Shave side markers

zerocover

:
00' Protege, lx
So I have a spare bumper lying around.
Im looking to fix it up a bit. NOw its made of urithane (its an OEM p5 bumper) Im looking to shave the sidemoldings. Can I Just use fiberglass? How about the bondo body filling mesh with some fg bondo?

Anyone do this before?

id say used fiberglass say no to bondo the sjhit will crack after so long if it dont crack during the winter

U can use fiberglass with urethan or abs plastic? the fiberglass will stick? sorry to hijack the thread but I'm curious.

zerocover said:
So I have a spare bumper lying around.
Im looking to fix it up a bit. NOw its made of urithane (its an OEM p5 bumper) Im looking to shave the sidemoldings. Can I Just use fiberglass? How about the bondo body filling mesh with some fg bondo?

Anyone do this before?

I've done it. I used fiberglass for the inside and easy sand bondo on the out side.

Attachments

• preetay 8 a.jpg
    preetay 8 a.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Wow you did a good job.
I wasthinking of taping up the outside then fiberglassing the inside.Then using bondo to smooth everything out. how long ago did you do it. Any concernes about it holding up?

Alternitivly I was plaing around with the idea of cutting some urithane strips to fit the holes and just epoxying them in.

zerocover said:
Wow you did a good job.
I wasthinking of taping up the outside then fiberglassing the inside.Then using bondo to smooth everything out. how long ago did you do it. Any concernes about it holding up?

Alternitivly I was plaing around with the idea of cutting some urithane strips to fit the holes and just epoxying them in.

What works for me is:
Cut the fiber glass into strips and lay them in to the inside of the bumper. Be sure that you push the fiber glass strip so it sits flush with the out side but be sure you dont push the fiber glass strip all the way through, just enough to sit flush. Just makes it easier to fill.

I did it about 2yrs ago.

I didn't know you could use fiberglass with abs plastic or urethane. I didn't know it would stick to it.

I did that before. Fiberglass backing with Bonbo. After a while though, you'll see where you filled it. You should try to get an MSP bumper :)

Good luck!

Back