Replacing 2012 Mazda5 muffler. Help

:
mazda 5
Hi All,

Has anyone replaced the exhaust on their 2012 and up 5?

I need to replace the resonator pipe and muffler on my 12. It looks like there are different versions from the 2010 to the 2012 and up based on the OEM part #'s. The only aftermarket muffler (p/n 40173) I could find was from AP emissions but it lists the earlier and later exhausts as the same part number. Same for the resonator pipe (p/n 68539).

Thanks,

So I've been procrastinating on this due to no clear answer to whether the older system will fit. My mechanic had it up on a lift for a front wheel bearing and it looks like I need to replace it all from the downpipe back. OEM cost is crazy, pretty much the same as what the 5 is worth now. Has anyone replaced an exhaust on a 12+ with an earlier system? AP emissions still has the same info on their site. Weirdly enough the resonator pipe (68539) is listed as compatible with up to 2010 all and only with the A/T for 12-15? I have no idea what the difference would be?

I had a rusted out exhaust around where it curves to go around the rear wheel, so had to replace the pipe. My mechanic saw the same thing you encountered with the OEM prices being ridiculous. He was able to find an OEM part starting behind the CAT (which was fine) for a fraction of the cost. Just needed to have his welder cut and install the new pipe.

Thanks Icspots,
So it was a used OEM part your mechanic found? I'm about to bite the bullet and order the aftermarket 2010 parts, cross my fingers and see what the mechanic says when he tries to install it.

I did a little search of my own and learned that trying to find Mazda 5 parts is a lesson in sifting through Mazda MX-5 and CX-5 parts.

Good luck on the search...have you tried local junkyards and/or craigslist for a used one? Maybe you'll get lucky. I'm sick of going through MX-5 parts or I'd keep lurking. :geek:

EDIT:

Not sure where you're located, but this guy has one in Florida that you can pick up.

Thanks Natey,
I'm a bit far from FL to pick it up, like Canada far. I'm just shopping around now for the 2010 system and will report back if it fits. Most of the stuff appears to be the same according to rock auto. There's a weird note about the mid pipe being for auto trans only on the 12+ but I cant see why? the manifold, catalytic and muffler are all the same part #'s, so why would the pipe in between be different?

I'm thinking probably because the auto tranny has a transmission cooler or something of the sort that makes it a different shape than the manual, so the pipe runs around it a little differently?

That's 100% thinking out loud. I really have no idea. lol

I really have no idea. The resonator/mid pipe that's supposedly different runs from about the edge of the front seat to the back of the middle seat. There's nothing there that is related to the transmission. I ordered the parts today. should have them mid week and will report back

1604692059189.png

I really have no idea. The resonator/mid pipe that's supposedly different runs from about the edge of the front seat to the back of the middle seat. There's nothing there that is related to the transmission. I ordered the parts today. should have them mid week and will report back

View attachment 228803

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. My mechanic ordered an OE part from a dealer IIRC. The part was new/unused. It was funny because they’d given me the quote for the whole system. Then I went online and found a cheaper option for the part I needed right as he was calling me back to say he’d found a cheaper part. It may have been aftermarket, but we’re talking about a piece of formed exhaust pipe.... it isn’t rocket science. The part I got was the 65539 in the picture above. It was rusted out and leaking in the bend towards the bottom of the graphic. It’s welded to the cat in the front, but the cat was fine, so they cut the pipe and welded the new pipe onto it.

Well the good news is a 2010 Walker OEM replacement/aftermarket system for the cat, midpipe/resonator, and muffler fits...... Sort of. I have a hitch and the brackets for it eat into the area where the muffler lives. I had to add a hanger to better control it at the muffler outlet to prevent it rattling against the hitch bracket. Still no idea why the mid pipe is listed as auto only above. Maybe they haven't tested it on a manual?
I think we may have different descriptions of Aftermarket and OEM. I use aftermarket to describe a part that is the same functionally as an OEM Mazda part, but not necessarily the same looking or from the same manufacturer.

Savage autoparts hooked me up with an aftermarket replacement that was an exact fit but was not confirmed for the 2012 and it was cheap, hardest part was stretching the hangers to reach over the hooks, and keeping the disentegrating heat shield debree outta my eyes!

Back