Scratched Grille Emblem

Someone scraped across the front of my 2018 CX-5. It took the paint off of the front edge of the top grille cover and scratched the emblem. Is there a way to remove the clear plastic emblem cover and replace it without removing the entire front bumper assembly?
Thanks in advance.

Looks that way. Top grille cover too:

f2780915fffdaa08112166783a15fa97.png

(From OEM Mazda Parts Online | RealMazdaParts.com )

Oh, sorry, I re-read your post and I see the operative part may be "without remove the bumper". In which case, I'd say probably not. However, I removed the bumper from our 2019 and, although tedious (lots of screws and clips) it wasn't difficult.

Follow the applicable steps in the attached:

Attachments

• KB7W-V4-600A Fog Lamp Installation.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
Thank you for the information. It was very helpful. I managed to buff out the scratches on the lens; however the scraped upper grille cover needs to be replaced. So the question now becomes, can you remove the upper grill cover without removing the entire bumper assembly?

Well, I guess I have to answer my own question. You CAN remove the upper grille cover WITHOUT removing the entire grill. It takes a little time and patience. I covered the new part with painter's tape to protect it during installation. Since I plan to save the old part, I covered it as well.

You need to remove all of the fasteners on the radiator support to loosen the grill assembly a little bit. It snaps out with a little tug. Once you drill out the upper cover rivets and remove the push pins on the top, there are two push pins; one on each side of the cover, in the front near the headlights. You can reach them if you pull the grill assembly out slightly. Once those last two clips are out the part is ready to be removed as follows:

The upper grill cover has clips molded into it on the bottom edge of the cover that click into the grill assembly. I located those clips using the new trim piece as a template. I inserted a small screwdriver to release the clips, moving from one side to the other, while pulling on the upper grille cover. Installation is the reverse of removal. Insert all of the pushpins and check the gap on the hood before installing new rivets to lock it in place. By the way, I bought the part online from a company called Revemoto. It came prepainted and the color match is excellent.

20220828_112027.jpg
20220828_120032.jpg
20220828_120035.jpg
20220828_120208.jpg

Thanks so much for this information! Mine just got damaged by a flying object and I need to replace mine. Sadly Revmoto doesn't do 46V (soul red) or I might have ordered the part even at that crazy $400 price tag as I'm sure the body shop will charge as much. I'm going to remove mine just to see how it's done so they don't try to stick me for removing the whole front end (which I've done before). I'm gonna replace those rivets with regular push in retention pins to see if that will work. I don't even know why they use rivets. I have all the top fasteners off and two underneath and this part is as secure as Fort Knox.

I just figured out where the ones on the end over the headlights are. You really have to pull up on the radiator shroud plastic piece to see it and shove a small flashlight down there. They are upside down so they are easier to push than to get the fastener removal tool onto to pull.

The ones on the underside are tricky. I cannot figure out how to wedge in a flat head and then push up on them while pulling the cover forward to unhook them. You can try using a screwdriver on the side of the angled part to get it to lift a little then put another flat head under it. But I haven't had success with this either. For the four inboard clips you really need to bend back that radiator shroud a lot just to see them. It would be easier to just take the whole front end off I think.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this information! Mine just got damaged by a flying object and I need to replace mine. Sadly Revmoto doesn't do 46V (soul red) or I might have ordered the part even at that crazy $400 price tag as I'm sure the body shop will charge as much. I'm going to remove mine just to see how it's done so they don't try to stick me for removing the whole front end (which I've done before). I'm gonna replace those rivets with regular push in retention pins to see if that will work. I don't even know why they use rivets. I have all the top fasteners off and two underneath and this part is as secure as Fort Knox.

I just figured out where the ones on the end over the headlights are. You really have to pull up on the radiator shroud plastic piece to see it and shove a small flashlight down there. They are upside down so they are easier to push than to get the fastener removal tool onto to pull.

The ones on the underside are tricky. I cannot figure out how to wedge in a flat head and then push up on them while pulling the cover forward to unhook them. You can try using a screwdriver on the side of the angled part to get it to lift a little then put another flat head under it. But I haven't had success with this either. For the four inboard clips you really need to bend back that radiator shroud a lot just to see them. It would be easier to just take the whole front end off I think.
The rivets hold the part securely so the gaps are kept even. You have to bend the radiator shroud back quite a bit, but I was able to push the center of the two recessed retaining pins in with a small screwdriver to loosen them, then used small needle nose pliers wrapped in painter's tape to pull them out. The clips on the underside were tricky, for sure, and required some patience. I used a small screwdriver wrapped in tape to push up on the clip, pushed the trim piece in slightly, then pulled out. It would be easier with an extra set of hands. I think it is still easier than removing the whole grille, which includes drilling out even more rivets, disconnecting the electrics and possibly scratching or otherwise damaging an incredibly expensive part. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back