Ski trip....

inodes

:
2012 Mazda CX-5 GT Diesel with Tech Pack
Hi All,

Ended up taking the diesel on a road trip to go skiing a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely brilliant car for the trip.

Fuel Economy
The fuel economy for the trip was about 36mpg, with most of the trip being a fuel hungry 120km/h (75mph). With the diesel though, this speed is at a very quiet 1900rpm, which means the sound is very quiet in comparison to the petrol.

Overtaking
Often on the highway, overtakes are required. The overtaking of the CX-5 diesel is nothing short of sublime. It is a *LOT* more reactive than my previous SP23. The overtaking speed is immediate and it inspires confidence when quick overtakes are required prior to blind corners.

Reaction on Road
It's compulsory to have the ability to react quick on Australian country roads. Kangaroos and Wombats are common. Kangaroos will often just bounce out of nowhere and you need a quick reaction to avoid them. A single Kangaroo can write off a vehicle (and the Kangaroo). I had to make a few quick avoidance manoeuvers, and the car impressed me with how safely I was able to chuck it around.

Ice
Was great having the AWD. Heading into the snowfields, the Police were pulling over all the 2WD cars to install chains.
Once on ice, the CX-5 stuck to it like glue (at low speeds of course). Very impressed!!

garage_attachment.php

Nice write-up. So did the police stop you and have you explain it was AWD, or do they just see a SUV and assume it has AWD and let you through?

Nice write-up. So did the police stop you and have you explain it was AWD, or do they just see a SUV and assume it has AWD and let you through?

AWD logo is on back of CX-5 (at least in US and Australia markets). In California we go through that drill in ski country on major highways, officers wave-through SUV's like this (often they don't even look for logo).

Nice report, can't wait to get CX-5 into Sierra Nevada mountains around Lake Tahoe.

There are obvious 4WD's and some that could be either/or. The CX-5 falls into the either/or category, and the Police couldn't be bothered looking for the logo.
The CX-5 coming through behind me was 2WD but said that he was AWD and got waved through.

The long line of chain installers on 2WD were enough to make me glad to have AWD.

Latest posts

Back