Roads to Drive on Before you Die

jri4

Contributor
:
Mazdaspeed3
Where I am at in this stage of my life (along with everything leading up to this stage) really prohibits me from taking long road trips. These trips have been a dream of mine since I was 16- but family, school, work, and relationships have always prevented me from living the dream. However, I have a year left of school, am more mature and able to handle things on my own, have a fantastically fun car, and some money to make it all possible sooner rather than later. That being said, I would like to know of some roads and sights that everyone should experience once in their life. I would like to start a list: keep in mind I would like a somewhat detailed stretch of road (i.e. Route 66 from mile 10 to 33) that is neither too long nor too short (I don't want to be on the actual road for 8 hours, more like 2 or less). Please try and keep the thread on topic--or if this is just a dumb idea then just lock it up! I hope to take your ideas, compile a list of the top so-many and complete these trips over the next 5 years!

1. Deal's Gap / Tail of the Dragon
2. Hawk's Nest-Route 97 in Port Jervis, NY
3. US Hwy 1-Connecticut/New Jersey COMPLETE
4. El Camino Real / US Hwy 101-California, Washington, Oregon
5. The Million Dollar Highway / Route 66 Complete
6. Pacific Coast Highway / State Rt. 1-California
7. Cherohala Skyway / Blue Ridge Parkway-Virginia COMPLETE
8. Skyline Drive-Virginia COMPLETE

Last edited:
Closest one to me:

Hawk's Nest, NY
Route 97 in Port Jervis, NY

It's only a short stretch of road (less than a mile), but it's beautiful:

img_359899.jpg

Hawks'_Nest.jpg

whoop- looking for Continental US- thanks!

Tat stretch is beautiful and possibly only a day trip away! Thanks, I'll update the first post!

Last edited:
I see you have Deals Gap/Dragon but you don't have Cherahola Skyway or Blue Ridge Parkway which are two roads fairly close to the Gap that should be driven on as well. They are awe inspiring. I've taken drips down and driven on them (with my car and motorcycle) every year for the past 5 years. Going down again this year in June for Epic East Coast Mazda Meet which will be just north in Gattlinburg but I will still be going down there to drive on.

I would also add Mulholland Drive and Pacific Coast Highway that runs down the coast of Cali. I was recently out in LA for business and drove on those two roads and they are awe inspiring as well.

I see you have Deals Gap/Dragon but you don't have Cherahola Skyway or Blue Ridge Parkway which are two roads fairly close to the Gap that should be driven on as well. They are awe inspiring. I've taken drips down and driven on them (with my car and motorcycle) every year for the past 5 years. Going down again this year in June for Epic East Coast Mazda Meet which will be just north in Gattlinburg but I will still be going down there to drive on.

I would also add Mulholland Drive and Pacific Coast Highway that runs down the coast of Cali. I was recently out in LA for business and drove on those two roads and they are awe inspiring as well.

+1 for Pacific Coast Highway....just beautiful!

I had a brand new Mazda 6 for my rental.. Too bad it was spring break and I got stuck in Malibu for like 2 hours..

Over Memorial Day weekend we are taking a road trip down the 101 from Portland to SanFran. Looking forward to the drive more then the destination I think. Either way should be a great trip on a beautiful road. I'll let you know how it goes, it's always a trip I wanted to take.

I will add the Pacific Coast Highway to my list of considerations--I sort of assumed it was part of the whole highway 101 trip since they are sort of close..... Some of these roads I will be able to knock out in one trip, ya know?

Gotta run to class but I will update the list with your suggestions---as for the offroading adventures, I don't think my MS3 is gonna make it over those rocks, but I would love to rent a jeep...I rented a jeep in Michingan Sand dunes once--AWESOME

Thanks everyone

after the track miata, a jeep will be my next ride 4x4 with a plow to survive ohio winters...anyways....

Transfagarasan (Romania):

transfagarasan-romania-top-gear.jpg

Stelvio Pass (Italy/Switzerland)

tg-stelvio-pass-north-ramp.jpg

San Bernardino Pass (Swiss Alps)

33954_1251893680055e13dde4411c0c05a79ae61045837e65f.jpg

Col De Turini (France)

tg-col-de-turini-road.jpg

And of Course, the Nurburgring-Nordschleife:

nurburgring-nordschleife-map.jpg

ooooooooo (my o face) stelvio pass in italy just became my new dream.....

I may be doing my student teaching in Italy next Spring, which could make this dream come true!

Anyways, I'm stil searching for other popular / famous US roads to add to the list-it'll get updated eventually....

Until then, anyone know of historic-famous-scenic-fun to drive roads between NE Ohio and Chesapeake Bay in VA? I'm making that trip in two weeks with my family to see my girlfriend's mom and would be willing to go out of the way just a little bit to hit a nice stretch of road!

Until then, anyone know of historic-famous-scenic-fun to drive roads between NE Ohio and Chesapeake Bay in VA? I'm making that trip in two weeks with my family to see my girlfriend's mom and would be willing to go out of the way just a little bit to hit a nice stretch of road!

I go to VA often, but up around DC, and I70/76 is actually pretty fun to drive when you are going through the mountains. It is easy to get carried away with speed though since it is 3 lanes. I'm not sure where the fun part is or if you would be on it to go to Chesapeake Bay though.

If you have time another way to make a drive more interesting is to tell your GPS to avoid toll roads. The scenery is usually much better, plus you save money on tolls. And it is usually not that much slower. From NE Ohio to DC it adds less than an hour and I save over $10.

I go to VA often, but up around DC, and I70/76 is actually pretty fun to drive when you are going through the mountains. It is easy to get carried away with speed though since it is 3 lanes. I'm not sure where the fun part is or if you would be on it to go to Chesapeake Bay though.

If you have time another way to make a drive more interesting is to tell your GPS to avoid toll roads. The scenery is usually much better, plus you save money on tolls. And it is usually not that much slower. From NE Ohio to DC it adds less than an hour and I save over $10.

more like closer to $20 lol... tolls rape

Very nice idea, lot's of hints here. Very nice pic of Stelvio Pass you found Bigdaddy.

Here is my completed list (that I can think of right now):
  • Lrdalstunnellen (World longest underwater tunnel) Norway
  • Trollstigen (The Troll Ladder) Norway
  • Nordsjveien (The North see road) Norway
  • Der Romantishce Strasse (The romantic Road) Germany
  • US 101 from the top all the way down to Los Angeles
  • US-1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Partially Completed:
  • Kystriksvegen (The coastal road, the Pacific higway is beautiful, but fades in comparison to this one IMO) Norway (it might be a good idea to bring sleeping pills with you if you go in the summer because you will encounter 21-24 hours of sunlight per day there)

In other words - I have some driving to do. - But I might take a Europe trip this summer with my Smart Roadster or MSP, anyone care to join me, let me know.

Back