retard with boost...

You forget I have the boost retard turned up to the max. Maybe I should turn it down a little. Yeah, it did run like s*** in the 100+ temps that day at the track. That and the exahust cam would probably put me in the club.

LinuxRacr said:
You forget I have the boost retard turned up to the max. Maybe I should turn it down a little. Yeah, it did run like s*** in the 100+ temps that day at the track. That and the exahust cam would probably put me in the club.

patrick, you should get a e6k. if your tuned right you wont need retard control. i was thinking about buying a j&s but the more i think about it the more i dont need it once i get my car tuned. im getting rid of the f10 and swapping it with a e6k i think soon to get rid of my knock when im boostin. what are you running.. just a fmu?

Yeah, just an FMU. I await a unit that is worthy. The J&S does protect my engine when it does see brief knock.

The J&S is a great unit. It saved my friend's GSR a bunch of times... but it really helped when he wired his fuel pump wrong and was running 6psi!

Linux.. since you already have a J&S, your timing issues should be solved except for the fact you cant adjust timing by rpm... but the J&S is fine because you can put in x amount of retard per lb boost. Why don't you just get a F10 fuel controller and run larger injectors?

Because I am waiting on something else. The J&S will stay in when the other solution arrives too.

b_real45 said:
Are you referring to Microtech or the solution Flyin'Miata are working on?
I think everyone is waiting for those. Unfortunitly its just taking to damn long.
I would have considered the J&S until I saw Linux's track slip(no)
If thats what it takes to be safe, i might aswell take the damn turbo off the car, its just not worth it. If anything Pat I'd say drop the boost to 6 PSI, run 94 octane and scrap the J&S or atleast turn it damn near all the way down.

The thing is that I'm not sure if the J&S is what is doing it. I won't know until I do some testing.

Linux, P5s with cams and exhust are getting those times. I have only run a 1/4 mile a couple times but your car should be in the 14's no problem. Evena bad take off ad a bad shif would have ou in the mid 15's. Somethings up. I look at it this way. THe car ran a stock 16.7 1/4 mile. YOu spend over 5 grand to drop .8 seconds :wtf: Something isn't right here to me. You mentioned you had the big time tuner by you, let him get into that car and tune the crap out of it.

Well.. let's not concentrate on 1/4 mile times... worry about the trap speeds. What was your trap speed Linux? You can tell how much hp by your trap speeds. If you're running 6psi, you should have close to 190whp so that means you should have 100mph traps.. or even 99mph.

Ya.. definitely too much retarding. Linux.. you should try not setting any static retard at all... only mess with the variable retard (boost retard). Try only .5 deg per lb boost. You shouldn't have to retard that much.. unless you're running higher compression pistons.. I'm not too sure of your exact setup.

Or, just try no variable boost and only 2 deg of overall retard. Not sure which version of J&S you have tho.

Yeah, maybe Linux is dialing in too much retard.

The J&S can be set up with mid-range retard to pull timing based upon RPM and boost levels over a specified rpm range. The unit I am getting is programmed to do exactly that. Since the engine will "typically" knock at peak torque, I'll pull timing at that spot only, thus I'll have "normal" timing before and after. This is a great new feature (Linus doesn't have this). Then if there is a need for additional retard based upon boost level, I can set the J&S to pull timing starting at any level. So, I could pull 1 degree per psi, but start "late" and thus set it to only pull 2 degrees out when I'm at 6 psi. Seems workable to me.

Plus as Linux said, it will prevent your engine from blowing up. So, that's definitely a bonus!

Mode switches #3 and #4 are normally used to set the unit to one channel or two channel operation, and configure the I/O.

If we know in advance on which vehicle the unit will be installed, the configuration can be preset in the software. This will free up the switches for other uses.

Scroll down to paragraph 19 of the Focus install page for a description of the mid-range retard feature:

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/FocusInstall.html

deckedoutmp5 said:
patrick, you should get a e6k. if your tuned right you wont need retard control. i was thinking about buying a j&s but the more i think about it the more i dont need it once i get my car tuned. im getting rid of the f10 and swapping it with a e6k i think soon to get rid of my knock when im boostin. what are you running.. just a fmu?

what is the e6k?? is this product gonna be available from hiboost??

e6k controls fuel and timing as a full stand alone for those 2 things with changable maps, this way it can control your retard and what not. its cool .

when is this comming out and what is the cost???

are you selling your f10??

Back