Reprogramming my ECU to MP3

Nikku772

:
03, Mazda Protege5
After finding and reading most of Protegefaq.net, I was wondering if trying to get my ECU reprogrammed is a ok idea? Anyone ever have this done? What are the pros and cons of it? Any luck getting someone at a dealership to do a under the table deal to get this done?

i believe member Spicy Orange does reflashes for $250 with a $100 back core charge. contact him
He has not been online since 03. At least that is what his profile says. Right now I want to hear about why one should or shouldn't do this. $250 is a lot, my uncle has a friend that maybe able to do it for me for free (he reprogrammed my old car) but if he can't then IDK... thats a lot of money just for 10HP and bad MPG.

And what would reprograming an ECU do for the car? Assume I'm stupid (boom06)
Im not to sure, but I thought the ECU controlled the throttle response, spark timing and fuel injection timing. I am guessing I have just asked something kind of dumb. What am I missing?

Edit:I never assume anyone else is stupid, only myself. So many questions. I still dont know if my protege has a LSD or not.

Last edited:
You got me Nikku772, I don't even know what an ECU is or does! But if reprogramming messes with the the throttle response, spark timing and fuel injection timing, count me out! Not messing with that stuff on my daily driver :)

You got me Nikku772, I don't even know what an ECU is or does! But if reprogramming messes with the the throttle response, spark timing and fuel injection timing, count me out! Not messing with that stuff on my daily driver :)
Well I was thinking after I read up on the Protege MP3 and reading about ECU reprogramming on protegefaq.net. I thought that since the MP3 was done by Mazda that is wouldn't hurt it as a daily driver. http://www.protegefaq.net/mods_engine.html#mp3ecu "Some private parties
on the forums also have the ability to reflash your normal Proteg's ECU to have
the MP3's programming. That is the cheapest solution." I read that and knew I should find out about this.

Limited-edition Proteg MP3 tune goodness.

Last edited:
I have an mp3 I get about 32mpg and I don't exactly baby it. The only real thing it does is advance the timing and smoothes out the power band. 03 is just when he joined the forum send him a message it wouldn't hurt.
Mp3 ECUs do require 93 octane or it will just retard the timing and wont be worth spending the money on.and you can only have a manual to do this
You have an open differential

I have an mp3 I get about 32mpg and I don't exactly baby it. The only real thing it does is advance the timing and smoothes out the power band. 03 is just when he joined the forum send him a message it wouldn't hurt.
Mp3 ECUs do require 93 octane or it will just retard the timing and wont be worth spending the money on.and you can only have a manual to do this
You have an open differential
Thank you, I will send him a message. I have a manual(breakn). That kind of mpg isnt that bad, and what I have read the protege5 gets about 28\30 right? So better MPG, but always running 93 octane could hurt it right?

Last edited:
Wouldn't really make a difference. Figure 93 is roughly 30 cent more per gallon its 4$ ish more for a fill up but and extra 3 or so MPG for 12 gallons is 36 more miles to a tank which is a little more than a gallon so theoreticaly you'll pay 30-50 cent more per fill up. It also doesn't factor in that people get between 26-38 MPG it varies depending on mods shape of engine trans and overall car I get better milage in the city than on highway. On highway I get 23-25 not exactly sure why its just got a lot of weird issues. You could save yourself the hassle and buy my. Mp3 needs roughly 3k worth of work

Im not to sure, but I thought the ECU controlled the throttle response, spark timing and fuel injection timing. I am guessing I have just asked something kind of dumb. What am I missing?

Edit:I never assume anyone else is stupid, only myself. So many questions. I still dont know if my protege has a LSD or not.

Well I'm stupid then! What the hell is a LSD? Damn :-(

Well I'm stupid then! What the hell is a LSD? Damn :-(
Limited slip differential. Keeps both wheels spinning. If you ever drove a rear wheel drive car off read without one only one wheel would spin and you wouldn't be going anywhere, and no burn outs. Or at least not cool ones. Pulling away from a light on a rainy day just to have one wheel spinning like a mad man and not really moving feels a bit silly.

Wow, I'm getting smarter by the hour. Learned all this today! Sorry for messing up your thread dude! ;-)

CEL: check engine light
ECU: engine control unit
MAF: mass airflow sensor
EGR valve: exhaust gas recirculation valve
LCD : Limited slip differential

Its all good sir. Speaking of CEL, mine is on, would this be due to my brother smashing out the 1st cat?

Yes gutting the cat on these cars will not make a power difference and a replacement precast from Mazda run$1 k... For your brothers sake I hope you don't live in Cali

Yes gutting the cat on these cars will not make a power difference and a replacement precast from Mazda run$1 k... For your brothers sake I hope you don't live in Cali
He does now live in Cali. That is why he left his car here, in Florida. How bad would it be for the car to delete the error code, turning off the CEL, and leaving it like that?

Last edited:
It will come back on get a header off eBay which will delete the Pre cat and the search for the non fouler trick on the forums. It will get rid of the cel give a good bit of top end power and the main cat is good enough to pass emissions

It will come back on get a header off eBay which will delete the Pre cat and the search for the non fouler trick on the forums. It will get rid of the cel give a good bit of top end power and the main cat is good enough to pass emissions
Could I do the non fouler trick before I get new a header? I am hoping to find a good deal here on the forum for headers, but i haven't seen anything yet. No tests in FL.

Also:
With a little bit of luck, you've just fooled your engine into thinking that your catalytic converter is working normally. Your emissions are higher than normal, and your fuel efficiency is a bit lower than normal, but you will pass your state-mandated emissions. Unless, of course, somebody who knows what they're doing looks under the car and sees the non-foulers.
What about that?

Last edited:
Back