Poll Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 vs Idemitsu 5W-30

Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 vs Idemitsu 5W-30 What would be your choice?

• Shell Rotella 5W-30

• Idemitsu 5W-30

• Castrol

• Mobil 1

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mobil1, super cheap with rebates and meets required specs.

Which one would you choose?
For my 2.5L NA, I may keep using Mazda moly 0W-20 oil made by Idemitsu until it’s no longer available or getting too expensive. Then I’ll change to a newer GF-6 oil mainly for claimed much better timing chain wear protection.

I've been using Castrol GTX since I started driving and it's treated me great. No oil quality issues in any of my cars ever. Plus rotary engines burn oil as part of the combustion and GTX leaves no ash or carbon deposits.

Of the two in the poll though, I don't think it matters much because Idemitsu and Shell merged back in 2016. Believe it or not, Idemitsu bought out Shell, not the other way around.

I've been using Castrol GTX since I started driving and it's treated me great. No oil quality issues in any of my cars ever. Plus rotary engines burn oil as part of the combustion and GTX leaves no ash or carbon deposits.

Of the two in the poll though, I don't think it matters much because Idemitsu and Shell merged back in 2016. Believe it or not, Idemitsu bought out Shell, not the other way around.
Although it’s a conventional oil, Castrol GTX has been serving my vehicles very well too. I have been using Castrol GTX on my 1998 Honda CR-V and all previous VW’s. Now at ~185,000 miles I still use Castrol GTX 5W-30 on the CR-V and it burns at most 0.5 quart of oil between oil changes.

I was surprised to hear Idemitsu bought Shell, but must be only the small motor oil division of the Shell, can’t be the entire Shell Corporation.

Of the choices I voted for Castrol but I'm using OEM in both my CX and my MX.

I usually use Castrol or Pennzoil. Otherwise will be looking at GF-6 Idemitsu in the future as well.

I have also been using 5w30 instead of 0w20.

Back