Room for biggish dog in Cargo area? (Seats up)

Rilem

:
CX-5
Considering buying a CX-5 and am wondering if the cargo area is sufficient (with the seats up) for a 70-lb dog to sit comfortably.

I'd initially assumed it wouldn't be a problem the only reason I started looking at SUVs was so the dog would have room. But reviews like this one have given me pause:

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-mazda-cx-5-will-the-golden-retriever-fit.html

He's just a puppy now or I'd take him to the dealership to test it out, but he'll get big eventually -- not sure how big but could be low-70s and 25 inches at shoulder. I don't have a problem with him sitting in the rear seats (or folding them down) but there will be plenty of times when we need to have four people plus the dog.

Right now the Mazda is up against a Hyundai Santa Fe sport -- Mazda is less expensive and certainly drives better, but I think I may need the extra space for the dog.

Anyone with big dogs have any insight? Can you keep them in the rear cargo area or do you need to fold down seats?

My 100 lb. St. Bernard sits in the cargo area just fine. She seems very comfortable back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the back seats UP and WITHOUT the OEM shade cover, a large 70LB-100LB dog will fit in the back. If you want to crate the dog, then the back seats must be DOWN to fit the carrier. With the back seat down, two dogs can easily fit back there.

Remember, the CX5 is a CUV (Compact Utility Vehicle). So if you want TONS of back room I would recommend getting a full sized SUV like a full-sized Expedition or Tahoe. The downside of the latter is less MPG and a higher price tag for the vehicle.

My 95lb lab shares the back seat with a car seat. Plenty of room for a dog.

The cx5 is the smallest vehicle in its class. Both the RAV4 and crv have more room.

One thing to think about with 4 people and the dog in the back, you will loose space in the cargo area for any luggage/people stuff.

On the plus side, the 20/40/60 split rear seat backs give you options for various dog & people space.

Also, the cx5 sits higher from the ground via the rear entry than the rav4, crv & forester (don't know about the hyundai) so harder for the dog to jump in/out of. Good luck!

I pulled up behind a Honda Fit this morning with a large dog sitting happily behind the second row seat. We often thing a dog requires more room than they actually do in these situations. In fact, they often prefer a small, enclosed space (like a carrier) as it makes them feel more hidden/secure.

I pulled up behind a Honda Fit this morning with a large dog sitting happily behind the second row seat. We often thing a dog requires more room than they actually do in these situations. In fact, they often prefer a small, enclosed space (like a carrier) as it makes them feel more hidden/secure.

Exactly. Dogs like the den like feeling a crate offers. It makes them feel secure since it goes back to the den instinct. Crates are also the SAFEST place to put a dog while in a car. Having them wondering around the back or front seats is distracting and dangerous. In an accident a loose dog is like a loose human being, the odds of serious injury or death increases.

Dogs don't understand seatbelts and car accidents. If you love your dog, do it a favor and put it into a crate or harness. Don't let it wonder around the interior. Would you do that with a 4 year old child? Let them wander around just because they want to?

I have a Siberian husky, and she is 46lbs(a tall husky). She likes being in the cargo area and sticking her head by the window. I use to let her sit in the front of my over vehicles, but it is a nightmare to vacuum the hair. I recommend the factory all weather cargo tray. It does a good job at picking up dirt, debris, and liquids.

Just FYI there are aftermarket options for cargo area barriers for the CX-5, both in partial (backseats upwards) and full models. I think there's even an OEM Mazda one offered in AUS. Just in case you want Fluffy to not be able to get into the passenger areas. :)

Our 50lb lab goes in the back with out an issue. I got the soft cargo cover with the fold out flap which I pull out when she jumps in so she doesn't scratch the rear bumper up with her nails. I also really like that the soft cargo liner goes all the way up the rear seats so hair doesn't get stuck in the carpet on the back of the seats. I quick vacuum of the rear hatch and wipe down with a damp sponge and its clean as new back there. I don't think you'd have a problem with a 70-80lbs dog back there.

Our 85lb retriever/bernese fits in the back no problem. We've even had him back there with a couple soft duffle bags beside him when driving with four people and he has enough room.
He was crate trained as a puppy so he doesn't mind smaller spaces.

I have a 146 pound mixed Rhodesian Ridgeback and she doesn't fit at all, have to put the seats down.

We fit two 50lb Keeshonden in the back, they don't seem to mind. My primary concern is airflow since there are no rear vents in the CX-5.

We fit two 50lb Keeshonden in the back, they don't seem to mind. My primary concern is airflow since there are no rear vents in the CX-5.
There is always through-car ventilation built into vehicles sold in the US. Check the grills built into the interior panels just to the left and right of the rear hatch. Those are there to expel interior air through the rear bodywork.

As others have said, you shouldn't have any issue. I also agree with comments above that the the dogs do not need as much space as we think they do. I have an 80 lb dog and he is usually in the foot well of the passenger seat, which is smaller than the back by far. He is also a Guide Dog puppy in training, so that is where he is supposed to ride, but he does not mind at all even when I have a passenger there. He also fits in the back seat on the floor too, though adjusting the seat forward does help in that case.

Back