Scratched shock shaft

Jond63

:
2012 Mazda 2 Touring Liquid Silver
I had a heck of a time getting the top nut off the shock shaft, and in the process I put a very small groove in near the bottom of the shock shaft. I used an inner tube, silicone hose, and a bicycle grip but somehow still managed to score it ever so slightly.

It's a smooth groove in the chrome about .25mm or so deep. Can't really feel it but can see it clearly -- no burrs or broken chrome and smooth to the touch. It will definitely go into the seal under compression.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new strut for peace of mind, or wait and see if it starts leaking? Nothing so far after driving around this weekend. Local Mazda parts guy said don't worry about it, but thought I'd ask you guys too.

I can get a new OE one online for $115 vs the $153 at the dealer -- and yes, I went and bought a pass-through wrench set and a T-allen so I won't do it again. 2nd side went much smoother.

Thanks,
--Jonathan

Yea, I had a tough time too. Best "tool" for my was the bike tube that I had folded up and set some vice-grips on. If you can't feel the scratch it shouldn't be a problem at all. And if it was significant...I'd just throw it on anyways and hope it lasted until corksport or koni, etc. came out with some adjustables.

I would see if anyone is selling stock parts they took off when installing coilovers.

-Derrick

So I take it you suggest I replace it Derrick?

I'm trying to find a used one, but not much out there it seems. Found a better price from a WA dealer, so I might just get one from them. I chalk it up to a learning experience to never do that again -- got away with it on my Miata but the locktite on these top nuts really did me in.

Love the H&R springs though -- car rides so nice now.

So I take it you suggest I replace it Derrick?

I'm trying to find a used one, but not much out there it seems. Found a better price from a WA dealer, so I might just get one from them. I chalk it up to a learning experience to never do that again -- got away with it on my Miata but the locktite on these top nuts really did me in.

Love the H&R springs though -- car rides so nice now.

Keep an eye on it, if you start to see some fluid leaking replace it.

I am glad you like the suspension setup.

-Derrick

Back