Seeking CX-5 Rim and Tire Advice

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
Hi all, when my ‘21 cx5 gt needs new tires, I am definitely switching from toyos. I’m looking to switch to all terrain tires and I’m not sure whether I should keep my stock 19” rims (which I love the look of) or if I should get inexpensive 17” rims so the tire I get can have a thicker sidewalk and I’ve read that ride quality improves a lot lowering rim size. I do a mix of city and highway driving (including cross country twice a year), as well as a good amount of dirt roads out in Colorado.
Any advice or thoughts are appreciated, as this is my first car, thx! Also, I’m not at the point where I need new tires, it’s just coming up soon and I want to be prepared

Attachments

• 99087404-9682-4824-B841-2C498F7EFDBD.jpeg
    99087404-9682-4824-B841-2C498F7EFDBD.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 108
Since you have some time you can probably find some 17" OEM take-off alloys for not much money... likely less than what you'd pay for inexpensive aftermarket wheels of lower quality. If you opt for the aftermarket wheels just don't cheap out and get heavy ones. Spend a little more for a little less (weight.)

Since you have some time you can probably find some 17" OEM take-off alloys for not much money... likely less than what you'd pay for inexpensive aftermarket wheels of lower quality. If you opt for the aftermarket wheels just don't cheap out and get heavy ones. Spend a little more for a little less (weight.)
Gotcha, thanks. By take off alloys, you mean like the 17” rims that come with other cx5 trims, right?😅

Moving to 17 inch will increase comfort, acceleration and be better for offroad.

I have BBS 17 inch rims and just downsized to 16" Mazda tribute rims from junkyard that had powder coated

Currently running 16 inch rims with 235 70r16 Firestone Destination AT2 tires.

Firestone Destination AT2 is very good all round tire
For an all terrain, it is very quiet on highway, good mix for highway and light offroad. have performed well in emergency manuever's when forced offroad into ditch and excellent for light/medium offroad use.

Also look at Falken wildpeak AT trails for light offroad.

For more serious offroad the Falken wildpeak AT3W(these will be noiser on highway)

Also, many good aftermarket rims in 17 inch including BBS, black rhino, enkei and KMC bully, etc.

Or look in junkyard for 17 inch Mazda rims. Also certain Kia and Hyundai rims with same PCD and offset will fit.

Last edited:
Moving to 17 inch will increase comfort, acceleration and be better for offroad.

I have BBS 17 inch rims and just downsized to 16" Mazda tribute rims from junkyard that had powder coated

Currently running 16 inch rims with 235 70r16 Firestone Destination AT2 tires.

Firestone Destination AT2 is very good all round tire
For an all terrain, it is very quiet on highway, good mix for highway and light offroad. have performed well in emergency manuever's when forced offroad into ditch and excellent for light/medium offroad use.

Also look at Falken wildpeak AT trails for light offroad.

For more serious offroad the Falken wildpeak AT3W(these will be noiser on highway)

Also, many good aftermarket rims in 17 inch including BBS, black rhino, enkei and KMC bully, etc.

Or look in junkyard for 17 inch Mazda rims. Also certain Kia and Hyundai rims with same PCD and offset will fit.
Thanks so much! Seriously that info is super helpful, I appreciate it!!

I bought a set of new CX7 17" rims from my Mazda dealer several years ago right after the CX7 was discontinued, at a really good price as they wanted to clear them out. I was getting them for my new 17" winter tires at the time. Try to find a set of these in good condition as they really suit the CX5.

I’m running stock 17 inch wheels with Nitto Nomad Grapplers and have been very pleased with them. I do mostly city driving with some highway and dirt roads and they handle everything well.

I'm loving the 16 inch firestone destination AT2 more than the 17 inch. Great all around all terrain tire that's highway quiet and good on-road or offroad. And lightweight 16 inch rims accelerate faster, more power, and ride is very comfortable on the high sidewall.

I’m running stock 17 inch wheels with Nitto Nomad Grapplers and have been very pleased with them. I do mostly city driving with some highway and dirt roads and they handle everything well.
Whats your avg mpg on the nittos? I'm getting 24 to 25 mpg average on the destinations.

Back