Replacing Fuel Injectors and/or Seals and Rings?

:
bay area, CA
:
2002 Protege5
Here's my issue! Had this car for only a few weeks of actual driving. I'm about 70 miles away from home (70 miles away from my tools) and suddenly I get an awful gas leak when the engine is on: bigggg puddle dripping all over the ground and on the transmission, etc so I popped the hood and called a tow to a mechanic nearby. Bolts on the fuel rail looked loose. The mechanics said the fuel rail bolts had been hand tightened and came loose, so they torqued them back to spec and test drove it. No leak apparently. I drove it a 3 or 4 miles seemingly fine but when I turned it on again the leak smell was coming back badly - checked underneath and a smaller puddle this time. Popped the hood and the rightmost (driver side) fuel injector had a little pool of gas around it, and the next one over seemed a bit wet. I took it back to the mechanics and they're inspecting it at the moment.

In your opinions, what would cause such a significant leak that gas would be leaking so heavily? Should I be expecting a replacement of the injector seals and rings? If so I would love to do that following this guide:

Would a bad fuel injector(s) as well as seals cause such insane leaking out the top? I will update with the mechanics inspection, but I'm hoping to do this job myself if I can safely get all the parts and tools. Wish this had come up when I was at home but that's life !

Image attached is of the first leak. 😬

Attachments

• IMG-6388.jpg
    IMG-6388.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Update: The mechanics said the seals were indeed bad, quoted me $390 to replace them so I will be ordering the 158 0898 injector seal kits from the closest O'reilly and pulling together the tools, should be fun

Those little seals are friggin expensive from Mazda! $90NZD for 4 from memory

When you do the swap, make sure you follow the procedure in the manual to depressurize the fuel system before you take stuff apart, keep it all super clean and you'll be right 👍

I used GB REMANUFACTURING 8011 you will need 4 of those packs from rock auto, i wasn't leaking fuel but had a vacuum leak where the injector meets the intake. there was one extra seal in each pack that was for another application it is compatible with I reckon. also, make sure the spacers are present or in good condition there is one for each of the four bolts holing the fuel rail to the Intake. I dropped one and had to fish that one back out.

Back