Should I buy Protege 5 ?

ToyoXrsPl

I wanna get it for my gf, so she has some good car for driving around. Im probably getting 2002-2003 auto with around 60-100k km. Do u guys think that these cars r good for their value and are reliable ? Are there any common problems with those models ? I as u, because I own 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS and there were some problems with Clutch with those models also rattling on some of interior pieces. Gimme some response here as to how good is Protege 5 ?

I would say No. I've taken alot of girls in my car and none of them can have babies anymore.

Lol, seriously though its japanese so there will be rattle issues. It's reliable minus the few people who have blown their engines because of some kinda screw that gets in the engine (someone else can add details about this). Other than that and the fact that it's slow as stock, it's a good vehicle.

Very simple answer: Yes. :)

As for the bolt, its an issue that a recall fixed. So if you're lookin for one, make sure it has been brought in to have the recall service performed.

Haven't had any problems with the car. Very reliable.

Without hesitation: YES!

I just recently bought my protege 5 about 2 months ago, and I have loved every minute of it. My girlfriend hates to drive, but actually likes my car and ocasionally want to drive it, I was shocked. I can't attest for reliability because I just bought it, but it puts a smile on my face everytime I get in it.

Buy it, you wont regret it.

This is what annoys me about P5:

1. Windows rattle when open in the front doors
  2. Some plastic rattle somewhere inside
  3. Seat are very uncomfortable for trips longer than half hour
  4. Engine sounds like s***
  5. High rev 5-th gear on a highway
  6. Only good on gas if driven below 60Mph
  7. Paint chips very easily
  8. Rusty spots around back fenders from plastic rubbing against the paint
  9. Pretty loud ride
  10. My shoe gets stuck hitting plastic when trying to take my foot of the gas (very bad design)
Beside all of these things my car has been very reliable and handling is very good. Cant wait to get rid of it.

I've had it for a little over a year now. The only time it gave me problems was when that stupid curb jumped out infront of me and destroyed my front right suspension (they do that from time to time...I clearly underestimated their sneakyness)

Yes. I've had mine for 4 years now.. and I still love it as much today as I did when I got it.

i shall continue with the yes's

i love the car, it has its own styling and is so unique. people are always complimenting me on my car. so yes, buy one. now.

maxek said:

9. Pretty loud ride
  10. My shoe gets stuck hitting plastic when trying to take my foot of the gas (very bad design)
Beside all of these things my car has been very reliable and handling is very good. Cant wait to get rid of it.

Some of those things i've never had a problem with, but I agree with the high engine RPM when going on the highway. My next car is definatly going to have a bigger engine and bigger transmission. Listening to that rubber band at a constant 3,500-4,000 rpm will kill you. Thats what music is good for though.

^^ the high RPM on the highway thing is really only a problem if you are going 75-85. Keep it at 70 and it's nice and quiet.

Also, even with all the engine mods I've done I pulled 36.5mpg on the highway with the windows down for a 350 mile trip.

I've also never heard of the windows rattling.. and I would know, as I ALWAYS have my windows down unless it is raining or too cold. I've also driven the car like 12 hours in a single day a few times without even getting a little bit uncomfortable. Maybe they are uncomfortable for larger people?

The rust spots on the back fenders though, I did have that. It's covered under warranty, the dealership had that area fixed and repainted.

I also have no idea what maxek is talking about his shoe hitting plastic.. maybe he has an automatic and something is different down there I dunno.

I for one think the engine sounds nice stock, and sounds AMAZING with the racing beat catback.

Yeah there's plastic rattles and stuff.. caused by me modding stuff and forgetting to put screws back in properly and such. Plus my car has 73k miles, has an aftermarket (very stiff) front motor mount, is lowered, etc.

They are GREAT little cars though, I never want to let go of mine :)

geezuz...you have all these problems?

maxek said:

9. Pretty loud ride

GreyMan said:
geezuz...you have all these problems?

My wife's '03 has 41k on it and she hasn't had a single problem with it. Nothing! Not a rattle, not a clunk, nothing gone awry at all. It's a great car, handles superbly, and is reasonably quick, although I will agree with the noisy 5th gear at highway speed complaint. (See my post on that.) As far as the seats go, I think they're incredibly comfortable, even on long trips. Her car has leather, which may make a difference. In short, we'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Back