

"And yet all they do is RRAAAVVEEEE about how this thing just DOMINATES corners, compared to other crossovers in the same segment

Some of you only view things in the extreme. "I can't possibly have fun driving a CX-5, because it's not a sports car and sports cars are fun". Sure, but why can't I have fun driving other cars too? I don't conform to your rules and you don't ******* speak for everybody.

Some of you are also one dimensional. "In order for cars to be fun, they have tons of HP". While I agree Mazda needs some faster engines in their lineup (would love to see some more Mazdaspeed), I've never been starved for power in my CX-5. It begs me to drive spirited. Unless there's some douchbag in a fast car stopped next to me at a light thinking he's racing everybody he stops next to, I smoke pretty much everything everytime.

Anyway I'll agree about the 2017. I'm really not fond of it at all, and can at least be consistent in why I like my CX-5.

So yeah, I guess it defies conventional logic a bit, but I love driving my CX-5 everytime I jump into it.

Let's make it even less disingenuous....how it SEEMS to compared to others, because it doesn't, by the numbers.

That in red did make me LOL though.

Last edited:
Let's make it even less disingenuous....how it SEEMS to compared to others, because it doesn't, by the numbers.

That in red did make me LOL though.

I just reread what I wrote and see what you mean. Let me fix that contradictory sentence by clarifying that I'm just driving normally, not even trying to smoke people. The CX-5 is just spirited off the line.

Edit: As for your first sentence, I guess something is working right to make it seem that way then. Because I drove the competition back then and it didn't even feel close.

Last edited:
And I've never driven a 6 but why would I get one?

Well how would you know if you haven't even driven one yet, you imbecile.

when I could get a new Camry with 300+HP, quad exhaust, and 8 speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters for the same price? The new Camry IMO looks like it's going to be a beast and the best bang for your buck in the class.

No thanks, that Toyota is even uglier then the new accord. Why don't you Head over to the Toyota forums?

Last edited:
I just reread that and see what you mean. Let me clarify that I'm just driving normally, not even trying to smoke people. The CX-5 is spirited off the line.

I don't think that's what he meant. During daily driving, revving to 3-4000RPM the car is more impressive then the numbers suggest. It's actually peppy, responsive and fun. The gearing makes good use of the torque.

I don't think that's what he meant. During daily driving, revving to 3-4000RPM the car is more impressive then the numbers suggest. It's actually peppy, responsive and fun. The gearing makes good use of the torque.

No, the red part in his quote, I wrote that all wrong. Sounded like I was making fun of wannabe stop light racers while trying to be a wannabe stop light racer so I clarified it lol.

Agreed. It is responsive and fun.

Eventually I will get a sports car at some point, but even then I'll still be able to say both of my cars are fun ;)

I just reread what I wrote and see what you mean. Let me fix that contradictory sentence by clarifying that I'm just driving normally, not even trying to smoke people. The CX-5 is just spirited off the line.

Edit: As for your first sentence, I guess something is working right to make it seem that way then. Because I drove the competition back then and it didn't even feel close.

2017 > 2014

That's because the torque delivery is a total anomaly in an NA 4-banger, and like you say, the gearing is well done, especially with the AWD model. For the complete antithesis of this, check out the S2000.

2017 > 2014

Your point being?

If I am guessing right, yes competition now is different and the 2017 CX-5 is different from ours. As I already stated, the 2017 CX-5 doesn't really do it for me.

That's because the torque delivery is a total anomaly in an NA 4-banger, and like you say, the gearing is well done, especially with the AWD model. For the complete antithesis of this, check out the S2000.

Well there you go. Seems you already knew this answer... (stooges)

Last edited:
The torque output from the cellar on this engine is its most endearing quality best na4 I've probably ever sampled in that regard so i can't disagree more

It all depends on personal expectations and experiences. Imagine how a 1860's cowboy would have felt doing 0-60 in under 8 seconds? DOING 60 MPH AT ALL!!!?!? It takes 500+hp in a 3200# car to get my attention. Others may find 300hp in the same, "fast". This forum is total evidence of that. Noone here on stock suspension is pulling even 0.9g, and yet all they do is RRAAAVVEEEE about how this thing just DOMINATES corners, lol!

Agree 100%. What is most hilarious to me on this forum is how people discuss the performance of the CX-5, gems like:

"I smoke pretty much everything everytime not even trying"

Or

"I pop it into sport mode and leave it in the dust"

And why does 'performance off the line' even matter in a vehicle like this? I guess some like to close their eyes and think they're in a Ferrari every now and then.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. What is most hilarious to me on this forum is how people discuss the performance of the CX-5, gems like:

"I smoke pretty much everything everytime not even trying"

Or

"I pop it into sport mode and leave it in the dust"

And why does 'performance off the line' even matter in a vehicle like this? I guess some like to close their eyes and think they're in a Ferrari every now and then.

It's a little funny, but at least they are enjoying their cars.

Now what I find really funny is you coming on here and spewing s*** all over the place.

By "rips", do you mean "sucks"? Because yeah, it does. For a 4 cylinder non-FI AWD SUV though, I think it's actually impressive. Just not "in the grand scheme of things". I view it as "adequate for the task at hand".

Ultimately though, people don't really care about actual performance data/numbers. They care about "feel", and the CX5 certainly "feels" good for what it is, I agree.

So does it suck or is it adequate? I don't understand.

For the smaller Mazda 6, the 2.5L is fun. For the cuz-5, it's merely adequate at most. So I get where you're coming from.

From a dead stop the CX-5 is fine, at least to me. It's getting on the freeway with a semi on the left and I gotta get past it where I wish the vehicle had a bit more bite. It would also be nice if it had a bigger gas tank so I could go more than 320 miles without the orange light coming on.

I had a speed6 about 10-years ago and I don't see the point to this day. Sure, I could take it to 90 in a heartbeat, assuming I could shift it right, something I had difficulty with, especially after they did some work to the turbo about a year after I bought it. But, again, to what purpose? Was it fun? A little bit, but I couldn't go 90 without red lights showing up behind me. It really wanted to go fast too, I'd be at 80 routinely and not even know it.

And the cost, jeez! The tires wore out 15 minutes after I bought it, premium gas was $4.00 back then and I don't remember the MPG but it wasn't much above 20 in mix of city/highway.

It's remarkable to me how well tuned the CX-5 is to the various speed limits. It just settles in at 65 or 35 like it can read the signs. That's fast enough for most of us buying this kind of car.

From a dead stop the CX-5 is fine, at least to me. It's getting on the freeway with a semi on the left and I gotta get past it where I wish the vehicle had a bit more bite. It would also be nice if it had a bigger gas tank so I could go more than 320 miles without the orange light coming on.

Yeah I agree with this statement. Best bet throwing it into sport mode and having the rpms in the best range possible. It surprisingly makes a difference.

But I really really agree with the fuel capacity. The tank gets me well through a week to week and a half of work but when I drove to Florida a couple months ago, I felt the range was just too short. So odd to think the 6 has a bigger fuel tank then the cx5.

No Mango, I don't see myself driving a Ferrari when I drive my CX-5.

What I see is that it drives exactly how I like to drive and responds perfectly with how I like it to drive. And thus it is a fun and enjoyable experience.

And yes I pretty much am the fastest car from a dead stop (exception being high HP wannabe street racers that pedal to the metal when it turns green, I laugh at them) when the light turns green without even thinking about it. It's just the pep of the CX-5 while other cars sit there taking 10 minutes to reach the speed limit. That's all I was saying. It's your fault for trying to interpret that as some racing/track bulls***.

Not sure why this is such a foreign concept? Oh that's right, it just give you an excuse to "spew s***" all over this forum to use someone else's phrase. Your previous post was nothing but a troll post that contributed nothing to the thread except apparently calling us all delusional because we can actually enjoy driving our CX-5. You really are a piece of work and one of these days people will stop quoting you so I can stop seeing your bulls***.

Edit: And what's hilarious is the "fun to drive" thread over on the CR-V forums. Those who don't think it is just quote soccer mom wins their CR-V has, and then there are others that actually acknowledge it's ride/drive.

Truly funny.

Last edited:
And that's why it's selling so well right? Oh wait....

That engine is fine for the Mazda3, but under powered for the 6 and CX-5.

Look up the car and driver comparo Mazda 6 vs Camry Accord and Malibu. It makes the most torque at the best RPM and smokes each and everyone one of its competitors. So power is clearly not the reason why people aren't buying the Mazda 6. And a faster engine wouldn't boost sales by a huge amount because most people in this category go for the 4 cylinder. You have no idea what you're talking about.

No Mango, I don't see myself driving a Ferrari when I drive my CX-5.

What I see is that it drives exactly how I like to drive and responds perfectly with how I like it to drive. And thus it is a fun and enjoyable experience.

^^^^^

Not sure why this is such a foreign concept? Oh that's right, it just give you an excuse to "spew s***" all over this forum to use someone else's phrase. Your previous post was nothing but a troll post that contributed nothing to the thread except apparently calling us all delusional because we can actually enjoy driving our CX-5. You really are a piece of work and one of these days people will stop quoting you so I can stop seeing your bulls***.

Amen

Yeah I agree with this statement. Best bet throwing it into sport mode and having the rpms in the best range possible. It surprisingly makes a difference.

2015 Touring here, so no sport mode but that would address one of my concerns about the 2017.

I'm typically filling up 5-6 times/month. It would be more but the weekend traffic in these parts during the summer pretty much means that I can leave home but not return for several hours if I go anywhere of substance. So, mostly I don't. It's one of the great places in the world to live, bike and hike so I can't really complain, even if it's always foggy and all you tourists show up on the weekends.

Last Saturday, I probably went 20 miles out of the way to take every backroad so I could get home. I bypassed a several mile backup at a stop-sign then another 3-4 mile backup and 10-mile stop and go on the local freeway. Ironically, doing this kind of thing is exactly what a Mazda is made for, except some fugger in a civic went flying by me on a crazy curving downhill. He locked onto my back and I was borderline comfortable taking the curves although the bigger part was that they were blind and often a single-lane. He had no such concerns. I was impressed actually that a beater civic could do that kind of thing but not impressed enough to try.

Back