Rough estimate on a lift gate repair? 2010 CX-9

Odd. The ones I have now worked fine for the past two years with no power liftgate so they were almost a manual one themselves.
But you have a power gate.

I am a parts guy (been so for 30+ years), so to find no listing for the power gate and having to go to Mazda was a tough pill to swallow. I was on medical leave at the time and didn't have the resources to investigate. Wouldn't be surprised if they are the same, as a power or non-power gate plays no role with the struts.

Do you know what part number yours is?
TGS_002.jpg

Found an old note....

Tailgate Gas Strut w/ easy close
left: TD12-63-620E
right: TD12-62-620E

Tailgate Gas Strut w/o easy close
left: TD11-63-620E
right: TD11-62-620E

Now I really want to know what the difference is.

Any struts will do.

I've used Hiflyer(on Amazon) Strongarm(from rockauto) and Stabilus. They all work equally well. Just get something and get it on there. Have your wife hold the trunk while you change them. Or use a long 2x4 wedged. Safer to have someone hold it.
It was pointed out that most of the struts sold say "Without power lift gate"

Do they make different kinds depending on the model?

It was pointed out that most of the struts sold say "Without power lift gate"

Do they make different kinds depending on the model?
I've used struts on Ford's and Nissans and always got what it called for. I should add I was able to get power struts(and regular struts) for them fairly cheap compared to having to buy at dealer, as Bronco indicated is the only place to get them for Mazdas. This is my first Mazda.
It looks like the struts may be hardwired and powered.

If they are not then there could be no difference or most likely it could be a length difference. Maybe the struts for power gate are slightly shorter??? Check lengths and check pressure on the spec charts.

Also, make sure to see if powered liftgate struts are powered or just gas-operated.

EDIT:

Looks like powers struts communicate with the actuator and motor, possibly for safety reasons. So if you cut the wires and try to use manual struts, then they may not work unless you reset the battery.

I'd see what prices are for powered on internet Mazda sellers or check junkyard for newer model struts otherwise just leave alone.

Wow. Liftgate power struts for the Mazda run $1000 each or $2000 pair. Unbelievable. F.i. I was able to replace the Nissan power struts for $200. Really getting frustrated with some Mazda engine defects and parts pricing.

At $30 to replace manual struts no brainier. At $200 to replace power struts, yes. But $2000 to replace Mazda struts???

Guess I won't be replacing my 2018 struts when needed.

Last edited:
Okay I replaced them with the new ones. Popped right on. Door closes nicely and starts to open nicely. What happens now is that when the gate gets almost to the top suddenly it stops moving smoothly, springs up a few inches, bounces, then stops.

Is like the strut fully extended loses grip and allows the gate to shoot up. Any ideas?

After following this thread I took the advice of the folks here and swapped out my struts since the power lift disguises potential issues in that you never feel the lift gate travel yourself. I took a chance and purchased these:

I notice that the gate opens more fully now; so I suspect that mine were worn and putting unnecessary stress on the lift mechanism.

After following this thread I took the advice of the folks here and swapped out my struts since the power lift disguises potential issues in that you never feel the lift gate travel yourself. I took a chance and purchased these:

I notice that the gate opens more fully now; so I suspect that mine were worn and putting unnecessary stress on the lift mechanism.
You got those with the power liftgate?

Does the gate shoot up now? The ones I got are so powerful it's like the liftgate is going to fly off the car!

Back