2021 CX-9 Vibrating

I purchased a 2021 CX-9 Carbon addition in May of 2021 with FALKEN TIRES. We are in KY. I asked how you pay $50,000 for a car and have so many issues and not ride comfortably. It’s COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS AND UNACCEPTABLE!!!! Everything that has been done before even 2 years old. 1. Brake hardware 2. Tires 3. Amplifier replaced 4. Brake hardware 5. Wheel bearings

We have 38,000 miles on it now.

I complained of vibrating issues 6 months after owning the car. It’s like it’s flat spots in the tires. I noticed it as soon as I would pull out of the driveway the back seats vibrating and the seat in the front you can feel in your pants. It did it on the highway as well. I mean you could see the back seats shaking so bad. The sun visor was shaking as well. I took a video of the noise in the car with something in the back seat so the service person could hear it.

The dealerships finally seen where the tires had high rounds on them. So they said I needed new tires. After not even a year I need Tire’s. I complained to Mazda Corporation and the dealer ship called the tire place. They agreed to cover 50% and Mazda covered the rest. So they put new FALKEN TIRES BACK ON in April 2022. Well the ride was better for sure but not all the way gone. So around August 2022 started noticing noise in the front. Took to dealership found 1 tire on driver side had rounded out again. So they replaced it. I contacted Mazda Corporation again. So November 2022 took car in for oil change told them the car is still vibrating.. They said they didn’t feel it. They noticed the brake hardware needed replacing once again. In January 2023 took car back in for vibration and noise issues in the front. They found that the wheel barons needs replaced. Those got replaced. Still had vibrations issues. They checked everything. So in March took car in for an oil change again told them a lot of front noise and vibration is still there. They gave me a loaner car for the first time. I GOT A 2023 CX-9. Well guess what the VIBRATION ISSUES WAS TERRIBLE!!!! They called me and said THEY DID FEEL THE VIBRATION and the only thing they can come up with that I needed new TIRES AGAIN!!! I said no way that can be it. They said a DIFFERENT NAME BRAND. I immediately contact Mazda corporation. I said we are not responsible for this problem. If MAZDA is USING BAD TIRES ON THEIR CARS THEY NEED TO GET RID OF THE COMPANY. So my case was updated from when I called back in 2022. They went back and forth with me and the dealership for a month. The Mazda corporation suggested I go drive a 2021 with different tires to see if that helped. We drove a 2021 with PERFORMANCE CXV SPORT. Let me tell you it was bad and loud like driving a 4x4 truck with mud tires. It was crazy.

I talked to Mazda corporation again yesterday April 18, 2023 and they don’t know anything else to do. I said I need to speak to manager. She is supposed to escalate my case to a manager. Now I wait for a phone call.

I picked my car up today April 19, 2023 and was informed by the service manager that there is NO other car in the world that has this issue. After finding this I said there is a lot of CX-9 that had vibration issues. Praying they realize there is a VIBRATION issue with MAZDA SUV and make it right for the customers.

Last edited:
There is something wrong in your car that the doofuses in that dealership won't bother to look for. My Falken tires have been 100% smooth since the day I got the car with 6 miles on it. If those shop folks had any talent other than just replacing parts, they would have examined those tires on a Hunter Road Force machine which would have determined whether they were indeed out of round or eccentric or unbalanceable or the wheels were defective. They didn't know or didn't bother to do that. I don't understand the brake hardware issue, but that probably isn't vibration related. I think you mean wheel bearings, but that will have distinctive noise before the bearings are bad enough for vibration to develop. A possibility is the rear drive axles, but that is just a guess from here. My CX-9 has had exactly one issue, a rear spring seat, that was promptly fixed under warranty.

If you put your location in your profile we'll be able to offer suggestions. If you're in the U.S. see what your state requires for a Lemon Law case and buy-back. Filing a Lemon Law case gets the company's attention. There is a somewhat similar Canadian function...you'll have to research that if you're there.

It's the tires. I too noticed the ridiculous vibration when it was new - not just on the steering wheel but on my lap too! Two wheel-balancing acts later, problem still exists. I live in the northeast and during winter when the vehicle sits for quite some time and then take it out, unspeakably terrible. Felt like it hung on to what felt like flat spots as if it's life depended on it. And it took forever for the vibration to soften up. Those Falkens that came with the CX-9 are absolute garbage. They're rated very poorly on Tirerack. So why did Mazda put them on you ask? Probably the lowest cost at OEM bidding.

I'm at 15K miles now and it drives infinitely better, having worn down the tires more. The problem is nowhere near as bad as it was when new. I actually barely feel it, if at all. I can't wait to wear the tires out and replace them. Heck, maybe I'll change them anyway this year.

I definitely feel your pain. Just drive the darn tires and wear them down. The vibration WILL go away over time.

You might want to inspect the CV axles for play, I have had this cause issues before.

I'm right there with you though, nothing drives me more crazy than a perceptible vibration on the highway. My last four vehicles have all had a vibration and my 2022 CX-9 is the only one that is perfectly smooth on the highway (for now fingers crossed).

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite/
Vibration certainly can be from tires. The tires or wheels can be out of balance, or eccentric, or out of round, or the tires can have relatively stiff sidewalls in one part and relatively flexy sidewalls in another part (road force variation), or the wheel eccentric or damaged. A good tech with a Hunter Road Force balancer can diagnose these and tell the tech how to position the tire on the wheel and then correctly balance it so the unit runs smoothly. Or diagnose a bad tire that needs warranty replacement. Perfectly balanced tires that are egg shaped or have great road force variation will vibrate and be "impossible to balance" when the problem is something other than balance. Anyone can call local tire shops and dealerships and ask if they have the Hunter Road Force balancer or the newer Hunter Road Force Elite machine. The Road Force analysis and balance job will cost a little and be worth a lot in driving pleasure. And, if the tires are OK, then the lazy bums at the dealership have proof that they need to scratch their heads harder for the real cause of the vibration.

It won’t let me open the link
Try this one ..

Do a search function, it'll come up quickly as well, I don't want to create duplicate work for the moderators, they'll have kittens :)

Goodluck, let us know how or if it gets resolved. 👍

It's the tires. I too noticed the ridiculous vibration when it was new - not just on the steering wheel but on my lap too! Two wheel-balancing acts later, problem still exists. I live in the northeast and during winter when the vehicle sits for quite some time and then take it out, unspeakably terrible. Felt like it hung on to what felt like flat spots as if it's life depended on it. And it took forever for the vibration to soften up. Those Falkens that came with the CX-9 are absolute garbage. They're rated very poorly on Tirerack. So why did Mazda put them on you ask? Probably the lowest cost at OEM bidding.

I'm at 15K miles now and it drives infinitely better, having worn down the tires more. The problem is nowhere near as bad as it was when new. I actually barely feel it, if at all. I can't wait to wear the tires out and replace them. Heck, maybe I'll change them anyway this year.

I definitely feel your pain. Just drive the darn tires and wear them down. The vibration WILL go away over time.
While I’m not certain, I wonder if Falkens are more temperature sensitive than other tires.
I like them enough that I had them reinstalled when it was time for replacements.

When I bought my 2018, it was winter. I noticed vibration on and off for a while. As time went on, it went away. I just got back from a trip where the mornings were chilly and did a lot of early morning driving. I had a very slight vibration between 72-78 mph even after a tire balance and rotation.
As I got back to the warmer south, the vibration went away.

I think you’re correct, it is the tires… but I wonder if cooler temps contribute to the issue.

Fruit,

I think temps play a big role in the Falkens' behavior. It seems to me that the tires do not recover quickly from a flat spot. If the tires sit long enough especially in cold weather, it takes many miles for them to round back out. Having put over 15K miles on mine and worn the tires thinner, it doesn't happen anymore but man, what a big annoyance it was!

-N-

While I’m not certain, I wonder if Falkens are more temperature sensitive than other tires.
I like them enough that I had them reinstalled when it was time for replacements.

When I bought my 2018, it was winter. I noticed vibration on and off for a while. As time went on, it went away. I just got back from a trip where the mornings were chilly and did a lot of early morning driving. I had a very slight vibration between 72-78 mph even after a tire balance and rotation.
As I got back to the warmer south, the vibration went away.

I think you’re correct, it is the tires… but I wonder if cooler temps contribute to the issue.
I ended up taking my cx9 to a different dealership and they checked everything out. It came back it was the Tires! They are feathering. Once Mazda corporate got in touch with them to create a hot line ticket they decided to look more into everything. They found that the alignment TOE was off. So they said I would have to drive and listen to the noise until worn down. The vibration is still there didn’t help by aligning it.

My Falkens have always run smoothly. If you buy new tires look for a tire store that has a refund policy. Put the new tires on and give them a typical drive. If the vibration is still there, it isn't the Falken tires, and maybe return the new ones.

My Falkens have always run smoothly. If you buy new tires look for a tire store that has a refund policy. Put the new tires on and give them a typical drive. If the vibration is still there, it isn't the Falken tires, and maybe return the new ones.
I bought mine from the dealership! 😝 They had a buy 3 get one free sale. My usual tire store (Gateway Tire) didn’t carry Falkens but had something similar… the dealership price (even without the complimentary lifetime balance and rotation offered by Gateway) still saved me $250 over the long run! 👍🏻

If you don’t mind, is it warmer where you reside PT?

I ended up taking my cx9 to a different dealership and they checked everything out. It came back it was the Tires! They are feathering. Once Mazda corporate got in touch with them to create a hot line ticket they decided to look more into everything. They found that the alignment TOE was off. So they said I would have to drive and listen to the noise until worn down. The vibration is still there didn’t help by aligning it.
You drove three different CX9s, all of different model years, and on 5 different sets of tires, and all of them had unacceptable vibration?

You drove three different CX9s, all of different model years, and on 5 different sets of tires, and all of them had unacceptable vibration?
It wouldn't surprise me really sad I test drove a new cx9 to compare at the request of the service manager as he was convinced it was normal.

Makes sense.. I noticed a ridiculous amount of vibrations during the early morning drive after the car sat all night. The evening drive was better. Other thing I did was replaced the rest CV shafts which fixed 95% of the problem!

I drove a 2023 cx9 same tires - vibration, I drove a 2021 cx9 different tires- vibration and noise worse than mine,

Makes sense.. I noticed a ridiculous amount of vibrations during the early morning drive after the car sat all night. The evening drive was better. Other thing I did was replaced the rest CV shafts which fixed 95% of the problem!
I’ve tired to tell them the CV shaft needed replacing but they wouldn’t listen to me. They moved tires from front to back and say it’s the tires. They tell me now that the Mazda suv aren’t made for rock driveways. They are crazy!!! They blaming everyone instead of themselves.

I bought mine from the dealership! 😝 They had a buy 3 get one free sale. My usual tire store (Gateway Tire) didn’t carry Falkens but had something similar… the dealership price (even without the complimentary lifetime balance and rotation offered by Gateway) still saved me $250 over the long run! 👍🏻

If you don’t mind, is it warmer where you reside PT?
No we have winter which dropped down to zero this year. Our summer is pretty humid.

I drove a 2023 cx9 same tires - vibration, I drove a 2021 cx9 different tires- vibration and noise worse than mine,

I’ve tired to tell them the CV shaft needed replacing but they wouldn’t listen to me. They moved tires from front to back and say it’s the tires. They tell me now that the Mazda suv aren’t made for rock driveways. They are crazy!!! They blaming everyone instead of themselves.

No we have winter which dropped down to zero this year. Our summer is pretty humid.
Really, a rock driveway will cause these vibrations? 🤔
The service manager I dealt with asked questions and also tried playing the blame game.

I was able to 'convince him' by sending him a link to this forum where he read the experiences by a few others and decided to give it a try. I was also a deep thorn in his @$$ I'm sure so he did make it clear it's the last attempt etc as he didn't agree with the vibrations and tried convincing me it was normal. I was willing to sell the car that evening if he didn't agree and leave a scathing review on all platforms. In hindsight, I think he may have had some prior knowledge of this being an actual problem for customers, I can't see him agreeing otherwise. It could be something from factory perhaps.

I had two sets of tires (stock & winter) on two sets of rims, all from new. All were balanced using the Hunter road force balancing machine. I paid out of pocket to show him it's not the rims and tires on either set. When he had no more angles, he agreed to change the rear CVs.

Talk to them on a Friday before the weekend, you may have better luck.

All were balanced using the Hunter road force balancing machine.
The Hunter Road Force series of machines can do an ordinary balance or they can do the road force assessment, or both. Just a balance on a Road Force machine will be a good balance, but nothing more. The road force work examines the tire for soft or stiff sidewall areas (road force) as well as tire and wheel eccentricity. As we know, vibration from eccentricity or road force issues isn't balance.

Good luck, Fawiek. I hope your persistance pays off for you.

The Hunter Road Force series of machines can do an ordinary balance or they can do the road force assessment, or both. Just a balance on a Road Force machine will be a good balance, but nothing more. The road force work examines the tire for soft or stiff sidewall areas (road force) as well as tire and wheel eccentricity. As we know, vibration from eccentricity or road force issues isn't balance.

Good luck, Fawiek. I hope your persistance pays off for you.
For sure-- agreed!

They pressed it up to simulate the 'road' feel during the tests.

This was my resolution actually... Went through this a few years back, was just suggesting to the other member how to resolve his current problem. ☺️

Back