Size of the stock speakers?

Kim Tagert went to school at Penn State and was a friend of a girl i dated (a ***** exgirlfriend)....not that i'm bitter or anything...

Last edited:
OK, well IC

dannyboy said:
Kim Tagert went to school at Penn State and was friends of a girl i dated who's a ***** of my exgirlfriend....not that i'm bitter or anything...

I'm not from here. I move here in 2000 to go to Med School and I grad next week. I work in the biggest hospital Erie has (oxi-moron) so I see alot of names and thar one just sounded familar. My two friend from school got married on Sat. The live in the Valley Forge Towers near the King of Prussia Mall. Never been to philly until last year to visit them. Went to Pat's and Gino's for some cheese steaks, Liberty Bell, Franklin Museum, etc. Great Time but BAD traffic.

Sir. SpeedALot said:
I may be talking out of my ass, but there have been numerous post showing people using attachments so they can fit 6.5 speakers in the front door. I haven't actually removed them, so I can't confirm. Maybe the 5-door differs from the 4-door. This is giving me a headache... (braindead

The stock ones are in fact oval 5x7/6x8, but with an available adapter plate you can install 6.5" speakers without a problem. I have a pair of Alpine SPX-117a 6.5" components in the front and a pair of 6.5" Alpine SPR-134a coaxials in the rear of my hatchback.

Also, be sure you get some sort of baffle or wrap the basket with duct tape so water won't short out your speakers. The factory speakers have a rain shield (half shield in fact) protecting them from this sort of thing.

i am not sure if anyone answered his question on the speaker sizes yet. If your 3 is like the american version then the fronts and the rears are both 5x7. They are def. not 6.5. Just take off the doors and you you will be able to see. The fronts and the backs are both oval.

bluntman said:
The stock ones are in fact oval 5x7/6x8, but with an available adapter plate you can install 6.5" speakers without a problem. I have a pair of Alpine SPX-117a 6.5" components in the front and a pair of 6.5" Alpine SPR-134a coaxials in the rear of my hatchback.

Also, be sure you get some sort of baffle or wrap the basket with duct tape so water won't short out your speakers. The factory speakers have a rain shield (half shield in fact) protecting them from this sort of thing.
so does the factory stereo run these ok?
where did you place the tweaters?
what about rattles? or can you,live withit?

thanks

Thanks for bringing this up guys, I had totaly forgotten to add the M3 to my speaker size sticky thread.

Its updated now and as some of you know they are all indeed 5x7s

Yes, the speakers are 5 x 7 / 6 x 8 standard ford issue. You can easily find speakers to fit the existing holes, or you could get nice quality seperates, and fit them in the factory location pretty easy. Here's what I did:

install001.jpg

Infinity Reference Series 6.5" component set for the front, and 6.5" Coax for rear

install002.jpg

1/4" MDF home made adapters for my speakers, painted flat black.

install003.jpg

Component set mounted in factory location :)

install004.jpg

A close up. It's hard to tell, but tweeter is angled up quite a bit, and imaging is fantastic.

install005.jpg

The back door coaxials in their custom mount

Mz3011.JPG

And the 12" Crossfire sub in 1.2 ft3 MDF box. This sort of setup works really well in the hatch. I've got a binding post on the box, and banana clip connector, so it's quite easy to remove sub for lugging around cargo.

brett_32i said:
so does the factory stereo run these ok?
where did you place the tweaters?
what about rattles? or can you,live withit?

thanks

I have a 4 channel amp running the main speakers and a mono amp running the 10" Type R sub in the trunk, all running off of the factory HU. It works and sounds great. The tweeters from the front components are in the stock tweeter locations (I replaced the factory tweeters with these). I don't have any rattles at all.

El Ropo said:
Yes, the speakers are 5 x 7 / 6 x 8 standard ford issue. You can easily find speakers to fit the existing holes, or you could get nice quality seperates, and fit them in the factory location pretty easy. Here's what I did:

install001.jpg

Infinity Reference Series 6.5" component set for the front, and 6.5" Coax for rear

install002.jpg

1/4" MDF home made adapters for my speakers, painted flat black.

install003.jpg

Component set mounted in factory location :)

install004.jpg

A close up. It's hard to tell, but tweeter is angled up quite a bit, and imaging is fantastic.

install005.jpg

The back door coaxials in their custom mount

Mz3011.JPG

And the 12" Crossfire sub in 1.2 ft3 MDF box. This sort of setup works really well in the hatch. I've got a binding post on the box, and banana clip connector, so it's quite easy to remove sub for lugging around cargo.

Why did you place the tweeters down there?

Why did you place the tweeters down there?

3 reasons:

1. Because the way the opening in the door panel is designed, if i had installed tweeter above midbass, about 50% of the tweeter's output would be blocked by the door panel, I'd rather have a sliver of the midbass's output blocked.

2. Because that helps even out the distance between tweeters for both front passengers, therefore making for nicer, more balanced imaging.

3. Because putting the tweeter in the factory location seperates it too far from the midbass, thus diminishing the imaging possibilities. (drive)

I like the box for your sub, where did you get it?

I picked it up at a local shop for around USD $45. It's 3/4" MDF, and pretty well made, but I suspect it is just a generic box, made in china or something.

The sub was on sale, think I paid $114 for both the sub and box, they installed sub for me (no extra charge) so I could keep the crossfire warranty, as they don't honor their warranty unless an authorized installer did the work.

krstofer said:
You're smart. :)

I like the box for your sub, where did you get it? mine is too big.

Krs
A box must be a certain size given the subs being used.

1sty said:
A box must be a certain size given the subs being used.
I know, but it looks like the sub is a 10" which is what I have. I have a box meant to be ported, so I think it is bigger than necessary since I rather have a non-ported box.

The point I'm getting at is you need to knwo specifily what air space your sub needs based on the enclosure type it will be installed in. Then buy that size box.

No, I think I will do whatever I want..(glare)

J/K I guess I should check the instructions. How do you know if you have the right size when making a fiberglass box? I am thinking of putting one either in the spare well or the jack space. I read you can be off 20% if you are using a sealed enclosure. but how do you measure it to begin with?

Krs

Sir. SpeedALot said:
I may be talking out of my ass, but there have been numerous post showing people using attachments so they can fit 6.5 speakers in the front door. I haven't actually removed them, so I can't confirm. Maybe the 5-door differs from the 4-door. This is giving me a headache... (braindead

It wouldn't make any sense for Mazda, or any other car company, to do that. Same size for all speakers for all models.

krstofer said:
No, I think I will do whatever I want..(glare)

J/K I guess I should check the instructions. How do you know if you have the right size when making a fiberglass box? I am thinking of putting one either in the spare well or the jack space. I read you can be off 20% if you are using a sealed enclosure. but how do you measure it to begin with?

Krs
MOck it up and then fill it with packing peanuts. Then put those peanuts in a gallon or 5 gallon bucket and use the gallon to liter conversion to determin what space you have.

Back