Skyactiv filters

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Anyone found a place to buy oil/air and cabin OEM filters for the skyactiv engine? I'm looking to buy a 6 pack of oil filters at a fair price. My local dealer get $8.xx/oil filter and I can purchase WIX for ~ $6.50 each for a 6 pack. I'd like to get OEM for ~ same as the WIX. Ed

Hand A is the cheapest I've found. What is that, like 30k miles worth of filters?!

What are other brands that is worth considering besides the ones from Mazda for oil filter? What about engine oil? Though my car only have about 2.7k miles, from the manual, it said change every 7.5k or 6 months.

The owners manual has two sets of conditions for determining oil change intervals. Severe service (described in manual) which requires an oil change every 5,000 miles and, Normal service, which requires an oil change every 7,500 miles. Other oil filters I would consider are the WIX and NAPA Gold which is a WIX. There are other filters for sure but, I think the WIX/NAPA Gold are top grade filters for a fair price. In the past, I had excellent service with my Mazda CX7 DI turbo engine using Pennzoil Platinum oil. Several UOAs showed this oil was very good when doing 6,000 mile oil changes. The CX5, while not turbo charged, may get excellent service from Pennzoil standard oil or the "Yellow Bottle" as some refere it it. I have not decided between the Synthetic or YB yet. SYN oil would be a waste if we follow the severe service or even the normal service intervals, which are required to maintain the warranty. JMO. Ed

erhayes, check your owners manual, for maintaining warrantee you may have to use full synthetic. You can buy the Mazda 0-20 GF-5 with MOLY on line which is formulated for Skyactiv engine.

Ed- if this truly is "your retirement fun vehicle" why cheap out on something so essential as oil?

SYN oil would be a waste if we follow the severe service or even the normal service intervals, which are required to maintain the warranty. JMO. Ed The way I see it, if you're like most people and drive 10-15k miles/year, you're changing oil every six months using either the 5k or 7.5k mile service interval. Using 9 qts of Mazda super-duper oil and two filters (and doing it myself) costs me a grand total of about $75 a year. And that's basically my total yearly outlay for maintenance for the first two or three years! How cheap is that?

Back