Should the back up camera have an alert?

When you get to close to another car behind you? Rammed into the car parked behind me because I figured it would beep when I was too close.

It depends on whether or not you have parking sensors installed. No sensors, no beeping.

Additionally, even if you do have sensors installed, they don't beep if the warning system is turned off. If you do have parking sensors, make sure the function is turned on before assuming they'll beep.

You have a camera but didn't use it? Even with the sensors, I always trusted the camera over the annoying beeping.

You have a camera but didn't use it? Even with the sensors, I always trusted the camera over the annoying beeping.
The camera only shows what's directly behind the vehicle. My 2020 GT beeps if someone is approaching from the side, as often happens when backing out of a space in a parking lot.

The camera only shows what's directly behind the vehicle. My 2020 GT beeps if someone is approaching from the side, as often happens when backing out of a space in a parking lot.

That's Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and only works for moving vehicles and pedestrians. It's a 3-beep warning that repeats as long as it detects moving objects.

In the case of the OP, since they hit a stationary car, they're likely referring to the parking sensors, which change from a slow beep to a continuous tone depending on the proximity of potential stationary objects in the car's path of travel at very low speeds.

OP clearly stated that the car they hit was parked, so not what you're eluding to.

Should the back up camera have an alert?​

When you get to close to another car behind you? Rammed into the car parked behind me because I figured it would beep when I was too close.
Wow, you’re not alone! This’s exactly what happened to my wife more than a month ago! She was backing out the CX-5 on the drive way in a hurry, and hit the wooden fence at the left-rear! She complained why there’s no beeping warning too (not her fault of course! 😁). Well it cost $536.46 (MSRP) before tax for the broken LR LED tail light assembly, and crooked rear bumper. Free labor on me unfortunately.

She definitely gets used to the beeping warning during backing up on our old 2000 BMW 528i with rear parking sensors. And she thought there should have one on a much newer 2016 CX-5!

Mazda has this (SCBS-R) in other countries like Australia.
Not in US, I believe. (welcome to correct me)

To get warning only, ultrasound sensors work to some degree.
Small range, however. (0.5-10ft) They don't work too well in rain.

What is Mazda Smart City brake support reverse?
================================
SCBS-R monitors the vehicle behind you when reversing to assess the likelihood of a collision. If there is a high risk, the system will warn you and brake automatically if needed.

Mazda has this (SCBS-R) in other countries like Australia.
Not in US, I believe. (welcome to correct me)

To get warning only, ultrasound sensors work to some degree.
Small range, however. (0.5-10ft) They don't work too well in rain.

What is Mazda Smart City brake support reverse?
================================
SCBS-R monitors the vehicle behind you when reversing to assess the likelihood of a collision. If there is a high risk, the system will warn you and brake automatically if needed.

SCBS-R controls braking. This is the automatic emergency braking that works in conjunction with Rear Cross Traffic Alert. RCTA beeps when moving obstacles are crossing your path. SCBS-R has been available on some CX-5s in the US and Canada since at least 2021.

Parking sensors beep to alert you of stationary obstacles in your path, and beep faster the closer you are to the object.

Don't forget that we all have eyes and rear view mirrors which are the most reliable safety alerts.

SCBS-R controls braking. This is the automatic emergency braking that works in conjunction with Rear Cross Traffic Alert. RCTA beeps when moving obstacles are crossing your path. SCBS-R has been available on some CX-5s in the US and Canada since at least 2021.

Parking sensors beep to alert you of stationary obstacles in your path, and beep faster the closer you are to the object.
I think SCBS-R works with ultrasound system, not RCA.
Only model with ultrasound (Signature model?) has the SCBS-R.
My '22 Turbo (one model below Signature) does not.

RCA does not give out alert if a person is standing still behind the bumper. (i.e. not moving across)

I think SCBS-R works with ultrasound system, not RCA.

What I meant was that both systems are used in the same situation - detecting moving objects while in reverse. SCBS-R controls the emergency braking in reverse, RCTA is the visual/audible warning for the driver. Neither of these systems would work for the situation OP described.

Back