Resolution to CX-5 "USB Error" message

gpeng

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Dropped off the car yesterday at 7:30 AM and they had it fixed by 9:30 AM. Didn't pick it up until this morning so I haven't had time to test it thoroughly yet.

To recap, the problem, which seems to affect a few owners, is that the infotainment unit eventually corrupts the USB flash drive containing music so that within a few weeks you get that error message. Curiously, the drives still otherwise function fine in PCs, etc. So that was strange.

Upon initial diagnosis the tech said that Mazda California was suggesting it was potentially a unit that sat between the USB port and the head unit. I don't know if that turned out to be the case.

What was the case is below:

Wiring Harness, op code Z0001XDX
Replace Auxiliary port, op code T1128XRX, Fail-CD KD45669U0
Replace bluetooth module, op code T1129XFX

The service advisor told me the tech replaced the bluetooth module, as shown above. It appears they replaced the Aux port as well.

Either way, it appears to work. More importantly, it works with the same flash drives, same content, no changes, that gave the USB Error message before.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that this will work. It appears they had a bad batch of modules or something.

Dropped off the car yesterday at 7:30 AM and they had it fixed by 9:30 AM. Didn't pick it up until this morning so I haven't had time to test it thoroughly yet.

To recap, the problem, which seems to affect a few owners, is that the infotainment unit eventually corrupts the USB flash drive containing music so that within a few weeks you get that error message. Curiously, the drives still otherwise function fine in PCs, etc. So that was strange.

Interesting. How old is your CX-5, if I may ask? I just got mine last week, and I am having issues in having the infotainment system read a 128GB pendrive. Yes, it is a very large one, but I wonder if my issue is related to the one you had.

My CX-5 is a 2014, built in 7/13, picked up 9/30 by me. The problem was there from the start, it just took me a few different flash drives to confirm that it was the unit and not the drives.

As for your 128gb drive, there could be any number of issues. First, a drive that size will take a while to catalog. Moreover, I'm not sure drives that size are FAT32, and I'm not sure the unit can read NTFS. So you might want to check into that.

As for the iPod issue, I never saw it as I don't use one. My guess would be if that there was one, this would've fixed it.

As for the iPod issue, I never saw it as I don't use one. My guess would be if that there was one, this would've fixed it.

If you're right that would be big news. Do you know anyone with an iPod you could use to try it?

Hate to bring up an old thread but while I'm not receiving an USB error msg, I'm having similar a usb flash drive issue. It just abruptly stopped working with the same usb flash drive with no changes made. Connecting my iphone or ipod works fine and the ipod option comes up. Any flash drive, however, won't show up at all. No error msg or anything, the USB tab is just greyed out the entire time. I'm bringing in my car tomorrow to the dealership with a printout of this just for something the techs to look into. Has anyone else had theirs fixed the same way gpeng had his? Any other fixes?

Encountered a similar issue within a week of getting the car. I would get the USB error message and the "USB" would be grayed out. Taking the USB stick and inserting it into my computer, the data was still there and visible, but when I clicked on an MP3 file, playback would "stutter" and intermittently cut out. The flashdrive was not physically damaged, but the data was corrupted. I reformatted the drive and copied the data back on it, and it was all good. Of course that is not a long-term solution if it happens more often and/or on a regular basis.

Took the car to the dealer and they documented it (though they could not replicate it), but as far as I can tell they did not do anything about it.

They just called me earlier and said it was my flash drive. I did format it a few times already. What file system does everyone use? Out of the box my Kingston flash drive was preformatted to exFat which should work with pretty much all modern equipment so I left it as is and it did read it initially but would stutter. I'm guessing that stutter is the corruption taking place. I couldn't format to FAT32 for some reason. My only options were exFat and NTSF. I'll try again on different computers to see if FAT32 works better. It could also be my flash drive as I was purposely looking for those tiny ones so it doesn't get in the way and I can leave it plugged in all the time. May have to use larger flash drivers. Could be the hardware. Will update once I get my car back and see which Sandisk flash drive they said worked in my car.

*update* Got my car back. They said it's my flash drive so I bought a Sony Micro Vault 32gb one and plugged in without any mp3's in it, I see the usb error msg. I formatted fat32 and put a few mp3's on it and it actually works. I'm not sure if it's the fat32 file system or my Kingston 64gb capacity and or requiring exfat or NTSF file system that's the issue. But it works for now so hopefully it'll stay working.

Last edited:
I wonder if system has issues with flash drives over a certain size? Just throwing that out there.. would someone with a small 8GB flash drive see the same issues?

My original 64gb exfat flash drive worked fine for a few days after I got the car but would always stutter on each track. Maybe it was just a fluke and it read it correctly but then stopped. My 32gb works fine now but the way the unit reads and plays the songs, ignoring folders and everything just plain sucks...

I believe there is a physical limitation of 32GB to format a USB stick to FAT32; if you have a higher capacity you will need a utility like this to format the flashdrive to FAT32. I don't believe the car's system reads NTSF.

Back