Shifter Moves back and forth when I accelerate and deccelerate?

Timm88880

:
Mazda, Protege 5 2002
Recently ive noticed when I go to shift my 2002 mazda protege 5 into 3rd gear it likes to pop out sometimes, theres no grinding sound or anyhting it just tends to pop out. And when its in other gears such as second, the shift knob will move back (towards the rear of the car) when i give the car gas. This happens in all the gears and im not sure what this problem could be. Any suggestions?

Check your motor mounts, especially the front one. If they haven't been replaced yet they are probably shot. Front and two sides are pretty easy to do, rear is a PITA.

yea its motor mounts, replaced the front and sides and now the shifter doesnt move as much when accelerating but vibtates around at idle sometimes.

^Did you put stock, or stock replacement, ones in, or go with some hard after market ones. I have the hardest AWR front mount and it vibrates a fair bit at idle. Still totally worth it.

I wonder how much motor mounts will run me?

I'm guessing you just need the front and maybe the passenger-side mounts, you can get both from rockauto for ~$80. Those mounts are made by Beck/Arnley, they're not the greatest but they'll be much better than riding around with torn mounts.

If you don't want to spend much, just change the front one.

If you go Mazda replacement, the front is $45, the rear $90 and the side is a wopping $165. Trust me the front and rear ones make the biggest difference.
I've replaced all three in the last year. Good luck.

my 02 P5 used to pop out of third. i think it was a blown syncro, but my old roommate ended up grenading it when i was teaching him to drive standard (silly me) and he jammed it back into third when it jumped out without putting the clutch in. 2 months without my car, $800 dollars in parts, and the experience of rebuilding my first tranny was the over cost of that one

but yeah to only way to fix that is to tear down the tranny and likely its brass blocker ring on third gear thats worn. i'm guessing pretty costly at a shop.

Back