Replacing A/C Compressor, please double check my process

flowfish

:
2003 Protege5
I'm going to be replacing my A/C compressor, I was wondering if someone could double check to make sure if I've missed anything.

I've ordered a new A/C compressor with clutch, receiver/dryer, and belt.

My process was going to be:
- Have r134 evacuated
- Check oil in new compressor (5oz if I'm reading it right in the manual), is PAG100 correct? Do new ones normally come with oil in them?
- Loosen P/S bolts, remove old belt
- Replace compressor
- Replace receiver/dryer
- Put new belt on
- Put vacuum pump on for an hour
- Recharge with 21oz of r134.

Anything I'm missing?

That sounds about right, I don't recall where the orifice tube is on the Protege but it must be replaced as well. Compressor should have oil already in it, I always pour out the oil into a cup to be sure there is the right amount.

Thanks for the reply...the one thing I can't find is where to put the oil for the compressor...does it have its own drain/fill plug?

Last edited:
You just put it right in the hole where the lines bolt up, you have to turn the pulley to spin the compressor to get the oil in/out. The compressor will already be filled but it is best to remove the cap where the line goes and pour out the oil inside to ensure it is filled with the correct amount.

Just a follow-up, everything went well. In case any other noobs like me are attempting this, here is some info. My compressor had started to squeal a bit when it kicked on....then I was getting warm air....then the pulley on my compressor starting getting wobbly and making a loud racket so I figured the clutch had gone bad (or bearings in the clutch maybe). I added some r134 with dye to check for leaks anywhere else in the system before changing the compressor, I couldn't find any.

New compressor (from ebay $315) came with 1.5oz of oil so I made up the difference to 5 oz with PAG100 poured into the low/suction side as I turned the compressor shaft. I had gotten the refrigerant evacuated a shop($40) previously. Old compressor came off easy from underneath the car after taking off the splash shield, mounted the new one, bolted in the lines. The mounting bracket bolt for the receiver/drier was a little hard to get to, but it came off easy. Getting the connector off of the old drier was the hardest part, looks like I need to invest in a bench vise. I put 0.3 oz of oil into the new receiver as per the manual.

Hooked everything back up (including a new accessory belt) and rented a set of manifold gauges and vacuum pump from Autozone. Put it on vacuum for an hour, then closed off the valves on the gauges and turned off the vacuum. To check for leaks I let it set for 15 minutes and it held the vacuum pressure. I then charged it with 21oz of refrigerant and it is working great. It runs so quiet now that when I first started it I didn't actually think it had started...I guess I had gotten used to how loud the pulley had gotten.

Anyway thanks for all the help and advice, this is a great forum.

Also I bought a new expansion valve but when I went to remove the low side cooler hose, I realized I need a special tool or something. Also looking at the manual and evaporator core it seemed like a complicated job so I didn't attempt it. I figured if something goes bad later I shouldn't have to mess with the compressor side so I can attempt this with the proper tools.

Thanks for the post. Takes some of the fear away as I've never worked with AC related stuff before.

Rockauto has a kit that includes all the O-rings, drier and all that. Did you replace the o-rings in your fix? The picture of the piece makes it looks like a ton of o-rings.

My compressor seized, so I gotta get this done soon before it gets too hot.

Back