Off Topic Retro Gaming

(u_u) ...zZzZzzz
Anyone intro retro gaming? Here I go showing my age again but I find myself often times playing old nes, snes, and arcade games. Wanted to see if anyone else shares the same interest on here. Unfortunately I don't have room for an actual arcade machine else I'd source an old cabinet, restore it, and make it play all the games. Just to name a few faves off top of my head:

mario 1, 2, 3
battletoads
super mario kart
super mario world
gradius 1, 2, 3
street fighter 2 turbo
street fighter alpha 2
xmen vs street fighter
marvel vs street fighter
marvel vs capcom 2
ms pacman

tenor.gif

Are there nerds on a Mazda forum? Yes, there are nerds on the forum.

It's very easy to get all the roms and emulators freely online.

I like the Streets of Rage series and the new one is pretty good.

There's plenty of nerds on here lol. Yeah I'm familiar with the roms. Never really got into super smash brothers as odd as it sounds.

There's plenty of nerds on here lol. Yeah I'm familiar with the roms. Never really got into super smash brothers as odd as it sounds.

Smash TV and Super Smash TV were top down shoot-em-up type games. Super weird but I played them a lot as a kid. Good times!

I played a lot of NES and SNES as a kid. Lots of those games are still just as fun and just as challenging as some of the current games on recent consoles. On top of the NES, SNES and PSOne emulators I have on my laptop, I have one of those SNES Classic machines that's been modded to add more games. A few days ago I actually sat down and spent a couple of hours finishing MegaMan X.

Some of my favourites (I'm big on RPGs lol):

NES: Final Fantasy 1, SMB (1, 2 and 3), Legend of Zelda, Mega Man series, Punch Out, Contra, River City Ransom, Double Dragon series, Double Dragon and Battletoads series, Star Tropics, Ninja Gaiden series.

SNES: Chrono Trigger (G.O.A.T.), Final Fantasy 2, 3 and V (FF 5 in Japan), Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Earthbound, Terranigma, Super Mario RPG, Illusions of Gaia, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Lufia 1 and 2, Super Metroid, MegaMan X, Street Fighter series, Dr. Mario, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Contra 3, Kirby Super Star, TMNT: Turtles in Time, Donkey Kong series, Super Punch Out, R-Type 3, Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Ah MegaMan X! Also another fave. Not sure why it didn't pop up in my head earlier.

So I beat MegaManX (forgot how much I loved the soundtrack!), and decided to start Zelda: A Link To The Past. I finished Zelda a couple of days ago, so yesterday I started Secret of Mana.

I love how far gaming has come since the SNES had its glory days, but there's something about these older games that always keep me coming back.

Yeah megaman has awesome music. Last week I played through The Simpsons and TMNT the arcade games. Mindless button mashing.

How could I forget this game.. if you played this in the arcades, you might be interested in this documentary (keep in mind that its 1:45 long).

Yeah I never got into killer instinct for some reason. Most of my friends did though.

I just downloaded a Tetris game to my phone.

I went with the black and white version just like the original version on the GameBoy that I played 28 years ago. Lol

I turn the sound off too, and just play the game.

Screenshot_20210113-170114_Classic Blocks.jpg

I didn't have any of the old consoles growing up, but I am a big fan of playing some arcade games at a arcade/bar here (sadly have not been since March). Pinball, Frogger, Tapper, Pac Man, Galaga, The Simpsons, Mario, Donkey Kong, some more I am sure I am forgetting. Used to go at least twice a week.

EDIT: For a while they had some really old school pinball machines and I had a lot of fun with those.

Last edited:
I bought an Atari game system in 1981 for $380 at the time.
It came with one game.
Tanks.
I ended up with about 40 games costing up to $40 each. (80's money)

I was the envy of the neighborhood.

atari-2600-game-system_0.png

It was way cool. Lol

Not really retro but I've been playing Mario 35 lately. It's a reboot of a retro game! lol

Back