Rust issue on inside of both front doors (2019 CX-5)

:
CX5 Siggy
Hey folks.

Last winter the drivers side door of my CX5 became very heavy and hard to open, especially when the temperatures got well below freezing.

Initially I just figured that the hinge would need fresh lubricant, although I have never lubed the doors on any vehicle in 30 years and have never experienced this issue.

When discussing this with a friend he mentioned the chance that the door took in water and perhaps there was/is no drainage. I did recall that for a small period the inside of the window got very streaky and needed to be cleaned, I have never had to do that before so maybe he was on to something. I went to take a look at the inside of both front doors and I discovered rust there, much to my surprise. I always loved how the way the doors are designed limited the about of debris and moisture that builds up, especially when compared to other cars.

Does anyone have this issue on their cars? Any tips on how I can identify a drainage point?

Attachments

• IMG_5701.JPG
    IMG_5701.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_5702.JPG
    IMG_5702.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 225
Usually there’re a couple of drain holes at the bottom edge of the door. Check to see if they’re clogged and any water accumulation inside of the door panel.

Wow! That looks like hell!!!

Gotta be the drain holes. Is your CX kept in a garage? I'm betting not.

No mention of the MY of your CX, still under warranty?

That door panel needs to be removed for inspection.

It’s a 2019, yeah I plan on getting it looked at. 5 year warranty is up in mid February.

100% outdoor parked unfortunately.

5 year warranty? You had better read that again. There's a 5 year powertrain warranty, that won't cover any rust. There's a 5 year rust through warranty, better read the fine print on that very closely.

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5 which I bought new and appear to have the same problem as you. I noticed that there is rust on all four inner door panels as shown in the picture.

I have brought this to two autobody shops, both who have indicated that this is a manufacturer defect and that the doors are not draining properly resulting in the rust. They also advised that even if rust if sanded and repainted, the problem is likely to occur again, unless the drainage issue is fixed.

Mazda has declined my claim since they said there is no perforation.

Have you or anyone else had this issue and found a solution for it or been able to get Mazda to cover it and take responsiblity for the poor manufacturing.

I plan on having it repaired but do not want it to occur again.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1581.jpg
    IMG_1581.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 66
There is a TSB for the rust on door panels, Mazda states different reason for it appearing though.

You can find the details here in this TSB:

TSB 09-009/21
Do you think the reason that they reported for the rust is accurate? They stated that it’s caused by sand and mud brought in by the people in the vehicle. In my opinion it seems like a fake excuse not actually addressing the real issue which is the poor door drainage. Just wondering if you think their proposed suggestion with adding the protective film will even fix the issue.

What makes you think its not addressed/fixed for newer CX5s?
For older ones the TSB is only option.

I would treat this with rust inhibitor and implement the TSB if I were you. Also make sure when you wash the car to always wipe that area. At least thats what I do regularly and no issues whatsoever on my 2018.

What makes you think its not addressed/fixed for newer CX5s?
For older ones the TSB is only option.

I would treat this with rust inhibitor and implement the TSB if I were you. Also make sure when you wash the car to always wipe that area. At least thats what I do regularly and no issues whatsoever on my 2018.
Here's a reminder to myself to make that part of my process. I pressure wash and water gets into places.

Do you think the reason that they reported for the rust is accurate? They stated that it’s caused by sand and mud brought in by the people in the vehicle. In my opinion it seems like a fake excuse not actually addressing the real issue which is the poor door drainage. Just wondering if you think their proposed suggestion with adding the protective film will even fix the issue.
Is that surface rust, or is it rusting from the inside out?

Yes, this TSB:

TSB No.: 09-009/21 Rusty Panel at Bottom (Inner Side) of Doors

from Mazda is the most ridiculous one I’ve ever seen:

DESCRIPTION
Some customers may complain about rust at the bottom (inner side) of the doors where the seaming welt is located. It is caused by mud/sand adhering to the side sill, which scratches the paint surface when the door is opened/closed. The mud/sand is most likely brought in by the driver and/or passenger when stepping in and out of the vehicle.

If the rust really caused by mud / sand on the sill and scratches the paint on the door bottom, it should happens in every Mazda vehicles. How come it’s happens only on 2017-2021 CX-5 and 2016-2021 CX-9?

There is no perforation so not getting covered by Mazda. The autobody shops have advised that rust is likely starting from inside the door panel since the water is staying there.
You should check if 2 drain holes at the door bottom are clogged or not. Pour some water on window glass and trim and verify.

Man, I'm actually surprised Mazda would address this. The OP photos made me notice the dirty and scratched condition of the bottom of the door shell. Thankfully, cleaning this area on the door and the rocker panel/jamb has been instilled in me from an early age. Also have noticed at the carwash in the cold months, that nobody else seems to be wiping these areas down. When dirt and crud and salt accumulate, the weatherstripping loses its effectiveness in sealing out water and splashing. This would happen on any car. Kudos to Mazda for even coming up with film, but really the tsb should tell dealers to show people how to properly clean their car including lower door shell and rockers and D rings (door opening areas). Keep it clean and the weatherstrip will do its job.

⋯ The OP photos made me notice the dirty and scratched condition of the bottom of the door shell.
Really? How come I can’t see any paint scratches (and the scratch lines should be 90° with rust lines) on the door bottom where the rust is developed? And how come the rust happens only on 2017-2021 CX-5 and 2016-2021 CX-9, not on other model years or other cars which will have the same problem with mud/sand adhering to the side sill?

Also have noticed at the carwash in the cold months, that nobody else seems to be wiping these areas down. When dirt and crud and salt accumulate, the weatherstripping loses its effectiveness in sealing out water and splashing.
Like you said, most car owners don’t wash that area including me, how come most people including me don’t have such rush problem on the bottom door panels?

This would happen on any car.
No, not really ⋯

Kudos to Mazda for even coming up with film, but really the tsb should tell dealers to show people how to properly clean their car including lower door shell and rockers and D rings (door opening areas). Keep it clean and the weatherstrip will do its job.
Yes Mazda should come up a TSB to address this problem on 2017-2021 CX-5 and 2016-2021 CX-9. Unfortunately it’s too late for those CX-5 and CX-9 owners as they have to pay for the repair caused by bad design or bad anti-rust process by Mazda.

Man, I'm actually surprised Mazda would address this. The OP photos made me notice the dirty and scratched condition of the bottom of the door shell. Thankfully, cleaning this area on the door and the rocker panel/jamb has been instilled in me from an early age. Also have noticed at the carwash in the cold months, that nobody else seems to be wiping these areas down. When dirt and crud and salt accumulate, the weatherstripping loses its effectiveness in sealing out water and splashing. This would happen on any car. Kudos to Mazda for even coming up with film, but really the tsb should tell dealers to show people how to properly clean their car including lower door shell and rockers and D rings (door opening areas). Keep it clean and the weatherstrip will do its job.

Have the dealers shown people how to properly clean their cars? That right there is funny!

They can't/won't even show folks how to properly check their own fluids and you want them to show people how to clean their cars?

Last edited:
Have the dealers show people how to properly clean their cars? That right there is funny!

They can't/won't even show folks how to properly check their own fluids and you want them to show people how to clean their cars?
I know right.
Just like these campers now that are wildly popular. They sell them without warning people that they are all using generic imported tires that are good for a year before they blow up and cause a loss of control situation. That and the caulking is only good for a few years before campers start leaking and mold forms inside the vehicle during winter storage, if you don't put a cover on it or store it inside a building. All they care about is making the sale.

I know right.
Just like these campers now that are wildly popular. They sell them without warning people that they are all using generic imported tires that are good for a year before they blow up and cause a loss of control situation. That and the caulking is only good for a few years before campers start leaking and mold forms inside the vehicle during winter storage, if you don't put a cover on it or store it inside a building. All they care about is making the sale.

I've been a camper for MANY years. From tents, to a pop-up, to a 5th wheel, and then a motor home.

Don't even get me started on this industry! These guys are the worst of the lot, and they do whatever they can to make things as cheaply as possible. They don't care about their products lasting very long at all. They get your money and then they want you the hell out of their store! Don't come back either till you're ready to buy a new camper!!!

Another bunch of crooks if you ask me.

Back