Sitting in Toyota dealership

I use the SPORT MODE when I need to accelerate hard (passing, on ramps).

It seems like it shifts harder/faster in sport mode and of course the engine goes to higher RPMs and stays longer in the lower gears. Remember, low gears do torque multiplication. High gears are for highway cruising and better MPG.Trying to accelerate in 4th gear is not the best.
I'd think it takes too long to push that button.

When I was in the market for a new CUV, it was either the RAV4 or the CX-5. I was actually looking to get a good deal on left over 2015s. If had found a dealer that was willing to sell one for $21-22K before TTL, I would have gone for it, but they were all sold out. The RAV4 may be ugly, but its more function than form thats for sure. One thing that it has that really lured me was the electronic limited slip function or "Auto LSD." I travel to many job sites for my job and sometimes its in rough terrain where it would be extremely beneficial to have it. For example, the last job I was on was all mudded up from the recent rains we've been having. At this time i had the opportunity to rent a RAV4 while my truck was in the shop for some warranty work. I turned on the Auto LSD and where some of the other work trucks got stuck, the RAV4 just powered through. Now the Mazda is so much more fun to drive, has firmer suspension, and is a bit more fuel efficient, but I worry about its performance in rough terrain with the FWD since Mazda doesn't have anything similar to Toyota's Auto LSD. The RAV4's suspension is anything but sporty in comparison, however in offroad conditions i think it is better suited than the CX-5. We'll see what happens when I get a chance to test the CX-5 in the mud and sand...

but I worry about its performance in rough terrain with the FWD since Mazda doesn't have anything similar to Toyota's Auto LSD. The RAV4's suspension is anything but sporty in comparison, however in offroad conditions i think it is better suited than the CX-5. We'll see what happens when I get a chance to test the CX-5 in the mud and sand...

You need to watch/listen to this video:

You need to watch/listen to this video:

That was a fantastic video! And by no other than "monkey power" Dave Coleman himself!

I'm going to sidetrack a little bit here, but I grew up reading every cover of Sport Compact Car and I would always look forward to reading his page because I would always learn something new. And its funny because this video is exactly the type of content he would write about and get my head thinking and it just brings back so much fond memories. He was the reason i went to engineering school, unfortunately I did not finish and went another direction, but he had some positive impact in my life and I hope he is doing well.

Anyhow, back on topic. From watching the video, the CX-5 seems to have an impressive amount of engineering and features on the available AWD model and I have no doubt it that it is on par or probably better than whatever Toyota uses for the RAV4's AWD. At this time, I cannot afford an AWD model and have to make due with the Sport FWD. According to the owners manual, the CX-5 sport only has TCS and no limited slip function whereas the RAV4 base model FWD comes standard with AUTO LSD in addition to TCS. This is where I think the RAV4 comes ahead in base model features (at least in terms of off-road performance), but in does cost a bit more than a base model CX-5. I just wish Mazda would have programmed something similar...

Yeah, but they'll go 500k miles without a hiccup.

I'd way rather drive a CX-5 on looks alone so don't get me wrong, but the Toyota has one big thing going for it. They're the most reliable brand on the road.

Not sure on the 500K miles, but let's not forget they are also the brand with the most recalls.

Couple that with boring, and our choice was pretty easy as we did not even cross shop a Toyota.

I also think that Mazda introduced the (unnecessary IMHO) transmission sport mode switch for 2016, because people complained about this - which means it is not intuitive.

Your statement's logic is lacking.

I also think that Mazda introduced the (unnecessary IMHO) transmission sport mode switch for 2016, because people complained about this - which means it is not intuitive.

Your statement's logic is lacking.

I've never seen a positive review of it in any off the rags, and I think it's stupid, personally. It's for people who want to race a slow CUV, or for people who can't apply enough force with their right foot, and need throttle sensitivity re-mapping so they can merge. It makes no sense. My CX-5 rev-match downshifts when I brake hard. It shifts snappily at redline when I accelerate hard. THere is no need for a button to be mashing on when I have an accelerator under my foot already.

As with anything in life, opinions vary.

I LOVE the SPORT MODE in my CX5. I used it in a Mazda6 that I drove and loved it there also.

As with the complete misunderstanding and characterization of the AWD in the CX5, which was proven wrong by Mazda ENGINEERING statements (not internet "keyboard experts"), so is the misunderstanding of the SPORT mode. It's not as simple as some make it.

Funny on how the detractors are usually people who DO NOT even have that particular option in their vehicles. So they have no first world experience but I really think it's ENVY and people make themselves feel better by lying/saying to themselves "it's stupid and I don't like it, even though I don't have it on my car, so it makes me feel better that I am not missing it".

It would be like if the CX5 for 2016.5 released the HUD. People who bought a 2016 would be mad since they could have waited a few months and had the option of getting the HUD. In turn, some of those people would say things like "the HUD is stupid, I'm not upset that I don't have it".

For me, I would be honest and I would be a little upset if they released HUD for 2016.5 because I would like that option and would have waited. I wouldn't disparage it just to lie to myself and make myself feel better.

Human psychology. It's a complicated thing.

Last edited:
Funny on how the detractors are usually people who DO NOT even have that particular option in their vehicles.

(iagree) (rofl2)
While I don't think I need or want "Sport Mode", you won't see me saying anything bad about it because I've never driven a CX-5 that offered it. But, in the worse case scenario, it would simply go unused. No downside.

Human psychology. It's a complicated thing.

But sometimes, as you have pointed out, it's quite simple and transparent. At least to those who are merely observing.

I've never seen a positive review of it in any off the rags, and I think it's stupid, personally. It's for people who want to race a slow CUV, or for people who can't apply enough force with their right foot, and need throttle sensitivity re-mapping so they can merge. It makes no sense. My CX-5 rev-match downshifts when I brake hard. It shifts snappily at redline when I accelerate hard. THere is no need for a button to be mashing on when I have an accelerator under my foot already.

Have you tried sport mode before? It most certainly makes a difference and it does make sense. Makes sense for the appropriate times. I've read A LOT of reviews on the 16 CX-5, the main complaint is that it's too aggressive and it should be toned back. Well, I think reviewers themselves are mistaken by the whole point of it. Just as you are. It's not meant to be used probably even more than 5 mintues of driving. It truly is for those moments when you just power more quickly, and when you just wanna have some fun, keep the rpms up, and be more in the powerful zone of the torque curve. I have it in my car, and it does just that.

I am the only one perhaps who ran a full tank exclusively in SPORTS mode just to see the drop in MPG. it was 1.5 mpg and mind you: I have ensured the routes, time of travel are the same almost to 90% between normal and sports. Why I love SPORTS mode? I don't care if its all virtual. WHen I need to overtake, jump into a ramp, close a gap - quickly I find it tremendously helpful. Why? A mere small press of gas causes the REVS to jump up or I don't know: car accelerates. As soon as I leave the gas, high revs but the car slows down efficiently too. Without this switch, I would have had to depress gas pedal more and then quick braking would not quicker in comparsion to SPORTS mode. Mazda is known for being a highly responsive car, SPORTS mode takes it to a whole new level. It's NOT meant for all, many would actually HATE it.

That was a fantastic video! And by no other than "monkey power" Dave Coleman himself!

I'm going to sidetrack a little bit here, but I grew up reading every cover of Sport Compact Car and I would always look forward to reading his page because I would always learn something new. And its funny because this video is exactly the type of content he would write about and get my head thinking and it just brings back so much fond memories. He was the reason i went to engineering school, unfortunately I did not finish and went another direction, but he had some positive impact in my life and I hope he is doing well.

Anyhow, back on topic. From watching the video, the CX-5 seems to have an impressive amount of engineering and features on the available AWD model and I have no doubt it that it is on par or probably better than whatever Toyota uses for the RAV4's AWD. At this time, I cannot afford an AWD model and have to make due with the Sport FWD. According to the owners manual, the CX-5 sport only has TCS and no limited slip function whereas the RAV4 base model FWD comes standard with AUTO LSD in addition to TCS. This is where I think the RAV4 comes ahead in base model features (at least in terms of off-road performance), but in does cost a bit more than a base model CX-5. I just wish Mazda would have programmed something similar...

The mazda TCS is pretty good and also has some sort of LSD properties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecVm536i92E
I'm not familiar with how well the toyota AUTO LSD works.. but my CX-5 has gone over some pretty rough terrain without problems. I've also driven a 2007 v6 rav4 AWD up the same hill in the picture and when fully loaded with camping gear (just like the CX-5). Despite my best efforts and careful line choice, the RAV4 could not make it up.. or down without scraping the ground while the CX-5 gracefully makes it up every year. The CX-5 has a very smooth underbelly and significantly higher ground clearance than the rav4. Also, first gear is very short and you may have noticed that the engine is practically impossible to stall.
rx9J1bc.jpg

0ZkaDgC.jpg

The mazda TCS is pretty good and also has some sort of LSD properties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecVm536i92E
I'm not familiar with how well the toyota AUTO LSD works.. but my CX-5 has gone over some pretty rough terrain without problems. I've also driven a 2007 v6 rav4 AWD up the same hill in the picture and when fully loaded with camping gear (just like the CX-5). Despite my best efforts and careful line choice, the RAV4 could not make it up.. or down without scraping the ground while the CX-5 gracefully makes it up every year. The CX-5 has a very smooth underbelly and significantly higher ground clearance than the rav4. Also, first gear is very short and you may have noticed that the engine is practically impossible to stall.

I agree, the CX-5 has the most user friendly manual transmission that I have ever driven.

That's odd, my CX-5's shifts are almost telepathic. I learned a long time ago to not ease onto the throttle if I wanted some quick pick me up. If you move the throttle quickly and deliberately it will downshift almost instantly and off I go. Unless they changed this behavior in the 2.5L models?

My 2015 2.5 shifts like it has telepathy part of the time. A little slow to shift up on hills perhaps, but maybe the algorithm is better than my intuition. It's the first AT that has made me feel like I'm not missing much by not having a manual.

Hard to make a blanket statement like that. The last generation V6 Rav4 was plagued by transmission whine, rearend failure, and several other problems. All, not some, of these Rav4s suffered transmission whine. After failing to fix the problem, they discontinued the V6. Toyota had a string of problems with their automatic transmissions several years ago too.

Lesson is to research particular car you are interested, and not buying solely on a name.
Autotrader.com said:
Reliability

According to experts at J.D. Power, the RAV4 offers dramatically better reliability than the CX-5. While the firm gave the RAV4 four circles in its Power Circle Ratings, indicating better than average reliability, the CX-5 earned only two -- a below average score.
In terms of warranty coverage, the two crossovers are about the same: Both offer 3 years or 36,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage and 5 years or 60,000 of powertrain protection. But the RAV4 also offers a slight advantage here, touting 2 years or 25,000 miles of free maintenance. As a result, the RAV4 is the clear winner if reliability and running costs are your priority.

Timeless Mazda said:
Not sure on the 500K miles, but let's not forget they are also the brand with the most recalls.

Couple that with boring, and our choice was pretty easy as we did not even cross shop a Toyota.
A boring mini-suv with 4 cylinders? Blasphemy! lol

Also, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not hating on Mazda. I've driven Mazdas my whole life and have had about 8 of em so far. From GLCs to Miatas to Protege5s to all gens of RX-7. Mazda makes the most fun bang-for-the-buck cars on the road and my FD still mixes it up with people in new Porsches at Laguna Seca. If Mazda makes a 17 'speed 3, I'll be 1st in line for one.

I just happened to do my SUV shopping somewhere else and am happy with my choice. (gossip)

I am the only one perhaps who ran a full tank exclusively in SPORTS mode just to see the drop in MPG. it was 1.5 mpg and mind you: I have ensured the routes, time of travel are the same almost to 90% between normal and sports. Why I love SPORTS mode? I don't care if its all virtual. WHen I need to overtake, jump into a ramp, close a gap - quickly I find it tremendously helpful. Why? A mere small press of gas causes the REVS to jump up or I don't know: car accelerates. As soon as I leave the gas, high revs but the car slows down efficiently too. Without this switch, I would have had to depress gas pedal more and then quick braking would not quicker in comparsion to SPORTS mode. Mazda is known for being a highly responsive car, SPORTS mode takes it to a whole new level. It's NOT meant for all, many would actually HATE it.
I guess I'm one for quantifiable improvements. You quantified 1.5mpg loss. Yet every auto magazine gets the same acceleration numbers, sport mode or not.

My 2015 2.5 shifts like it has telepathy part of the time. A little slow to shift up on hills perhaps, but maybe the algorithm is better than my intuition. It's the first AT that has made me feel like I'm not missing much by not having a manual.

I'll agree with Mike M. My CX-5 shifts just like I drive when I have a manual, except it never bungles a rev-match.

Back