Shopping for a CX-9, should I avoid 2020 and earlier?

Hello all,

GF's car died and now looking for a replacement. Wanted to go for a minivan but they are either impossible to get (new Toyota Sienna) or not reliable (Chrysler Pacifica). So we've driven a lot of CX-9s as it ticks many of the boxes for us - three rows, nice ride, lots of luxury options, etc (only downside is fuel economy).

However, as I do more research, I see that 2020-2022 pandemic-era models have a valve stem issue (and there is a TSB for it) but that 2020 and earlier models have the potential for cracked cylinder heads, requiring a total engine replacement. Right now we are trying to decide between a 2020 Touring Premium with 25k miles for $30k and a 2021 Carbon with 20k miles for $35k, both former leases that were presumably traded in for something at the respective dealerships (Toyota and GMC).

I don't know how common the cracked cylinder head issue is, but the repair seems extremely expensive. Is it safer to go with the 2021-2023 to avoid this issue? I can't find any 2022 CX-9s (at all) or reasonably priced 2023 CX-9s. Given that my GF's prior car died in spectacular fashion (gaskets, axle, u-joint failures), I know she is wary of unreliable cars. This forum seems like a lot of knowledgeable people so any insight is helpful. Thanks in advance.

2021 is definitely safer as it should have the updated cylinder head. The 2020 2.5T isn't unreliable by any means, but the chance is still there. So, you can go for the 2020 to save $5k now, with the low chance of having to pay for the coolant leak issue 5+ years from now when it's out of warranty, or you pay the $5k more for a newer car with the updated cylinder head and you can put this issue out of your mind.

IMO, if I were buying now, I would probably just go with the 2021 - though if I were buying used, I'd be negotiating the sale price hard on both cars. Who knows, you may be able to knock the 2021's price down to $30k if you wear the salesperson down enough :)

The updated cylinder head also includes some 2020 models as well. You need to check the VIN# (see link). Mazda sold about 55,000 CX-9s 2019-20 so your chances of having this issue are pretty slim. Or do what I did when we bought our used 2020 if you want total peace of mind and buy used from a Mazda dealer and get their CPO 7 year / 100k miles powertrain warranty. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Thank you both, I think sm1ke's thoughts align with my own though any negotiation right now is very challenging (large metro area, large markups for new cars, small number of CX-9s). As to the updated cylinder head, unfortunately the 2020 I'm looking at is about 500 units away from escaping this problem, based on the VINs affected.

CPO 7 year / 100k miles powertrain warranty
And read the fine print before you buy the car and get the warranty. If the warranty says something like, "all oil lubricated parts," drop it. The cracked cylinder head isn't covered in this case.

I'd avoid. And I say that owning a 2019 (no issue yet)

If you are thinking there's still some warrenty left or extended one tempts you, I'd also be wary. Denial of coverage is very possible, esp not knowing exactly where the previous owner did his service, and if he followed the schedule.

Sorry, do love my car, but that's my 2c

If you want long-term reliability, get a Toyota with a 3.5 V6.

I've got a 2018 CX9 AWD GT with 60K miles. It's been a great car and has only needed fluids and brakes. I think the risk of cyl head cracking is over-blown (no pun intended); and if you buy from dealer, buy a CPO. And if you're going to spend 35K on a 3 year old car, why not spend 5K more for a brand new CX90 base?

Hello all,

GF's car died and now looking for a replacement. Wanted to go for a minivan but they are either impossible to get (new Toyota Sienna) or not reliable (Chrysler Pacifica). So we've driven a lot of CX-9s as it ticks many of the boxes for us - three rows, nice ride, lots of luxury options, etc (only downside is fuel economy).

However, as I do more research, I see that 2020-2022 pandemic-era models have a valve stem issue (and there is a TSB for it) but that 2020 and earlier models have the potential for cracked cylinder heads, requiring a total engine replacement. Right now we are trying to decide between a 2020 Touring Premium with 25k miles for $30k and a 2021 Carbon with 20k miles for $35k, both former leases that were presumably traded in for something at the respective dealerships (Toyota and GMC).

I don't know how common the cracked cylinder head issue is, but the repair seems extremely expensive. Is it safer to go with the 2021-2023 to avoid this issue? I can't find any 2022 CX-9s (at all) or reasonably priced 2023 CX-9s. Given that my GF's prior car died in spectacular fashion (gaskets, axle, u-joint failures), I know she is wary of unreliable cars. This forum seems like a lot of knowledgeable people so any insight is helpful. Thanks in advance.
Do not buy one unless you are sure the upgraded engine is in there. The corporate office will absolutely not help I recently posted my experience regarding the coolant leak issue and how corporate and the dealership treated me. Just be careful and work with a dealership who will be honest with you as a service department

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I joined this forum just to ask this but then I saw this thread. I am shopping for a CX9 but my budget is lower, and I have been looking at 2016-2017 models. How common is this problem in these years? I work from home and don't drive long distances very often. I really like the CX9 and I previously owned a 2008 Mazda 3 that I loved and never should have sold. My budget is about 18k max so if this model isnt worth it what 3rd row SUV is the better option? Thanks.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I joined this forum just to ask this but then I saw this thread. I am shopping for a CX9 but my budget is lower, and I have been looking at 2016-2017 models. How common is this problem in these years? I work from home and don't drive long distances very often. I really like the CX9 and I previously owned a 2008 Mazda 3 that I loved and never should have sold. My budget is about 18k max so if this model isnt worth it what 3rd row SUV is the better option? Thanks.
Any vehicle you buy for under $20k will probably have substantial miles and potential issues. The key is to limit the potential by ensuring whatever you buy has been maintained properly and has not had a lot of issues.. A one owner vehicle would be ideal with verified servicing. This can be done with a Carfax report. If maintenance cannot be verified, look elsewhere. One owners are limited but a two owner is not bad either. Try to buy from a private party (avoid dealer processing fees) or from an authorized dealer that will give you at least a 90 day full warranty. Here's an article that might help your decision. Notice the CX9 is #3 on the list. To me, it's not so much what brand/model 7-8 year old vehicle you buy but what is the mileage, overall condition, and what has been the service history. Good luck.

Thank you everyone for your input, as I said it will be a while before I buy. I am currently looking at the Honda Pilot as well. Anyone have experience with those?

Thank you everyone for your input, as I said it will be a while before I buy. I am currently looking at the Honda Pilot as well. Anyone have experience with those?
Hondas and Toyotas (Highlander/Sienna) have a good reputation. When our kids were young, we owned three Toyotas, a Previa, Landcruiser, and minivan and got over 220k miles on each vehicle with no major repair issues. I would recommend these brands versus any GM product. Here's one example in our area, warranty included. Good luck.

Side note…Thread cleaned…Bashing, especially relentless bashing is against Site Rules and not constructive at all. Such behavior will result in your account being permanently banned.

Now back to the thread topic…Thanks.

Side note…Thread cleaned…Bashing, especially relentless bashing is against Site Rules and not constructive at all. Such behavior will result in your account being permanently banned.

Now back to the thread topic…Thanks.
Is that why Mazda_petal just got banned?

I won’t consider used Honda vehicles as Honda is NOT like it used to be. I have a 1998 Honda CR-V with 191,776 miles but I’ve given up buying another Honda due to reliability issue in recent years. Specifically on Honda Pilot the Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM® / cylinder deactivation) on its 3.5L V6 is problematic for long-term reliability. And the outdated timing belt somehow is still there which requires expensive replacement.

I recently bought a 2016 CX-9 with just under 113,000 miles. Car lasted 3 weeks before the coolant started leaking from a cracked head. Based an my experience with Mazda's handling of this issue, I will never buy another Mazda again and will never recommend a Mazda product to anyone. Honda, Toyota and Nissan cars may not be bullet-proof, but at least those companies know how to treat owners of their products.

I'm thinking that while Mazda produces innovative, exciting equipment, I'm not sure it has been adequately tested for the long term. Examples are the version 2 CX9 cylinder head cracks, the brake rear calipers that don't fully release the inner pads after using the parking brake (I'm replacing calipers now), the version 1 CX9 transfer case, and the choice of the Ford engine with that awful water pump configuration. I really like my 2016 CX9, and I don't think I'll buy another Mazda. Mazda, I wish I could trust you.

I'm thinking that while Mazda produces innovative, exciting equipment, I'm not sure it has been adequately tested for the long term. Examples are the version 2 CX9 cylinder head cracks, the brake rear calipers that don't fully release the inner pads after using the parking brake (I'm replacing calipers now), the version 1 CX9 transfer case, and the choice of the Ford engine with that awful water pump configuration. I really like my 2016 CX9, and I don't think I'll buy another Mazda. Mazda, I wish I could trust you.
I agree. Mazda likes innovations, but sometimes lacks long-term reliability. Rotary engine is a perfect example, which almost bankrupted the company if not the Ford rescue. The recent HCCI / SPCCI / SkyActiv-X 2.0L is another example.

There’s a TSB on rear brake dragging with EPB on 2016 CX-5 and CX-9. Mazda updated the rear disk calipers for the problem and I got them replaced under new car warranty on my 2016 CX-5. I was aware the TSB and ask my Mazda dealer to replace the defective calipers (pads and rotors too) during the final week of my new car warranty.

I recently bought a 2016 CX-9 with just under 113,000 miles. Car lasted 3 weeks before the coolant started leaking from a cracked head. Based an my experience with Mazda's handling of this issue, I will never buy another Mazda again and will never recommend a Mazda product to anyone. Honda, Toyota and Nissan cars may not be bullet-proof, but at least those companies know how to treat owners of their products.

My dad bought his Highlander brand new, only serviced it at a Toyota dealer, and Toyota still told him to pound sand when his engine started burning oil like crazy shortly after his factory warranty expired. Yeah, they know how to treat their owners alright. Like you and the CX-9, based on my dad's experience with his Highlander, the chance of me buying a Toyota product in the future is very, very low.

The point in my post is not to justify the actions (or inaction) of any particular manufacturer. It's only to say that everyone has a story - sometimes you do everything right and they'll kick you to the curb anyway. Or you do everything wrong, and somehow you can still get support. There is no one manufacturer that gets everything right.

Back