Replacement Tires for 2009 Mazda 5 GT

jeffc

:
Mazda 5
Looking for some feedback on some replacement tires for my 09 GT. Canadian Tire has Eagle GT's on for $143 / tire but the reviews seem mixed on them. Also I have looked online and the Hankook Ventus line gets good reviews, either the V2 or V4 and I can get those for a similar price shipped to my door all in. Any thoughts on either of these or something else? I'm in Ottawa if that makes a difference

Falken awsome tires!

I put a set of Falken ZIEX ZE912s (205/50/ZR17)on Summer before last. Love them sticky, great handeling. I travel 100KM Plus daily and they are holding up well, it gets a lot hotter here than Ottawa, Looks like I should get three seasons out of them no problem. And they were only about $100.00 buck each, from 1010TIRE.COM. I ran basic Crappy Tire winters on 15" steel rims for winter. Pardon the pun, but they're Falken Great!

Continental DWS. All cars should come from the factory with the DWS. Great wet and dry traction, very good snow and winter traction.

I've had great luck with Yokohama Avid Envigor tires. I've put them on 3 different vehicles and have loved them. You can get them for about $125 from discounttiredirect.com which includes shipping.

ended up going with the Yokohama Avid Ascends from discountsontires.com, a canadian site out of montreal. shipped and to my door in 2 days. still need to get them installed but they look great.

I've run the 912's on multiple cars from crx's to subarus and I like them as well. Awesome tire when the price matters.

I love the Yokohama S-Drives, and the envigor is a slightly more durable option (although I have not had them on my 5). I just installed a set of Bridgestone RE 760s from Pneus Lavoie on ours after 4 summers on the stock Toyos. Really happy after almost 8000 km. We run snow tires on ours, so winter traction was not a concern for us.

Continental DWS. All cars should come from the factory with the DWS. Great wet and dry traction, very good snow and winter traction.

My experience with DWS - first set had ride quality problems - would give bad vibrations compared to the cheapo Nikkos I had before - had them balanced several times ... discounttires replaced set. Second set has settled down after they aged a bit. They handle well. For some reason, the 215 size is cheaper than the smaller 205 size - you may want to price the difference.

I'm not sure if the DWS are worth the price premium - depends on how long they last. I'd make sure to get tires with a decent wear warranty since our Mazda5s seem to eat tires - I don't think I have gotten better than ~25k miles on any of the sets I've put on the 5. Compared to about 80k miles on my old Honda (Michelins).

Hmm. We'll have gotten somewhere around 45-50k miles from a set of kumho ecsta lx platinums when we replace before the winter on our 2008 stock setup. Good in dry weather, but somewhat poorer in rain and really bad in snow (although I'm still not sure it just isn't the characteristics of the car in the snow). I'm thinking of going with the Continental PureContact for the replacement set. A 700 treadwear and 6 year/70,000 mileage warranty should hold up really well on this car. http://www.continentaltire.com/www/tires_us_en/themes/car_tires/performance/contipurecontact_en.html

Both of my suggestions have been brought up, Conti DWS or Kuhmo LX Platinums. We've had great results with both.

Within a month or two, all three of our cars will have the Continentals on them.

I've got 45k on Michelin Exalto A/S tires on my 08 5. They are by far the best tires I've had on the car in 113k. They are a bit pricey, but I have to say they ride as well at their current mileage as they did brand new. I'm not sure if I'll replace them with Michelin tires again(last time I got a great deal), but I'm thinking about it.

I've got 45k on Michelin Exalto A/S tires on my 08 5.

Is that 45k miles or km? With the present rate of wear, how many more miles/km would you expect? It may turn out that a more expensive tire will last longer - which will be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks

Wow, I've yet to get 20k miles out of a set in the 16 years I've been driving. I average about 10-15k miles on a set. And that's with frequent checking and rotating when necessary. I'm not really a normal driver though.

That is 45k miles. I'm thinking a few thousand more. I haven't hit the wear bars yet. I have thought about the more expensive tire/cheaper in the long run argument a few times. I've been looking at the Yokohama yk580's, which are about 60 bucks cheaper a tire. With 113k on the vehicle, I want to make sure this is the last set of tires I put on it.

I've got 45k on Michelin Exalto A/S tires on my 08 5. They are by far the best tires I've had on the car in 113k. They are a bit pricey...
Those are the tires I have on my '09 Mazda5 Sport though I downsized to 16" wheels. If you downsize one of the advantages is cheaper tires. As an example the 16" Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires are $121 while the 17" tires are $167, both prices are from Tire Rack. Plus a lot more choices, again from Tire Rack, there are 23 Michelin results in the 205/55R16 size and 10 Michelin results in the 205/50R17 size.

Do NOT buy Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 tires. I've liked other sets of Sumitomos on other cars (they're one of the monster tire mother companies) but these in 235/45-17 are just about as noisy as they come- they're louder than my near R-compound Hankooks on the S2000. Wet traction is almost nil, dry is average. The only good part is the price, and the local tire guy's recommendation.

Back