Should I be weary to buy rx-8?

flaps720

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege & 2006 mazda rx8 gt
Ive decided to get rid of the MSP and start the search for a new car and the rx-8 is a serious likelihood. I am fully aware of the pros of the rx-8 but was hoping you guys could help ease my hesitation, for Ive read of a lot of faults and recalls (maybe just the first few years I suppose) as well that they are a pain to maintain and keep in tune. Plus I dont know much about rotary engines other than they love oil, rev high, have blah gas mileage, and no torque. I would only consider buying an 07 and up, with low mileage or new, Im staying away from those first years.

Basically, I am getting rid of my MSP because it is simply too problematic and flawed. I dont know what the previous owners did with it, and I hate driving and constantly wondering what is going to happen next. Should I be weary of the RX-8?

Step back and read alot of the other posts about this question.. if you stay with 07 and above u should be ok..

yes they use oil (its the nature of the beast.. if they dont stand clear)
yes the gas mileage is low 20's
yes they are not tq but they are fun to drive (not a strait line car)

GO AND DRIVE ONE... thats the first step go drive one beat on it and see if its the car for you.. most people know after a test drive if they are still interested.. after that if u are THEN read into all the rest of the rx8 stuff.

The 8 has a bad rep, but not all of them have problems. I only have to add about 3/4 of a quart of oil between changes, I bet you add more than that!
Mileage on a good day is around 22, and while it doesn't boat loads of torque, it will with out a doubt be the funnest car you will drive if you like the twisties!

The 8 has a bad rep, but not all of them have problems. I only have to add about 3/4 of a quart of oil between changes, I bet you add more than that!
Mileage on a good day is around 22, and while it doesn't boat loads of torque, it will with out a doubt be the funnest car you will drive if you like the twisties!

just curious.. did u mean I add more then 3/4 qt between changes??

your wrong.. I premix.. so my car does not use oil :)

Again I say go drive one and see what u think.

I think he might have been talking about me adding oil to my MSP, but I went to the dealer last night and tested a 40th anniversary rx-8 and was quite pleased. The aesthetics speak for themselves inside and out and it was definitely a fun car to drive. I don’t see the torque issue being too bothersome, as I am more interested in a fun handling car and the rx-8 still seemed to have enough pick-up to hang with what I am looking for, especially in the upper rpm’s.

Overall, I am looking for something that is equal to or better than the MSP in both the speed and handling department, and the rx-8 def. makes the cut and will still be pursued. However, I am also checking out a few 350Z’s and G35’s, which have yet to be test driven.

Can someone elaborate on the engine flooding issues? Thanks.

if you are going to stand the rx8 up against the 350z or g35 the 8 will lose.. the other two are much more fun, more power, handle GREAT just like the 8 price will be the only thing the 8 may win on.

as for the flooding issues I will let an 8 owner bring that up.. I have not ran into many flooding issues on the 8's around here but I have heard of them.

haha, im def. aware the 8 will lose, but the money thing is an obvious issue, but those are the 3 cars i am centering my search around for now. I drove a 09 speed 3 too, which was tons of fun, but not really my style lookswise. Plus, coming from the MSP, I might as well venture into RWD if I can : )

RWD > fwd

I think u can easily be happy in an rx8... just remember the after market is gonna be more extensive for the other two.

To tell you the truth straight line a bolt on msp is probably faster than an rx8. But yeah rwd is a blast and with the exception of some properly setup fwd setups its the better of the two.

Food for though as well...the rx8 typically will beat a 350z in auto x simply due to the fact that both cars handle almost identically but you can stuff enough tire under the rx8 rear to handle its torque output.

To tell you the truth straight line a bolt on msp is probably faster than an rx8. But yeah rwd is a blast and with the exception of some properly setup fwd setups its the better of the two.

Food for though as well...the rx8 typically will beat a 350z in auto x simply due to the fact that both cars handle almost identically but you can stuff enough tire under the rx8 rear to handle its torque output.

I agree with everything except that I think with a GREAT driver.. the 350Z will be better in auto X only because it will have more power to pull out of the corners.. tires make up for driver error.

The 2008 solo championships had (with the exception of a turbo mr2 in 3rd) the top 12 spots in b stock, the first 350z came in 14th....needless to say the rx8 dominates the b stock class in auto-x action.

if you want a car that you're guaranteed to get in, sit down, and go EVERY time... (unlike the MSP).... I'd say an 8 isn't your best bet... but for what you're after I'd say its about the best comprimise between cost, reliability and fun that you're gonna find... I'm in about the same situation except I'm not really worried about my reliability anymore (I say this.. and watch I blow it up on the way home...)... if you can afford it, and you enjoyed driving it, I say go for it.

I agree with everything except that I think with a GREAT driver.. the 350Z will be better in auto X only because it will have more power to pull out of the corners.. tires make up for driver error.

Having raced in both RX-8s and 350Zs, I must disagree. The RX-8 handles better and is more forgiving at the limit. In a drag race, yes the Z would trounce the RX-8, but on an autocross course the RX-8 will win every time given good drivers in both cars.

I think he might have been talking about me adding oil to my MSP, but I went to the dealer last night and tested a 40th anniversary rx-8 and was quite pleased. The aesthetics speak for themselves inside and out and it was definitely a fun car to drive. I dont see the torque issue being too bothersome, as I am more interested in a fun handling car and the rx-8 still seemed to have enough pick-up to hang with what I am looking for, especially in the upper rpms.

Overall, I am looking for something that is equal to or better than the MSP in both the speed and handling department, and the rx-8 def. makes the cut and will still be pursued. However, I am also checking out a few 350Zs and G35s, which have yet to be test driven.

Can someone elaborate on the engine flooding issues? Thanks.

I too was wary of the "issues" with owning a rotary. Took my time and researched everything. I test drove the 350Z and G35. Sure they have more power to them, but in the end I loved the RX-8 for everything about it. Bought a 2004 pre-owned 2 years ago and have not had a single issue. I made sure it had the recalls done beforehand. I especially love the extra room inside, though while in the driver seat you never feel like it's a 4 seater. Sounds like you have your mind made up.

Having raced in both RX-8s and 350Zs, I must disagree. The RX-8 handles better and is more forgiving at the limit. In a drag race, yes the Z would trounce the RX-8, but on an autocross course the RX-8 will win every time given good drivers in both cars.

Indeed, I've watched tons of comparison tests and in the end the RX-8 is a true contender. But alas, this thread is not about racing, it's a about the joy of owning a unique sports car like no other. ;)

Check out the thread on my RX-8 for more info. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123661161

Indeed, I've watched tons of comparison tests and in the end the RX-8 is a true contender. But alas, this thread is not about racing, it's a about the joy of owning a unique sports car like no other. ;)

Check out the thread on my RX-8 for more info. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123661161

This thread may not be about racing, but I don't see how someone can appreciate a car like an RX-8 with driving it the way it was designed to drive. Driving the RX-8 up to its design limits is not an activity that belongs on any public street, so racing is the only way to fully enjoy the capabilities of this car.

i appreciate all the input everybody, and I am most def. gonna continue to research all of my contenders with open-mind, be patient, and go with the one that best fits my interests and needs. Its kinda hard being patient after I just found out about an 07 rx-8 that was just traded in at a local dealer with 8,995 miles and going for $18,995 ish...

I have an 04 rx8 that has not had an issue 6spd until my wife left the truck open while i was gone for about two weeks. she tried to jump start it but flooded it. But after that none what so ever it is all about how you take care of it. mine i use the best oil and the best octane have about 48,000 on it and does not burn oil.So i say it is all in how you take care of it.

Back