Reviews Monday for 2017s?

Resale is NOT better on the CRV. According to Consumer Reports and my own lazy "research". One thing that hurts CRV resale is one of the things it has going for it: they are everywhere. Don't like the price on that used CRV? There's 10 more right down the street.

Let's not all overlook:
Top of the line CR-V: $37K
Top of the line CX-5: $32K

The CRV doesn't have heated seats? Is that true? I can't believe that's true....

Not sure where your "top of the line" numbers are coming from but let's keep it real guys.
Per my own real world data as far as resale...
2007 EX-L nav paid 26.2 before tax- 6 years and 102k miles later i got 11.3 against my 2014 cx5 that was discounted 2150 off msrp (so not like i got roses on one side and manure on the other)
Crv was fair condition in need of a fender.
2014 cx5 awd gt tech i paid 29,6 b4 tax-> 3.5 years 66k miles vg cond...13k was the offer. That was one place and I'm sure I can get that up to maybe 14, maybe some change but per my experience in terms of trade in value retention the crv pretty much sets the bar in the cheap toaster class. Yrmv obvously, and I'm not going back but the Honda is the better option for penny pinchers- probably not a 37k one but just trying to keep things honest.

Last edited:
2014 cx5 awd gt tech i paid 29,6 b4 tax-> 3.5 years 66k miles vg cond...13k was the offer.

^^If this is the case....... I'm going to be stalking folks to sell me their 2017/2018 GT AWD models at 3.5 years old for 15-16k.

Not sure where your "top of the line" numbers are coming from but let's keep it real guys.
2007 EX-L nav paid 26.2 before tax- 6 years and 102k miles later i got 11.3 against my 2014 cx5 that was discounted 2150 off msrp (so not like i got roses on one side and manure on the other)
2014 cx5 awd gt tech i paid 29,6 b4 tax-> 3.5 years 66k miles vg cond...13k was the offer. That was one place and I'm sure I can get that up to maybe 14, maybe some change but per my experience in terms of trade in value retention the crv pretty much sets the bar in the cheap toaster class. Yrmv obvously, and I'm not going back but the Honda is the better option for penny pinchers- probably not a 37k one but just trying to keep things honest.

Agreed. Bought a new civic SI and drove it for almost 4 years and sold it for $3k less than I paid for it. Cars keep their value, people want them, and they're known to be reliable for the price.

The 13k was NOT at the same mazda dealer or the same state nj vs ny but so far its not looking that great...overall still love the vehicle and will still likely replace cx5 with another cx5...so I'm not trying to ruffle feathers for the sake of argument, just giving some real world data that seems to show crv on top in this metric..its one data point and values vary over time, different generations but probably not that much.

If we bought cars based on resale value we should all buy Jeep Wranglers.

If we bought cars based on resale value we should all buy Jeep Wranglers.

If one can up his/her DIY skills and acquire knowledge of certain make/models, one can really take advantage of the used car market. Thanks to this forum I'm feeling really confident in purchasing a used Mazda in a couple years and knowing exactly what I need to do to "over maintain" it.

but per my experience in terms of trade in value retention the crv pretty much sets the bar in the cheap toaster class. Yrmv obvously, and I'm not going back but the Honda is the better option for penny pinchers- probably not a 37k one but just trying to keep things honest.
Agreed! After failed attempt persuading him buying a CX-5, a friend of ours paid $30,000 for a "top-of-line" 2017 Honda CR-V Touring FWD before TT&L. There're still people asking me to sell our 1998 Honda CR-V with 177,292 miles. The trade-in value is higher on CR-V is because the dealer knows they can re-sell it fast with good price. Many people looking for used cars are locked in only at Toyota's and Honda's.

Agreed! After failed attempt persuading him buying a CX-5, a friend of ours paid $30,000 for a "top-of-line" 2017 Honda CR-V Touring FWD before TT&L. There're still people asking me to sell our 1998 Honda CR-V with 177,292 miles. The trade-in value is higher on CR-V is because the dealer knows they can re-sell it fast with good price. Many people looking for used cars are locked in only at Toyota's and Honda's.

That is true. Sometimes I peruse r/whatcarshouldibuy for kicks and they almost always say Hondas. LOL

Thank you for this post. Yes Honda undeniably has better resell value than Mazda, just based on brand perception alone. That's not to say that Mazda's are somehow 'less reliable', but Honda(and Toyota) have a long history of making reliable cars so they will tend to have a higher resale based on that alone.

Also the 'top of the line' numbers 7eregrine posted are incorrect. The top of the line trims for both the CRV and CX-5 are nearly equal, but I guess he decided to add another 5k to the CRV 'just for the hell of it'. For the record I paid 34k OTD including taxes for my Touring CRV. Also his argument for what hurts the CRV resell value is that they are 'everywhere'. WHAT? The cars with the best resale values are the ones you see out on the roads the most(like CRV/Camry/Accord/Lexus). I think you have it backward bro, meaning the cars you see less of on the road(MB/BMW/Audi, etc...) are the ones that have lower resell.

The top of the line FWD CR-V might be 34K. I was comparing Apples and Apples: AWD + 19inch tires. And I was also going by your post that said that was the price point you were at. When I priced that it was $36,700.

HONDA itself may have better resale value but the CRV does not. I don't just make stuff up. I've looked into this. Consumer Reports also agrees with me Just did it again, too. Maybe it's a CLEVELAND thing?
Just went on Autotrader again and found 2 similiar cars.
2015 AWD Touring CR-V: $27K
2015 AWD GT: $25K
Both had just under 15K miles.

As for my argument about CR-V being everywhere and therefore cheaper, how do you not understand that? Dealer A has 10 CR-V's, Dealer B has 10, Dealer C has 20... You can just pop between them until you get that sweetheart deal.
Now if Dealer A has 1 Audi S4, Dealer 2 has none, and dealer 3 has 2... you don't get how that price might be just a big less flexible?

Last edited:
Thank you for this post. Yes Honda undeniably has better resell value than Mazda, just based on brand perception alone. That's not to say that Mazda's are somehow 'less reliable', but Honda(and Toyota) have a long history of making reliable cars so they will tend to have a higher resale based on that alone.

Also the 'top of the line' numbers 7eregrine posted are incorrect. The top of the line trims for both the CRV and CX-5 are nearly equal, but I guess he decided to add another 5k to the CRV 'just for the hell of it'. For the record I paid 34k OTD including taxes for my Touring CRV. Also his argument for what hurts the CRV resell value is that they are 'everywhere'. WHAT? The cars with the best resale values are the ones you see out on the roads the most(like CRV/Camry/Accord/Lexus). I think you have it backward bro, meaning the cars you see less of on the road(MB/BMW/Audi, etc...) are the ones that have lower resell.

That's not what your post on the Honda forum pricing thread says....

Just sayin'.

Either way you look at it, though. You want to compare top of the line FWD, OK: It's STILL almost 5 grand more: over $34K for the CRV, under $30 for the CX5.

Either way you look at it, though. You want to compare top of the line FWD, OK: It's STILL almost 5 grand more: over $34K for the CRV, under $30 for the CX5.

Hell compare CR-V Touring AWD to CX-5 GT AWD and it's literally $34k vs $30k

Don't forget to add thos $2.3k wheels on the Honda (rlaugh)

Edit: Also I seem to recall plenty of pricing on the Honda forum approaching 37k.

Last edited:
We just secured our 3rd CX-5. We kinda like them and our dealer.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Woot! Time to update your signature then ;)

I have to wait for it to get shipped now....transatlantic transport prices sure have gone up! [emoji35] 5-7 weeks [emoji12]

Tax exemption since it isn't getting titled and is shipping directly to me! Woot woot!

I have to wait for it to get shipped now....transatlantic transport prices sure have gone up! [emoji35] 5-7 weeks [emoji12]

Tax exemption since it isn't getting titled and is shipping directly to me! Woot woot!

Nice on the tax exemption!

Just curious how much that costs for transport?

I once leased a 2011 Accord and had the option to purchase it out right. Excellent resale value and had dealers mailing offers to buy it. Just too boring for me. The later models were significantly better even with the CVT. If I didn't have a kid I'd probably purchase the Accord Sport Manual.

I once leased a 2011 Accord and had the option to purchase it out right. Excellent resale value and had dealers mailing offers to buy it. Just too boring for me. The later models were significantly better even with the CVT. If I didn't have a kid I'd probably purchase the Accord Sport Manual.
Yea, that "dealers mailing me to buy it" is just a scam. Not discounting your point at all, but, yea, they do that just to get you in a new loan.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back