SKYACTIV II with HCCI to debut within weeks

:
Mazda CX-5 Akera
Mazda to reveal ground-breaking HCCI tech and new design for its next small car within weeks....

For now, the company is targeting another 30 per cent reduction in fuel consumption with the ground-breaking introduction of HCCI next year. This claimed reduction is in addition to the 30 per cent cut it has achieved since 2008....

As part of the post-2020 renewal of its entire model line-up, theres the possibility Mazda will introduce a full range of MPS performance models based around an HCCI-equipped version of the CX-9s 2.5-litre turbo-petrol engine. This hot-shoe line-up will almost certainly including an MPS-variant of the CX-5....

https://www.motoring.com.au/revolutionary-2018-mazda3-engine-design-details-soon-108315/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...azda-skyactiv-engine-is-just-weeks-away-.html

awesome, cant wait to see the new cars.

as far as I know, they are not making a mazdaspeed 6, correct? just the 3 and rotary concept as far as I know.

awesome, cant wait to see the new cars.

as far as I know, they are not making a mazdaspeed 6, correct? just the 3 and rotary concept as far as I know.

Who knows. The same 2.5T engine could be applied to about half their lineup, ie. 3, 6 and CX-5. Rotary would just be rotary, not MPS. Small steps.

Mazda to reveal ground-breaking HCCI tech and new design for its next small car within weeks....

For now, the company is targeting another 30 per cent reduction in fuel consumption with the ground-breaking introduction of HCCI next year. This claimed reduction is in addition to the 30 per cent cut it has achieved since 2008....

As part of the post-2020 renewal of its entire model line-up, theres the possibility Mazda will introduce a full range of MPS performance models based around an HCCI-equipped version of the CX-9s 2.5-litre turbo-petrol engine. This hot-shoe line-up will almost certainly including an MPS-variant of the CX-5....

https://www.motoring.com.au/revolutionary-2018-mazda3-engine-design-details-soon-108315/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...azda-skyactiv-engine-is-just-weeks-away-.html

Old news m8te :D

Details on the new HCCI engine will be revealed soon and will initially appear in the 2018 (probably USA model year 2019) Mazda 3 followed by the other models including the CX-5

Ah sorry. Didn't see you posted that in another thread. I thought the cylinder deactivation bit was a different thing. No doubt HCCI will be revealed at Frankfurt. Look forward to the reveal. This will certainly separate Mazda from the rest of the competition and it'll make them go from strength to strength.

Ah sorry. Didn't see you posted that in another thread. I thought the cylinder deactivation bit was a different thing. No doubt HCCI will be revealed at Frankfurt. Look forward to the reveal. This will certainly separate Mazda from the rest of the competition and it'll make them go from strength to strength.
No biggie [emoji3] [emoji106]

The SkyActiv-Xs lean-burning is said to improve engine efficiency by up to 30 per cent over the current SkyActiv-G petrol engine type fitted to all Mazdas bar the BT-50, while equalling or exceeding the fuel economy of its SkyActiv-D diesel engines.

Mazda says that compression ignition in tandem with an engine supercharger slashes fuel use while increasing torque 1030 per cent over the current SkyActiv-G gasoline engine.

Source: Mazda launching compression-ignition in 2019, details EV and autonomous tech plans

Honestly, once my vehicle reaches the tail of its life-cycle bell-curve, this is something I would consider. My CX5 ownership has best so far been summed up as "meh" during the last 2 years, in every aspect. However, if it could actually achieve good fuel economy (30+ real world MPG), I would be down to do it again. As it stands, I am looking at other products for when this one is worn out.

When the time comes after my next vehicle for me to change, will see what this has to offer along other products

Quote from the website:

"This compression ignition will make possible a super lean burn[SUP]4[/SUP] that improves engine efficiency up to 2030 percent over the current SKYACTIV-G, and from 3545 percent over Mazdas 2008 gasoline engine of the same displacement. SKYACTIV-X even equals or exceeds the latest SKYACTIV-D diesel engine in fuel efficiency."

I'm all for this. I've been a supporter of diesel and driven diesel cars for at least 19 years. This engine will be the best of all worlds and we won't have to contend with the dreaded oil rise issue and DPF bolt-ons which are plaguing diesel engine technology nowadays. I'm looking forward to what Mazda is going to introduce. Perhaps we will finally get a petrol auto in the UK.

To be fair, my 2017 diesel hasn't diluted the oil at all in the first 1500 miles. That would not have happened with the 2016.5. However, I'm up for either this new petrol engine or the mooted Toyota 2.5 hybrid version.

I'm sick of the dirty diesel rhetoric too.

The SkyActiv-X’s lean-burning is said to improve engine efficiency by up to 30 per cent over the current SkyActiv-G petrol engine type fitted to all Mazdas bar the BT-50, while equalling or exceeding the fuel economy of its SkyActiv-D diesel engines.

Mazda says that compression ignition in tandem with an engine supercharger slashes fuel use while increasing torque 10–30 per cent over the current SkyActiv-G gasoline engine.

Source: Mazda launching compression-ignition in 2019, details EV and autonomous tech plans

So we should forget about the 2.5T and look for a supercharged 2.5? I was going to buy the diesel when it arrived but if this is close, it could be a winner. Heck, it would make the MPG of the CX-9 look appealing.

Also, Mazda will have EV for 2019. I wonder if those will be Toyota engines?

Last edited:
So we should forget about the 2.5T and look for a supercharged 2.5? I was going to buy the diesel when it arrived but if this is close, it could be a winner. Heck, it would make the MPG of the CX-9 look appealing.

Also, Mazda will have EV for 2019. I wonder if those will be Toyota engines?

One article mentioned CX-5 being among last to get HCCI, several years away.

I'm taking this press release with a huge grain of salt. If Mazda says SkyActiv-X wth HCCI is coming in 2019, I'm assuming that's the earliest possible date and applies to limited markets, while the likelihood of it coming to the US in the next few years depends on 2 miracles happening and a planetary alignment.

One article mentioned CX-5 being among last to get HCCI, several years away.

Yes, most likely. But honestly, we are already in the 2018 car year so I think you could expect a Sky-Active X CX-5 for sale in 2019. I could wait 2 years with my current car and skip the diesel.

There press release had lots of good information - superchargers and electric cars!

Back