Shifter Rebuild Kit?

Tw1g007

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
My Pro5 should be getting back from the shop soon with my new trans in it. The shifter is sloppy, and has a lot of play in it (probably helped break the damn thing with a missed shift) and I'd like to rebuild it. I want to rebuild the whole thing. Unfortunately I can't find a kit with what I need, which is all basically all the parts except the shift lever haha. Does anybody know where to get a kit like that (maybe with the option to upgrade to Polyurethane bushings too)

Thanks!

Corksport makes brass bushings for the shift linkage. Poly bushings are available for the control rod as well.

http://corksport.com/corksport-bronze-oil-shifter-bushings.html

You can get the OEM plastic ones from Mazda too, but they aren't well regarded for durability or shift feel.

Isn't there more to the system than just the bushings? Like on the MX-5 there a rubber boot (that separates the shifter housing from the cabin), do we not have one in these? Forgive my ignorance, I haven't taken an in depth look at the shifter yet, just know it's too sloppy.

Thanks.

Also, would you more highly suggest the CorkSport brass bushings, or the Polyurethane bushings?

The poly bushings are for the control rod, that connects the shifter assembly to the engine/trans.

The bronze bushings are for shifter linkage, which is where play in the shifter usually developes.

I have the corksports. and as much as I love them, I'll be switching them out soon. They transfer alot of not-so-pleasant noises from the gearbox. I'm going to go with KIA part: KKY01-46062.

And if you do to, you'll need the nut and bolt. Which are MB00146133 - BOLT. K999400800 - NUT FLANGE.

These are supposedly stiffer than stock and definately alot cheaper than corksport. There's an old thread on them. Check it out.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll probably just order the poly bushings from TWM, and if there's still a lot of play, I'll look into the linkages. Thanks again!

The bronze bushings are for shifter linkage, which is where play in the shifter usually develops.

^^^What he said... You should start with the bushing at the bottom of the shifter.

My shifter was wobbling more than an inch each way so I rebuilt it. It made all the difference. I didn't touch the other bushings.
(I made my own bushings cuz I'm a cheap ass)

Back