Should I reburp my coolant?

So I decided to diy my coolant drain and fill. I just bought a 2019 cx9 with 50k miles. I know technically its good until 100k miles or something like that but I think draining and filling some won't hurt. I used one of those "self burping" funnels to refill. I squeezed both hoses to make sure no bubbles were left. I turned the car on and got it to operating temp with the heat blasted. The heat was definitely blowing hot but my radiator fans didn't kick in. I did this at night and in WI, the temps are still around mid 30's. I saw some bubbling but not much at all. I ran the car for about 30 minutes in total while being around 200 degrees. I could see some steam coming from the coolant in the funnel so I touched the funnel and it was hot. I saw some coolant get sucked down but then it came back up after a few minutes. I got tired of waiting for the radiator fans to kick in so I called it a night and just capped it off and let it sit. Should I be ok or should I try and reburp again?

Last edited:
If the engine temp was only around 200F, likely not hot enough to trigger fans to turn on, however, at 200F, the thermostat should be at least partially open, so you'll have coolant circulating and pushing air out.

You could try to burp it again, it wouldn't hurt.

I know with my 14 Explorer, I did a drain and fill and I had to top it off a couple times as more air bubbles worked their way out over the course of a few heat/cool cycles.

I did a drain, distilled water flush, and coolant fill on my Toyota and throughout the whole process with running the engine and heater on full blast, I never got the radiator fan to turn on. I wouldn't bother spending more time trying to burp it. Just drive it like you normally would and check the coolant reservoir level often and top it off to the proper level if it's low.

Back